The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Habs @ Leafs | April 7th 2007 |

jl-1

Guest F'tonHabsFan

Well... grim night ... not much else to say. I thought we had that game at one point.

I guess 1 more day of being a fan this season (oh yeah I'm cheering the Isles on :twisted: ) and then shut things down till around draft time. I'm sure I'll regain a little excitement as that approaches and hope starts blossoming for the new season to begin.

It was a wild ride this year habs fans and I'm happy to have spent some of it debating/arguing/cheering and consoling others here on the boards. We all wish it was a better outcome, just not to be.

Be well until next year...

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Be well until next year...

but how many years has this been now?

we are turning into leaf fans, merely happy we had some excitement, arent we?

I personally expect more...I expect the team to live up to all thier talk...

not to roughly fall eight spots in two months...I expect more from people that wear the jersey I support...

i gotta say i'm crushed. theres been a bad feeling in my stomach that just wont go away. we deserved so much better. i've never seen a team score so many flukey goals in one game like TO did tonight. wellwood is a diver and a wimp(i could think of some harsher words to use but i'll refrain). but i'm not making any excuses fo them though. we missed the playoffs and we deserved it. if only we could have picked up even one more point during our slump we wouldnt have even been in this situation.

oh well, theres always next year like they always say. it hurts right now and it will for a while but this team has a lot of young players and i think they will be a more consistent group and a playoff team next year for sure.

pedneault said briere should be gaineys main target. considering niinimaa bonk and kovy gone i think we can afford him.

chipchura will replace bonk i think.

Pedneault also said that the Habs will never win with Koivu! Don't listen to that clown. He's the French Don Cherry!

Guest ForeverGuyLafleur
Pedneault also said that the Habs will never win with Koivu! Don't listen to that clown. He's the French Don Cherry!

Not listen to a Hall-of-Famer in the media division? You can't be serious!

Anyway, Briere has to be THE priority veteran to aim for since we are sure 4 veterans will step down as UFA and won,t come back as well as 2-3 other spots to open by trades or buying out contracts.

The point is that Koivu captaining the team would mean impossible for the Habs to win... because the burden is way too heavy for him to carry alone. HOWEVER if you sign Briere, you'd have somebody who could take the captaincy anytime just like they do in Buffalo.

BTW, Briere wears the "C" for around 60% of the Sabres' games.

A few comments on the game and on some comments that I've read in this thread since the game ended...

• Can't blame Carbonneau for starting Huet. He was the only reason why the score was 2-1 after one, even with that weak goal he let in at the end of the first. He was outstanding.
  • But Carbo should have changed his goalie to start the third. Huet was very ordinairy in the second and the Leafs were building a comeback. Huet let in some goals that he should have had. He was too deep in his net and went fishing or the puck on the third goal. He was a goalie with no confidence, it was obvious.
  • Cudos to Ryder, Higgins, Koivu and Souray, who may have played his best defensive game of the season. I also liked what I saw of Perezhogin on the first line, and the Plekanec line was good.
  • I guess Kovalev's real season starts on April 11, when the playoffs start... oh wait... we didn't make the playoffs! Oh well, he can turn in up one notch on the golf course! :oops:
  • I would have rather have seen the Leafs kill us than seeing us come back to take a two goals lead only to fall into undiscipline and hand the Leafs the game. Because what really hurts is that we had that game but gave it away!
  • To those blaming the coaching for that game, the coach isn't the one who took the penalties to turn this game around. The coaches however did talk to the players between the first and second period and we came back. It's one thing to not like someone, but accusations like that are very difficult to take seriously. Carbo and his staff did everything they could to put this team in a position to win... except replace Huet in the third as I had suggested.

I'm looking forward to next year. Don't expect big UFA signings this summer. Gainey got burnt with Samsonov so if he can't get the player(s) that HE wants, I don't think he'll settle for a third or fourth choice this time around.

