The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Habs @ Leafs | April 7th 2007 |

jl-1

Guest Habs1969
im pretty sure this was the last of our january february meltdowns.

I hope so. I don't ever remember any team that was that high in the standings in December nosedive so completely.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest southp

It's been 2 hours and I can't sit still. I'm still in shock.

I'm incredibly upset with Begin for the 4 mins and then Koivu for the useless tripping call. He's the captain.. come on!

Any word on what happened to Souray? I'd love to see him back next year but not if that means losing Markov.

Guest Miltie01
I'm sure we could have used Samsanov for a point or two going into the stretch.

We're paying him to play hockey, how come he wasn't there to take us into the playoffs.

Instead, he sits in the pressbox while (happily I expect) watching us lose.

I am quite content he has sat and hope they get him out of town before july !!!

Guest Miltie01
It's been 2 hours and I can't sit still. I'm still in shock.

I'm incredibly upset with Begin for the 4 mins and then Koivu for the useless tripping call.  He's the captain.. come on!

Any word on what happened to Souray?  I'd love to see him back next year but not if that means losing Markov.

Souray took a skate in his shoulder and has his arm in a sling- Team990

Guest Clammy
You can say that again, actually he's probably a big part of the reason that we are where we are, I mean if we would've taken 1 more point we were ahead of the Leafs and some of those off nights of his (of which there were quite a few) certainly cost us the playoffs.

I figure we would have had at least 6 more points if not for Aebisher. That's another thing that sucks. We had some really bad luck with Huet getting hurt, even if he wasn't playing up to his best at the time. He was still MILES better than Aebi. If Halak hadn't turned out to be so solid, this game wouldn't have mattered in the least.

I don't dislike Aebisher, but he's not a #1 goalie, and he's not much of a backup. He's gotta go.

GO HABS GO!!! :ghg:

Cheers!

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Do you not find it funny that this team started having big troubles after Christmas ? That is the time of year when most teams turn up the heat and you really have to pay a price to win in the league. Before we were getting by on special teams and goaltending. We were soft and could not score 5 on 5. After Xmas it was even tougher going and we disappeared. Many commentaters have said this year that it is well known other teams consider the Habs an easy game. When you are unwilling to pay the price and try to cheat to keep from getting your nose dirty, you just won't win in this league. Espescially after Xmas.

Check it out Higgins is our top scorer 5 on 5 and we lost him for a long time then when he came back he wasn't the same for a while

We also lost Huet

And we suck !

Guest HABaG8Day
I was with you until you went crazy with cheering the Leafs , then I blacked out !

That was funny lol, I am a Newfie and alot of Newf's are Leafs Fans, every where I go there people wearing something with leafs on it. I have been a hab fan since I was 5 ( Funny, I remember picking the habs as my favorite team back then ,34 yrs ago cause my favorite color was red. I told my dad that night "I wanted the red team to win")as Dad was routin for the Leafs lol

Yes I have watch Leafs and cheered for Leafs when the Habs werent in the picture. I cheer any canadian team who can bring the cup back Home.

Forgot to add, maybe when Ryan Smith is up for grabs the Habs will bag em , now there is tallent .

~HabAg8Day~

Guest southp
I am quite content he has sat and hope they get him out of town before july !!!

Yeah, I don't even think he was in the pressbox or anywhere near the team for that matter. His bad vibes did nothing to help the team when things started to go to..... :evil:

Guest Habs1969
Depressing loss ;) I was expecting us to win when it was 5-3. Oh well, next year we'll make it... I hope :|

Here's to next season. By the way, good job this season on keeping up with the Bulldogs thread. *lol* My only chance of seeing any playoff hockey now rests on the River Rats.....ouch!

Guest stevesaku

i feel good things ahead for this club. they will learn from their mistakes..we have some young players and they need to feel every emotion...tonight was another.

Guest Manorrd
Do you not find it funny that this team started having big troubles after Christmas ? That is the time of year when most teams turn up the heat and you really have to pay a price to win in the league. Before we were getting by on special teams and goaltending. We were soft and could not score 5 on 5. After Xmas it was even tougher going and we disappeared. Many commentaters have said this year that it is well known other teams consider the Habs an easy game. When you are unwilling to pay the price and try to cheat to keep from getting your nose dirty, you just won't win in this league. Espescially after Xmas.

I know this has been beaten to death, but right around that time was when the players were puking behind the bench after each shift.

From where I was standing, you could just FEEL the confidence ooze out of this team when those first back to back losses began happening. All of a sudden, instead of being the little trains that knew they could, they went back to being the little trains that thought they could.

So much of what happened to the Habs this season was mindset, in my opinion. Sure there were real adversities (like losing Higgins), but we were still winning games, because we were still cocky and confident.

Once we lost that it was game over....

Guest Manorrd
I figure we would have had at least 6 more points if not for Aebisher. That's another thing that sucks. We had some really bad luck with Huet getting hurt, even if he wasn't playing up to his best at the time. He was still MILES better than Aebi. If Halak hadn't turned out to be so solid, this game wouldn't have mattered in the least.

I don't dislike Aebisher, but he's not a #1 goalie, and he's not much of a backup. He's gotta go.

GO HABS GO!!! :ghg:

Cheers!

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

True.

Imagine if Huet had been in net against that last game against Pittsburgh, for example....

I'm disappointed that the Habs lost; obviously but... it was a great game and congratulations to the Leafs. They fought hard and in the end played a strong game given them a chance for a playoff spot. Without question Begin cost us the game but in the same breath Raycroft would have cost the Leafs the game. Huet played great even though he had one or two bad goals.  

