The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

which current hab has been the best drafted by the habs?

jordanjordan

Guest f30marco

hey guys just wondering which player do you guys think has been the best drafted player by the habs? my pick goes to koivu.

Here are the players on our current roster drafted by us...

21 Christopher Higgins 1st pick (14) - 2002 (1st round)

11 Saku Koivu 1st pick (21) - 1993 (1st round)

8 Mike Komisarek 1st pick (7) - 2001 (1st round)

40 Maxim Lapierre 3rd pick (61) - 2003 (3rd round)

84 Guillaume Latendresse 2nd pick (45) - 2005 (2nd round)

79 Andrei Markov 6th pick (162) - 1998 (6th round)

62 Duncan Milroy 3rd pick (37) - 2001 (2nd round)

42 Alexander Perezhogin 2nd pick (25) - 2001 (1st round)

35 Tomas Plekanec 4th pick (71) - 2001 (3rd round)

52 Craig Rivet 4th pick (68) - 1992 (3rd round)

73 Michael Ryder 9th pick (216) - 1998 (8th round)

32 Mark Streit 8th pick (262) - 2004 (9th round)

41 Jaroslav Halak 11th pick (271) - 2003 (9th round)

Here are the players on our current roster who have been drafted by us...

21 Christopher Higgins 1st pick (14) - 2002 (1st round)

11 Saku Koivu 1st pick (21) - 1993 (1st round)

8 Mike Komisarek 1st pick (7) - 2001 (1st round)

40 Maxim Lapierre 3rd pick (61) - 2003 (3rd round)

84 Guillaume Latendresse 2nd pick (45) - 2005 (2nd round)

79 Andrei Markov 6th pick (162) - 1998 (6th round)

62 Duncan Milroy 3rd pick (37) - 2001 (2nd round)

42 Alexander Perezhogin 2nd pick (25) - 2001 (1st round)

35 Tomas Plekanec 4th pick (71) - 2001 (3rd round)

52 Craig Rivet 4th pick (68) - 1992 (3rd round)

73 Michael Ryder 9th pick (216) - 1998 (8th round)

32 Mark Streit 8th pick (262) - 2004 (9th round)

41 Jaroslav Halak 11th pick (271) - 2003 (9th round)

Gah, you beat me to it, JL! ;)

Based on draft round/position, IMO Markov is the clear winner. Certainly some of this has to do with the fact he was drafted as a forward, but either way he's a star on this team & to get him that late was a steal.

Ryder deserves credit as a very late draft pick who would be a top 6 forward on most teams in the league.

There are others that remain to be seen: lats, halak, pleks etc.

Guest LarryRobinson

How are people going with Markov and Higgins over Koivu. The question isnt who is "potentially" the best draft pick.

Koivu has brought more to the Habs then most players in the NHL have brought to their respective teams i.e. leadership, heart, playmaking ability, and at times a scorer's mentality. Markov is definitely a greatly skilled defensemen, but Koivu has been our backbone for years, and I realize we are talking 1st round vs. 6th round, and that value-wise it has to be Markov...but to draft a player such as Koivu who is able to captain the Habs, and deal with all that comes with the captaincy, makes him the best pick in my eyes.

You know for a 7th round pick Komiserak is quite a bust...

What more can you want from a stay at home dman? He was drafted as such & is becoming a force. There may not be a better, young punishing defensive dman in the league. This is a kid (only in his second full nhl season) who is out on the first PK unit 5 - 3 every single time.

I would call him anything but a bust IMHO.

How are people going with Markov and Higgins over Koivu.  The question isnt who is "potentially" the best draft pick.

No, the question is: who has been the best drafted player?

IN other words, Crosby may be the best player in the league but someone who is 10th overall in scoring and was drafted in the 7th round was probably a better "pick" - 1st overall was a no brainer.

Guest Miltie01
What more can you want from a stay at home dman? He was drafted as such & is becoming a force.  There may not be a better, young punishing defensive dman in the league. This is a kid (only in his second full nhl season) who is out on the first PK unit 5 - 3 every single time.  

In general terms, they say it takes a Dman 5 years to reach maturity in the NHL. Can you imagine this kid in 3 more seasons? He is going to be a montser that is for sure.

Guest LarryRobinson
No, the question is: who has been the best drafted player?

IN other words, Crosby may be the best player in the league but someone who is 10th overall in scoring and was drafted in the 7th round was probably a better "pick" - 1st overall was a no brainer.

But again, I guess Im not reading it right. The question is not, "who was the best pick" as in who gave maximum value at minimum cost -- see Markov.

I answered the question, "Who has been the best drafted player" by reading it completely literally. The answer is Koivu.

I think Markov and Ryder. Koivu and Higgins are great, but they're both 1st rounders. Markov is 6th round and Ryder I believe is 8th round.

Excellent scouting(and perhaps a bit of luck ;)) by Andre Savard!

What more can you want from a stay at home dman? He was drafted as such & is becoming a force.  There may not be a better, young punishing defensive dman in the league. This is a kid (only in his second full nhl season) who is out on the first PK unit 5 - 3 every single time.  

I thought he was drafted as an offensive dman?

I might be wrong on this, I wasn't really following hockey much back then.

But again, I guess Im not reading it right.  The question is not, "who was the best pick" as in who gave maximum value at minimum cost -- see Markov.  

I answered the question, "Who has been the best drafted player" by reading it completely literally.  The answer is Koivu.

There's no question its open to debate about the actual meaning of the sentence. I think most of us read it as "who was the better draft" not the you're reading it - otherwise it would just be who is our best player (that we drafted ourselves). Mind you, maybe that was the initial intent of the thread, in which case, most of us are reading it wrong! ;)

I thought he was drafted as an offensive dman?  

I might be wrong on this, I wasn't really following hockey much back then.

Hrm. I dont think so, Graeme - although my memory is failing me these days...so.

Based on his stats in junior though, Im pretty sure they expected him to be a bruising stay at home defender.

1999-00 US Jr. National Team 51games 13 pts

2000-01 U. of Michigan 41games 16 pts

---------------he was drafted after this season

2001-02 U. of Michigan 39 11 19 30

and then he was in hamilton.

Guest crazyhorse_9000

Markov has been an unsatisfying winger IMO ;)

But seriously I think Koivu has so far been the best drafted Canadiens player, even though Markov is a better hockey player. Hes got some years and serious work to outdue a captain who has overcome what Koivu has.

Hrm. I dont think so, Graeme - although my memory is failing me these days...so.

I know I heard this season some commentator say that he was drafted as an offensive guy, but some of these so called "experts" have said some downright bizarre things in the past, so that may be why. Your right those stats don't look particularly impressive (although I'm not sure how high scoring college hockey is - plus some guys are drafted as offensive dmen even without the points - look at our first round pick this year).

I'm not arguing with you, because your probably right, and I didn't follow hockey enough then to know what reason they had for drafting him. Just explaining why I said that.

Archived