And finally, the Rangers made the playoffs because of Shanahan... had he chose to sign here, I am convinced that our positions would be reversed. :two:

Not listen to a Hall-of-Famer in the media division? You can't be serious!

Anyway, Briere has to be THE priority veteran to aim for since we are sure 4 veterans will step down as UFA and won,t come back as well as 2-3 other spots to open by trades or buying out contracts.

The point is that Koivu captaining the team would mean impossible for the Habs to win... because the burden is way too heavy for him to carry alone. HOWEVER if you sign Briere, you'd have somebody who could take the captaincy anytime just like they do in Buffalo.

BTW, Briere wears the "C" for around 60% of the Sabres' games.

Hall-of-Famer by butt! It must have been a sympathy vote! He's the biggest whiner on the planet. I listened to the games on RDS ever since they've been broadcasting and he has it against English speaking players, always had! Again tonight, he was in the midst of putting down Ryder when he scored! He has no clue what he's saying half the time! I can't stand the guy... I'd listen to Don Cherry before him!

Guest MTL_RULES
Who made up that rule?  You?

Now that the Habs are out, I feel perfectly comfortable cheering for an original six team, and another Canadian team.

Yes, yes i did. I clearly wrote, (in my eyes anway) just so you wouldn't have anything to say...but you did anyway. Hopefully the Leafs will be eliminated before this time tomorrow, and won't be in the playoffs anyways. Go Islanders go, and I really do hope that Brodeur sits:D

Guest Stoof

you know.. we are going to trade kovy... maybe.. but if we do, i have a hundred bucks saying that whatever team he ends up on he shines for... then slumps the next year. he has become too comfortable here. not showing up for 1 single game is ***** at 4.5 mill. ***. anyhow, we do need a big first lne center to take the pressure off koivu, but not to captain. koivu is our captain, and will be for a long time. BUT he is a second line center. we need a big scorer. i cant wait to see grabovski get his **** together and have a go at the team.

Guest MTL_RULES
you know..  we are going to trade kovy... maybe.. but if we do, i have a hundred bucks saying that whatever team he ends up on he shines for... then slumps the next year.  he has become too comfortable here.  not showing up for 1 single game is ***** at 4.5 mill. ***.  anyhow, we do need a big first lne center to take the pressure off koivu, but not to captain.  koivu is our captain, and will be for a long time. BUT he is a second line center. we need a big scorer.  i cant wait to see grabovski get his **** together and have a go at the team.

agreed. Kovalev won't land us much, but if we can dump his and Samsonov's salary, there's all the room in he world for Briere. Toss on Niinimaa's, Aebischer's, Johnson's and Bonk's, you've got a total of 16 mil cleared up. That opens spots for a couple young guys, and 2 HUGE UFA signings. But if Gainey doesn't get the ones he wants, then yes, as JL said, he ain't gonna settle, he'll prolly just use players from within, or resign. I would take both Johnson and Bonk back, for slight pay-cuts of course. But we do need some SERIOUS help offensively.

And for the people who think we should take Briere, Lecavalier, St. Louis etc etc because they are french...I have no respect fo you. We do NOT need a good french player, we need a good PLAYER. It doesnt matter 1 billionth of a percent if he's french or not. In fact, I hope he isn't and leads us to a cup. I just really wish people would let the whole French requirement go. I personally want Briere or Lecav here, because they are awesome, not just because they are french. Ryan Smyth and Teemu Selanne are 2 players we should be courting as well. Smyth is the best in the league at getting garbage goals, and would be an amazing addition to our already deadly PP. And Selanne has great chemistry with Koivu, and I would love to see him back up in Canada(I miss him since the Jets left:()

Guest crazyhab

A five year plan to never make the playoff again.This team can't do it.Everyone is to blame.To me this is unacceptable, but I am not running the team.This team needs a completly rebuild from the buttom up.

Time for a new direction.

But this is basicly the same team we have to cheer for next year.