For Habs fans: We need to spice the team up now. We need to drop players like Kovalev and Samsonov who only give their all 50% of the time instead of every single game. Most importantly we need to stop playing this defensive style that ruined us when we had the lead. That needs much work but we need stronger players to help the time. We got rid of Rivet because he was dead weight and the time has come to do the same to Samsonov and Kovalev

For Leafs fans: After tonight I can say I no longer loathe the Leafs with a blinding passion. I won't soon be a fan of them but that doesn't matter. Nevertheless because of tonight I hope the Leafs do make the playoffs and while I'll be cheering for Vancouver and Buffalo, I wish them good luck... only if they can play as well as they did tonight. If they start to suck again then I'll have my comments on it, lol.

Anyway, great game for both sides and see you all for the playoff games.

My peace regarding the hockey game also posted on Gamefaqs

Hey thanks mate. That was a classy post.

Good luck to you guys next year.

Guest keithman

I'm going to miss coming home ot watch a game...it was such stress relief, gave me something to look forward to, and a lot of things happened in my life in the past 2 years, but when i'd sit down with a drink and watch the game, i'd pretty much be occupied and felt so much better about everytihng.

Even on nights they lost, knowing in 2 days they'd be back on and i'd be right back in my seat watching them, it felt so damn good. Even if they'd get ripped 8-3, i'd watch just to see another goal, just to see them fly, hoping one day they raise the cup in the city where it belongs.

I guess life feels emptier right now, and if i sound all emo and loser-ish, meh, so be it, i guess i'm the type of guy who doesn't mind watching a game in the comfort of his own room, if by himself. Gave me a smile, one i so sorely needed.

with that, go habs go forever.

Guest Manorrd

Oh well.

I guess it's "GO LEAFS GO" from here on out.

They certainly deserve our support after tonight.

I might just register on their site to offer our best wishes for a long and prosperous playoffs.

Good for them

GO LEAFS.

What a disappointment tonight ;)

Great job Ryder though, and Higgins too, you were the only thing to make us smile.

As for those blaming anyone individual, like Huet, Begin, Koivu, or Kovy, come on guys...this game was not lost on one play. + Did anyone notice what ugly goals the leafs got?! It was so weird...

In any case, if I were to blame someone, it would be our coach for our system and the way he handles things...I do like him in general, but why was Kovy benched for the first half of the 3rd and not on the ice for the last 2 minutes?!?! I dont care how bad he played, he is our talent get him on there sheeeeesh!!!!

Sundin wasnt outstanding, I didn't see him benched!

Guest MTL_RULES
What a disappointment tonight ;)

Great job Ryder though, and Higgins too, you were the only thing to make us smile.

As for those blaming anyone individual, like Huet, Begin, Koivu, or Kovy, come on guys...this game was not lost on one play.  + Did anyone notice what ugly goals the leafs got?!  It was so weird...

In any case, if I were to blame someone, it would be our coach for our system and the way he handles things...I do like him in general, but why was Kovy benched for the first half of the 3rd and not on the ice for the last 2 minutes?!?! I dont care how bad he played, he is our talent get him on there sheeeeesh!!!!  

Sundin wasnt outstanding, I didn't see him benched!

He was benched, cause he didn't play well all game, same with against the Rangers. The fire he had for a couple games there is gone. A 4.5 million dollar player is expected to put up numbers. Look at guys like Selanee makin 3.875, roughly same age, but still dominating.

Just got over the first shock... cant believe all the ups and many downs this season, feels like a bizar rollercoaster ride, that makes you sick in the end.

I could not think about whatever in the future these past few hours, but right now I am trying to focus on the hopefully good days to come. We had some setbacks this season (injuries), and there were certain players who just didnt show up at big nights. But I did also see some postives for the future, in young and upcoming players, how did their best to make something of a season that started to crumble after Xmass. It was nice to see them make a final, desperate run in march, and I was in Montreal to witness it. They won all their games when I was in town..against the Leafs < (loved it, especially right now), Bruins and Caps. All in all, its to bad, and so sad that they could not win, or even go to overtime tonight....it says enough about this years Habs. Good or bad times, for me the blue, Blanc et Rouge is 4 ever. Better days are to come, I am sure.... Go Habs Go, for 2007/2008.

Guest MTL_RULES
Oh well.

I guess it's "GO LEAFS GO" from here on out.

They certainly deserve our support after tonight.

I might just register on their site to offer our best wishes for a long and prosperous playoffs.

Good for them

GO LEAFS.

Ummm, how long have you been a Habs fan? A real(in my eyes anyway) Habs fan would never, and I mean EVER cheer on the Leafs. I don't care if it's Toronto vs. the El Salvador team(it would be hilarious if they got one) where they've never heard of hockey, and have never seen ice before. YOU DON'T CHEER FOR THE LEAFS

Guest keithman
Ummm, how long have you been a Habs fan?  A real(in my eyes anyway) Habs fan would never, and I mean EVER cheer on the Leafs.  I don't care if it's Toronto vs. the El Salvador team(it would be hilarious if they got one) where they've never heard of hockey, and have never seen ice before.  YOU DON'T CHEER FOR THE LEAFS

Quoted for truth.

I won't cheer on any team, i'll just watch the playoffs for the sake of watching some good hockey games.

but i'll be empty in the chest until next year, when the habs bring my heart back.

Archived