The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

41 Mathieu Biron

NDGHab

Guest Captain Koivu#11

I didn't like Travers, so I already like this trade. And he's only 26 years old compared to Travers' 32, which makes the trade so much better.

Guest Captain Koivu#11
lol 3 points 2 goals in 2 games with Hamilton

Good to hear he is starting with Hamilton on a good note. Anyone think he will EVENTUALLY make it to the Habs? In other words, he any good?

Guest natey2k4
Good to hear he is starting with Hamilton on a good note. Anyone think he will EVENTUALLY make it to the Habs? In other words, he any good?

He's only 26, there's a good chance, if we keep him under contract, he could make the team sometime down the road. He's a big presence on the blueline, at 6'6 and 230lbs, and he has shown he can put the puck in the net in the AHL. Defenders don't usually develop right away and take time, look at Komisarek and Hainsey. Phaneuf was an exception, and they're arent many exceptions anymore. Biron still has a shot to be a good player in a couple of years, especially if he keeps racking up points in the AHL like he has.

Guest habs_fan1160

I like Biron always have.

Glad to see he's part of the team. Plus now we can all go back to talking about how much we hate Traverse lol, which we couldn't do when he was in the system.

But seriously, this was a great move.

Much younger and more effective. I think some day he will be sent up to the NHL, Biron is talented.

Guest kjdriedger

What is San Jose on? PLus, this is great for depth. It's not unheard of for teams to need to call upon their 7, 8, and 9th defence men. A little competition doesn't hurt either. Just his age alone adds competition to the Bulldogs IMO.

Guest RadioGaGa

When I saw Montreal had traded for Biron I thought (for a split second) that something had happened to one of our goalies and that Buffalo had lost it's mind to trade Biron within the division.

...then I clicked the link...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest MTL_RULES
He's only 26, there's a good chance, if we keep him under contract, he could make the team sometime down the road. He's a big presence on the blueline, at 6'6 and 230lbs, and he has shown he can put the puck in the net in the AHL. Defenders don't usually develop right away and take time, look at Komisarek and Hainsey. Phaneuf was an exception, and they're arent many exceptions anymore. Biron still has a shot to be a good player in a couple of years, especially if he keeps racking up points in the AHL like he has.

Derien Hatcher is a big presence on the blueline too. He's too slow.

• 3 months later...

Good to have him under contract. I didn't realize that he finished first scorer amongst defensemen in Hamilton last year with 39 pts in 77 games! Good insurance policy for sure.

Guest 1970 Habs
Good to have him under contract. I didn't realize that he finished first scorer amongst defensemen in Hamilton last year with 39 pts in 77 games! Good insurance policy for sure.

Agreed, with his performance he deserved another contract. He is a good role model in Hamilton for the younger D-men and should help develop them.

I agree... and if some of the "D" currently under contract with the Habs don't measure up he could play a decent role as a replacement... at 26-27 his time has to be now or very soon if he isn't going to be a career AHL'er.

Biron has NHL experience... just because it may not have worked out for him elswhere doesn't mean he can't be better with the Habs. I like his size and the results he has produced given his circumstance. He deserves a shot at raining camp as much as others do IMO. It could be a pleasnt surprise.

The only thing he needs to work on is using his size more effectively and to his advantage. Everything else is pretty much set.

He even skates well for a guy as tall as he is and not afraid to lead the rush the odd time.

A lot of people trashed him when we first acquired him, but when I was able to watch the AHL playoffs at the MTS Centre, he was certainly one of the better players for Hamilton.

Am I the only one worried (if you can call it that) about Bouillon and Dandenault's future in Montreal, with the emergence of Biron, O'Byrne, with Josh Gorges and Jaimie Rivers? Has JP Côté been signed?

Call me crazy but I think that Biron has a shot at making the big club next year...

Am I the only one worried (if you can call it that) about Bouillon and Dandenault's future in Montreal, with the emergence of Biron, O'Byrne, with Josh Gorges and Jaimie Rivers? Has JP Côté been signed?

Call me crazy but I think that Biron has a shot at making the big club next year...

If we can move one of Dandy/Bou, then I might agree. I think O'Byrne is the probable "first call-up", but anything can happen in training camp.

Guest TheBlaster

I saw Biron play in Hamilton a lot this past season, and he and O'Byrne were the two stand-outs for me. Cote as well, but mostly those two. The thing with Biron is, he pinches a lot. In the playoffs I noticed he was smarter about it, but he's a live by the sword die by the sword kind of player. I could see him playing with the Habs this year for sure, but he'd have to be paired with a good defensive d-man for it to work. I'm thinking someone like O'Byrne or Hamrlik.

I think the defensive lines could look something like this:

Markov-Komisarek

Hamrlik-O'Byrne/Biron

O-Byrne/Biron- Dandenault/Boullion

Reserve: Dandenault/Boullion

I think Gorges will be either traded or in Hamilton to start the season (not sure if he has to clear waivers or not), and I hope the same for Boullion because we have far better options. Cote will be first in line for a callup, Gorges second.

Just my guess. We have a glutton of capable defencemen, a great problem to have, but one which will more than likely lead to a trade of some sort simply because we won't have room for them all...especially when McDonagh and Fischer are ready for the AHL, and with Valentenko in Hamilton as well. Someone's gotta go, there's just no room.

Anyway, Biron is pretty solid, look for him to make the big club out of camp.

Guest 1970 Habs

I think Biron's role is the same as Jancevski and that is to help the young defenceman develop in Hamilton.

He will play much the same role as Markov and Hamrlik for the young D in Montreal (Komisarek, Gorges and I am hoping O'byrne this year).

I saw Biron play in Hamilton a lot this past season, and he and O'Byrne were the two stand-outs for me. Cote as well, but mostly those two. The thing with Biron is, he pinches a lot. In the playoffs I noticed he was smarter about it, but he's a live by the sword die by the sword kind of player. I could see him playing with the Habs this year for sure, but he'd have to be paired with a good defensive d-man for it to work. I'm thinking someone like O'Byrne or Hamrlik.

I think the defensive lines could look something like this:

Markov-Komisarek

Hamrlik-O'Byrne/Biron

O-Byrne/Biron- Dandenault/Boullion

Reserve: Dandenault/Boullion

I think Gorges will be either traded or in Hamilton to start the season (not sure if he has to clear waivers or not), and I hope the same for Boullion because we have far better options. Cote will be first in line for a callup, Gorges second.

Just my guess. We have a glutton of capable defencemen, a great problem to have, but one which will more than likely lead to a trade of some sort simply because we won't have room for them all...especially when McDonagh and Fischer are ready for the AHL, and with Valentenko in Hamilton as well. Someone's gotta go, there's just no room.

Anyway, Biron is pretty solid, look for him to make the big club out of camp.

Markov - Komisarek (very good line)

Hamrlik - Biron (Good unique line)

Boullion - ???? /Dandenault/O-Byrne

I would like to se the line more like this.

You are crazy... but not as regards this... Biron could make the big club and I would think that Bouillon is the player on the way out.

Archived