The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Former Habs and How they Are Doing

Guest Steckle

Guest Steckle

Im not sure if this is already out there since i couldnt search it for some reason but i feel that we should have a place to talk about some of our favorite former Habs players and past moments and comment on other past Habs info you might interesting because i beleive the thistory of the Habs is as important as the present

Im not sure if this is already out there since i couldnt search it for some reason but i feel that we should have a place to talk about some of our favorite former Habs players and past moments and comment on other past Habs info you might interesting because i beleive the thistory of the Habs is as important as the present[/quote:23c34b2424] frank mahovalich tied my skates for me when i was like 3 or 4 yrs old. i don't really remember it as i was so small. it was at the staynor st. outdoor rink which is a couple of blocks from the old forum. remember outdoor rinks everyone. there used to be one on every second block back in the day. it is too warm now to have them for very long. that is very sad. honestly Bob Gainey is probably my all-time favorite player. very business like on the ice, not a show-boat at all, not like all the pre-madonnas that play now! :D

Guest Steckle

nice those are all great players and goalies my fav even though i never got to see him play would be plante because f all e did for the game

i also really like that story that must been some moment

Guest KOIVU#11

Dennis Savard with his spin-a-ramas was the most entertaining Habs player I've watched considering I wasn't alive to watch Richard, Lafleur etc.

Guest Pathabsfan

In the 70's when I grew it was Guy Guy Guy.... I still remember anytime he's pick up the puck and zoom down the right side the Forum would get up on their feet and wait for that red light to come on.... (you would never see the puck go in until the net moved!). I met Guy on numerous occasion as my soccer field was near his house in Baie D'Urfe..

#1 class guy along with Big Bird. I also met Mats Naslund and I taught his son Daniel how to ski.... Great person too. He drove a beautiful dark blue Saab!

Yvon Lambert was actually a decent player. Sure, he was known as a tough guy. However, who will ever forget, who lived during that time, the goal he scored in overtime to beat Boston in the now legendary too many men on the ice Game 7 of the 1979 Wales Conference (If my memory serves me right - it was known as the Eastern Conference at the time).

Boston got caught with too many men on the ice near the end of the game while making a substitution, and that was all it took for Guy Lafleur to tie the game, which then went into overtime, where Lambert scored the winner.

Sure, he and Rick Chartraw could rumble with the Philadelphias and Bostons of the world, but they were also decent players. They were the kind of character guys Scotty Bowman loved to have as role players who could produce when necessary.

Guest FREDDYBEACH HAB

All of the players mentioned are great and those that follow will be also. My favorite player was the Montreal Forum, it put fear in the hearts of mortal men. All the great teams of the past, just made it more so. That barn had a life of it's own.

when i was 7 or so(we're talking about 30 years ago ) there was a game in Lasalle old habs vs the CN.

the Rocket was the referee and i was wearing a hand me down habs jersey made of wool that had #9 in the back .

at the end of the game i had my back turn to the ice and my dad was helping me put on my jacket when he looked up and his face froze.

i was wondering why so i turned around and there he was the Rocket to hand me the puck of the game.

he said something like "nice jersey you got there" i said thank you!

he shaked my fathers hand and skate away across the ice to the locker rooms.

my dad was practicly in tears for a few minutes after.

he had just shaked the hand of his idol.

i'd never had seen the Rocket before so my first reaction was how nice that the referee gave me the puck.

has i write this i still see my fathers face when the Rocket faced him.

when i was 7 or so(we're talking about 30 years ago ) there was a game in Lasalle old habs vs the CN.

the Rocket was the referee and i was wearing a hand me down habs jersey made of wool that had #9 in the back .

at the end of the game i had my back turn to the ice and my dad was helping me put on my jacket when he looked up and his face froze.

i was wondering why so i turned around and there he was the Rocket to hand me the puck of the game.

he said something like "nice jersey you got there" i said thank you!

he shaked my fathers hand and skate away across the ice to the locker rooms.

my dad was practicly in tears for a few minutes after.

he had just shaked the hand of his idol.

i'd never had seen the Rocket before so my first reaction was how nice that the referee gave me the puck.

has i write this i still see my fathers face when the Rocket faced him.

That is a great and very touching story,

MY favorite player of all time is Guy, watching him break down the wing was something special.

My tuff guy pick was Chris Nilan and seeing him play for the Bruins was just wrong

Gaolie is Roy and on the D Larry and he may just be the classy player ever.

I'm not surprised that Richard would give someone like Dizzybenny a puck and talk to both him and his father.

Richard adored small children, both boys and girls alike. One of the things I will never forget about meeting him the first of my two times, in Dearborn, Michigan, was the way he not only let the parents take pictures of their kids with him, but also the fact he took the time to talk to them and actually play with them (even if it was just for a little bit). The parents would bring them in wearing their Sunday best, and they all had a great time.

Guest CanadianMike
well in case some of you did not know this.

his daughter own's a Dairy Queen in Rigaud.

she got her dad's eyes no dought about it.

to go there take the 40 ouest exit 12 turn left after the overpast it's on your right.

she's very sweet! :D[/quote:da14034255]

:D Thanks for the info. I do think meeting players is cool, but to go to a Dairy Queen to meet a player's / ex player's child.......a little WEIRD. :shock: :wink:

It's funny my account is actully suspended for a few day's on the Toronto message board (i'm a hockey fan - not just any spicific team's fan), It was because there was a thread to list your all time top 10 goaltender's. Me and one of the administrators got into it because he didnt agree with the fact i had hasek off my list and vezina and hainsworth on it. He suggested with others that today's players far surpass the great oldtimers and they wouldnt factor into the equation rule changes and goaltender equipment when ranking who was the best or top 10 netminders. Things on there part were said to the jist of "Richard wouldnt be capable of 10 goal's in today's game", and "ovechkin would of made hainsworth look like a goaltender out of triple A". So i came here were i expect the hockey sense of these board members far surpass the former.

Anyway's montreal has to many greats to even mention, i've always been partial to reading about Georges Vezina, or seeing footage of Richard, but Roy would have to be top's.

Archived