The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

12 J.P. Cote 06/07

madsprite18

Guest swansee

It seems like JP has dropped off the map as far as the Canadiens are concerned. Carboneau spoke strongly in his favour when he got injured in the preseason, but he hasn't had a look at all since he's been back. While our D in Montreal is good, they certainly could use a steady defenseman like Cote, especially with the departure of Rivet. Anyone know what he status is?

Guest montreal

He played a good game tonight. As for his status I believe he'll be a Group VI UFA this summer just like Danis, due to being 25 and not playing in a certain number of NHL games.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest montreal
Do you think he will be with the Canadiens next year or he will be traded somewhere else?

He's a Group VI UFA this summer, so seems very unlikely that he will be traded. He was interviewed recently and he said he wants to come back and try and take a spot away from Gorges or Bouillion. If not Hamilton will really need him so hopefully he is back.

Guest NDSuto

Yeah I really think that he's ready to play in the NHL but is there really a place for him? I mean, with the Habs? :?

His injury this year must have been so frustrating!

Guest HabsUVM

Throughout the off season there is the potential for some of our defense to be leaving. This seems like there is a good chance for him to make the team next year. I think he is probably ready and could be an inexpensive contributer to the team.

Guest swansee

He's definitely ready and very deserving of it. I think if he had not got injured he would have stuck this year! In the meantime he helps us out a lot here!

Guest P.Royfan
He's definitely ready and very deserving of it. I think if he had not got injured he would have stuck this year! In the meantime he helps us out a lot here!

You are 100% right. He would have been with the big club all year if he hadn't have gotten injured. At the time Bouillon was out with his knee, Souray got injured during a game (although not missing any time.) Then Cote got hurt. Which then scared BG into getting depth on D so he traded away Ribeiro for Niinimaa.

Archived