The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Habs @ Leafs | April 7th 2007 |

jl-1

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sure you were... :roll: :roll:

Do you think I want this particular team representing my city? They aren't any better than last year and Buffalo will make short work of them if they are indeed the 8th place seed. And why should Leafs fans be excited about a sub par team makin more money for the teachers fund?...It doesn't help our cause in the least...

Guest Habsessed

What a pathetic game, we didn't win because the whole team wasn't on the same page I mean only 3 players seemed to care about winning which were Koivu, Ryder and Higgins other than that they were all bad. The worst has gotta be Kovalev, I've been putting up with this guy's nonsense for long enough thinking that we need to keep him because you never know when he can explode and win you a game but if you can't get up for tonight's situation what can you get up for, one word for him OUT!!! I don't care what we get for him. Of course I think the problems run deeper than just the team, there needs to be a change in management, Gainey and Carbonneau need to go, this team should've been competing with Buffalo for the conference title, not struggling against the Toronto Make Me Laughs for 8th freakin place seriously, this team was much better than that but Carbonneau couldn't keep the momentum going and Gainey should've realized that the team was faltering and that he needed to make a trade to inject a little life into the team. Now I just hope that the Islanders win tomorrow so at least the Laughs don't get in and we can get 10th place instead of 9th and get a better draft pick.

Guest KOIVU#11

This is my first post in about 20 days, I went through a period when I wasn't posting a lot and the habs were winning so I just stopped posting, I'm very supersitious when it comes to stuff like that, also I don't usually give up somehting for lent (I'm assuming you all knwo what that is), this year I gave up soft drinks, in the spirit that if I did that then God would grant me the wish that the habs would make the playoffs, I guess that idea backfired too. The point I'm trying to make here is that it ddint matter whether I gave up something or wore my lucky shirt or anything like that it all came down to the boys and they blew it.

It's hard to blame this game or season on any one person, however soft goals have been a huge problems for the habs and in my opinon Cristobal Huet has struggled in this department big time. Prime example The leafs second goal, how in the world did that goal find its way in the net? Where was Huet's stick? I'll give him credit that he was off since febuary 14 but common, that was like the 20th shot he had, he was back in the game, he was back in action, that stuff has to be stopped. Then last year in the playoffs, exact same thing he let in weak goal after weak goal, now mind you he only let in one goal a game, however that one goal was usually brutal, therefore I think he should be traded.

Another reason I think that this season and game turned out to be such a massive dissapointment was dumb penalties. Prime example, Steve Begin, the buzzer is gone, the period is over, what does Begin do? He gets his stick up in Wellwood's face, he didnt have to move his stick off the ice, the puck was no where near Wellwood. What was he thinking? Sure enough 2 power play goals later and we've lost the game.

Then there is the overall style of play that the habs have inhabited this past few years. Skilled, fenesse, players who don't want to get their hands dirty. Thats what the majority of the team looked like tonight, save Koivu, Ryder and Higgins (the only three that did anything), my example here is the last 15 minutes of the game, the "dump and NO chase", they were giving the puck back to the leafs, it was just as well they turned around and shot it back down into their own zone theirselves, lack of heart, and a lack of GRIT. Every team that does anything has grit, look at the last team that won the cup in monteal. They weren't fenesse players, they were workers, the gave their blood sweat and tears, scarficed themselves. How many players do you know on the habs that would do that. I can only think of a few. And something else, except Koivu, I can't think of any of those players who arent Canadian.

So my point here is that your not going to win the cup with skilled players who don't want to get your hands dirty. You need tough, gritty, Canadian players (if you don't believe me just look at the roster for T-Bay and Carolina when they won), players who leave it all on the ice. The habs arent that team and until they get that team they won't win a cup. We need more of Latendresse style of play and less of a Kovalev type of play. Hopefully Bob will be smart in the off season and DO SOMETHING TO FIX THE SITUATION, hopefully he'll be part of the solution, not part of the problem.

Guest TomTom
I hope the Canucks or Senators win it. Get the Cup back to Canada where it belongs.

They're both playing well these days. Could happen.

The Islanders will win tomorrow so this win will be meaningless to the Leafs.

Guest FlHabsFan

Aye. Said to see its over already. But time to start thinking 2007-2008. Please keep Sheldon and get rid of Samsanov. Still not sure on Kovalev as he did come up big at times this year.

Really a hard pill to swallow. Losing to the leafs to knock us out of the playoffs.

Hope everyone has a great summer. See ya in the fall!

GO HABS GO!!

Cristobal Huet, you still rock man!

Guest habfansham
I hope the Canucks or Senators win it. Get the Cup back to Canada where it belongs.

No, Sens don't deserve to win. I hate their team, most of their fans are obnoxious and they're just overrated.

