The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Sergei Kostitsyn

czechomania

Sergei Kostitsyn has been every bit as good as he was last season despite losing OHL star Robbie Schremp, with 11 goals and 33 points in 23 games. He's adapted very well to the North American game and hopefully he and his brother will one day make it to the NHL!

Just as a sidenote, last night he had a 4-point night which he capped off by scoring a 3-on-5 shorthanded goal in OT... Very impressive.

#15 Sergei Kostitsyn: http://www.canadiens.com/eng/team/redirect...;playerID=30424

Guest arpem_can

I'm from London so I've seen this kid lots because Rogers show a ton of Knights game[you cant get a ticket]...he had a slower start this year because somehow London came up with some great young players this year [yet again]..they've got two American kids Kane and Meckler who are outstanding and Gagner ...Kane and Gagner are one two in the League in scoring [at least they were last time I looked]and Dale Hunter is really big on playing his top line a lot as well as on the PP..Sergei stepped it up about 6 games ago and is ON FIRE right now ..he plays the right side point on PPs and has a tremendous wrist shot..very accurate and hard...hes not really that tough..never seen him in a fight and not really that big but is truly a finesse player...watch for him he 'll crack the line-up in 3 yrs or less

Time to reunite him with his brother.......if that is possible?????

What are the rules????

He's eligable for the AHL, but I don't know if he can now that the OHL season has started. Besides, it's good for him to play on a team where he gets lots of minutes, PP and PK time and a leadership role (He's an A).

Guest montreal
Time to reunite him with his brother.......if that is possible?????

What are the rules????

No he can't go now until London's season is over. I suspect they will bring him up then, same with Carey Price, so it's possible that they at least join Hamilton, hopefully for their playoff run, just to see what it's like, can't hurt.

The London Knights will indeed make the playoffs. They are a powerhouse in the OHL, and Sergei is an assistant captain, as well as third best scorer.

but yeah, I think if they fell apart (i.e. half the team got mono or something), then Sergei could join the Hamilton team.

Guest montreal
Only reason this happened with Chipchura that he got to play 8 games last year was because

A . He's 20

B. He's eligible for the AHL

C. His Team did NOT make the playoffs

Kostitsyns will most likely, and the way things are going so might price.

Both London and Tri City will likely make the playoffs baring a total meltdown. London for sure will be there, Tri City is in 2nd place, with Portland looking to be out of the playoffs at this point as they are far behind.

But the playoffs in the OHL and WHL get started around the 20th of March. So it all depends on how well they do in the playoffs, how long they last. Hamilton's season doesn't end until April 15th. They are in 2nd place, so if they can hold on to a playoff spot, with playoffs starting around April 19th/20th, then that could give one or both Price and Kostitsyn the chance to join Hamilton.

Not saying they need to dress in any games but it wouldn't hurt to join the team. Jaroslav Halak joined the Dogs after Lewiston's season was over, he never dressed but got to work out with the team.

So if his team didn't make the playoffs, he could go in AHL?

Yup.

However im not 100% sure if you can sign a professional contract the second you turn 20, i think if you started the year in junior you must end it in junior. If the the Professional ranks continue on after your junior season in the same year which is also your possible last junior season, only then can you go Professional.

Yup.

However im not 100% sure if you can sign a professional contract the second you turn 20, i think if you started the year in junior you must end it in junior. If the the Professional ranks continue on after your junior season in the same year which is also your possible last junior season, only then can you go Professional.

Ok thanks for the info.

Guest BadBrains
Yup.

As far as I know, Sergei could have played in Hamilton this season but Habs management wanted him to assume a leadership role in London.

Players drafted from outside of North America are not subject to the 20 years of age clause. I'm 90% sure of this, but don't feeling like going through pages of documents to verify it. If I'm wrong, let me know.

The rule is true

Andrei Kostitsyn played in Hamilton as a 19 year old simply because he is a european draftee and did not play in any CHL league.

however, Sergei, has played a year and a half in a north american junior rank.

Nullifying the European rule, and can only go to the AHL as a 20 year old and when his final junior year eligibilty ends.

Guest BadBrains
The rule is true

Andrei Kostitsyn played in Hamilton as a 19 year old simply because he is a european draftee and did not play in any CHL league.

however, Sergei, has played a year and a half in a north american junior rank.

Nullifying the European rule, and can only go to the AHL as a 20 year old and when his final junior year eligibilty ends.

I guess you've done your homework. This full year in London will be good for him, anyway.

Guest montreal
Yup.

You don't have to be 20 to sign a pro contract, the age limit doesn't matter there. Also you don't have to be 20 to play in the AHL if you are a CHLer. You can play in the AHL at 19 as long as you turn 20 before Jan 1st of any year. Matt D'Agostini was 19 and didn't turn 20 till Oct 23rd, a month into the season.

But your right, you can't go to the AHL until your junior season is over.

You don't have to be 20 to sign a pro contract, the age limit doesn't matter there.  Also you don't have to be 20 to play in the AHL if you are a CHLer.  You can play in the AHL at 19 as long as you turn 20 before Jan 1st of any year.  Matt D'Agostini was 19 and didn't turn 20 till Oct 23rd, a month into the season.  

lol what am i thinking, even GUILLAUME LATENDRESSE signed a pro contract at 19.

You don't have to be 20 to sign a pro contract, the age limit doesn't matter there.  Also you don't have to be 20 to play in the AHL if you are a CHLer.  You can play in the AHL at 19 as long as you turn 20 before Jan 1st of any year.  Matt D'Agostini was 19 and didn't turn 20 till Oct 23rd, a month into the season.  

Also Mathieu Aubin

Guest vegasrick

This guy is another Sidney Crosby! That's a great video.

And we have BOTH Kostitsyns in our farm system??? *drool, drool*

We have a bright future!

Oh, and.......he scored an OT game-winning goal while shorthanded 5-on-3. Oh, my gosh, that's gotta be the ultimate way to take a team down!

Archived