Guest 100%HABSFAN

Oh well. There is definitely next year. I'm going to bed now. I am dreaming that Islanders put the Leafs out. KILL THEM!:twisted:

Guest MichaelJS1
What a pathetic game, we didn't win because the whole team wasn't on the same page I mean only 3 players seemed to care about winning which were Koivu, Ryder and Higgins other than that they were all bad. The worst has gotta be Kovalev, I've been putting up with this guy's nonsense for long enough thinking that we need to keep him because you never know when he can explode and win you a game but if you can't get up for tonight's situation what can you get up for, one word for him OUT!!! I don't care what we get for him. Of course I think the problems run deeper than just the team, there needs to be a change in management, Gainey and Carbonneau need to go, this team should've been competing with Buffalo for the conference title, not struggling against the Toronto Make Me Laughs for 8th freakin place seriously, this team was much better than that but Carbonneau couldn't keep the momentum going and Gainey should've realized that the team was faltering and that he needed to make a trade to inject a little life into the team. Now I just hope that the Islanders win tomorrow so at least the Laughs don't get in and we can get 10th place instead of 9th and get a better draft pick.
I still can't believe we kept aebisieve instead of getting cujo when he was available but...hindsight...

Guest KovalevMTL
So...who will win the Cup?

Seems like Pittsburgh cause they need it and Buttman will help that out by setting up stupids refs to call the games, thats why Carolina won it last year, They were losing fans and money.

Guest Habsessed
Aye. Said to see its over already. But time to start thinking 2007-2008. Please keep Sheldon and get rid of Samsanov. Still not sure on Kovalev as he did come up big at times this year.

Really a hard pill to swallow. Losing to the leafs to knock us out of the playoffs.  

Hope everyone has a great summer. See ya in the fall!

GO HABS GO!!

Cristobal Huet, you still rock man!

For me the verdict came down on Kovalev tonight, I was thinking like you before that yes he can come up big but tonight, on the most important night of the year, on all nights he was nowhere to be found so in my opinion he's gotta go. I know he has loads of talent but it's only when he wants to and for us he costs too much money and doesn't get the job done simply put he needs to be shipped out.

Guest KOIVU#11
I wonder where all the Ryder bashers are now. Probably been eating crow for the last month or so.

for sure. Ryder had a awesome game, and he played it his way, he took lots of shots and went hard to the net. all the ryder bashers can eat their words.

Guest Onlyteam
thank you saku.  

thank you ryder

thank you higgy.

thank you for showing up tonight.

The sad part of this is that it takes twenty players to make a team, we only had three tonight. Kinda sad.

Guest Habsessed
I still can't believe we kept aebisieve instead of getting cujo when he was available but...hindsight...

Well in the end at least for most of the stretch run goaltending wasn't our problem since Halak played very well, I'm saying that we needed to make a trade for a better scorer and not necessaily a deadline deal since the problems started well before that.

Guest habfansham
You can't get rid of a guy like that.  Not until you find 2 good scorers for this team.  He's been our top gol man for 3 stratight seasons, I just can't imagine why people would want to get rid of him.

Couldn't agree with you more. Seems like many on these boards just want to use our goal scorers as trade bait, like we did in the 1990s under Savard and Houle. I guess they haven't learned anything since then.

Guest caperns

I agree with 95 percent of this post. I supported Kovalev all year and wether it is injury or not he is not what this team needs or wants in the future. I disagree with cheering for the islanders though. Hats off to the leafs. Not a very talented team. But they worked there collective butts off every shift and I think they are well coached. I don't see Buffalo walking over them like many believe if the leafs do make it. They handed buffalo there first loss of the season. And they are one of only a few teams who has dominated buffalo from start to finish in a game.

Guest habfansham
for sure. Ryder had a awesome game, and he played it his way, he took lots of shots and went hard to the net. all the ryder bashers can eat their words.

Gets a hat trick vs. a team he cheered for as a kid. He usually plays well vs. the Leafs.

Guest old whaler fan..go habs

Huet,Ryder, Higgins and Koivu....they are the only one who bothered to play with heart.........

Another question, Again being from Hartford , I'm not sure but I watching the game on center ice and is "hockey night in Canada" a Toronto thing because they ( the announcers, Cherry etc) wanted them to win..is that a leafs thing "Hockey night in Canada"????

Guest KOIVU#11
Well in the end at least for most of the stretch run goaltending wasn't our problem since Halak played very well, I'm saying that we needed to make a trade for a better scorer and not necessaily a deadline deal since the problems started well before that.

we need more grit, none of these overrated skill;ed players, someone like Lats except can score more, I'm sure he'll be that player soon but someone whos already developed into it.

Archived