Bob is not in touch with the team and doesn't have what it takes to make the changes needed. (lou)

Why did Carbo keep playing Ryder Kouiv and Higgins on the same line most of the year when they had such poor plus minus.

Our top line would not be a second or even thrid line on most teams.

Believe me nothing will be done.:two:

I understand your frustration.  Believe me, I too am frustrated with this whole scenario.  But the last guy anyone should be blaming is Koivu.  He had a career year.  Every player goes through funks.  His benching woke him up.  He single handedly beat the Bruins the other night.  I'm more frustrated with a player like Kovy who looked like he didn't even want to be there.

a carrer year at - 21.I don't think so.But this is a lot to do with Carbo who

keep playing the Ryder Kouiv and higgins line when they had such a poor plus minus.

Guest Wayne

my choice for the goat horns, not just for this game but for the stretch drive is Alexei Kovalev... :evil:

I knew the Habs were in trouble despite being up 5-3 the instant Kovalev should have cleared the zone but made a half-*** job of it :mad: ... and as usually is the case, the next time the puck would be leaving the zone, it would be the linesman carrying it out to the the center ice dot... Colaiacovo's goal was flukier than usual but a goal was not unexpected...

after that, the momentum shifted, the Habs started running around and taking penalties and they were done... they didn't even come close to a good scoring chance in the third period...

Alexei has once again lived down to his reputation as an incredibly talented underachiever...

maybe they'll dump his *** and make a major attempt for Scott Gomez -- as good as Briere is, he's smaller than even Koivu and the Habs aren't a big team now...

Wayne

Guest ForeverGuyLafleur
And for the people who think we should take Briere, Lecavalier, St. Louis etc etc because they are french...I have no respect fo you.  We do NOT need a good french player, we need a good PLAYER.  It doesnt matter 1 billionth of a percent if he's french or not.  In fact, I hope he isn't and leads us to a cup.  I just really wish people would let the whole French requirement go.  I personally want Briere or Lecav here, because they are awesome, not just because they are french.  Ryan Smyth and Teemu Selanne are 2 players we should be courting as well.  Smyth is the best in the league at getting garbage goals, and would be an amazing addition to our already deadly PP.  And Selanne has great chemistry with Koivu, and I would love to see him back up in Canada(I miss him since the Jets left:()

I also want Briere because he's BOTH French and a well-proven captain in Buffalo (the dude wears the "C" for 60% of the games). I think he could be the right guy to alternate captaincy with Koivu since the latter seems exhausted of carrying that burden all alone. Briere would be my new co-captain if I sign him tomorrow morning.

Smyth... do you think he'd last for long in our system since it's clear that Carbo is aiming for a Buffalo-style speedy team as of an identity from the moment some veterans will leave MTL? I am not that sure about hiring him as the best idea when we can have faster and strong enough players like Briere or Drury.

edit: Buffalo ain't that huge in average size, so I wouldn't mind having Briere or Drury rather than others.

Guest Wayne
agreed.  Kovalev won't land us much, but if we can dump his and Samsonov's salary, there's all the room in he world for Briere.  Toss on Niinimaa's, Aebischer's, Johnson's and Bonk's, you've got a total of 16 mil cleared up.  That opens spots for a couple young guys, and 2 HUGE UFA signings.  But if Gainey doesn't get the ones he wants, then yes, as JL said, he ain't gonna settle, he'll prolly just use players from within, or resign.  I would take both Johnson and Bonk back, for slight pay-cuts of course.  But we do need some SERIOUS help offensively.

I think buying out Samsonov is a given, there's no one crazy enough to pay his current salary -- except maybe Charles Wang ;)

but moving Kovalev will be tricky, I think you might have to take a least a bit of salary back in exchange, i.e. a non-entity with a NHL deal for next season...

and why dump Johnson? admittedly, he's not a big offensive threat but he plays a solid defensive game and is a good third-liner...

I'd be surprised if Aebischer EVER plays in the NHL again... there were doubts about him in Colorado and I think he's proven his detractors correct this season...

oops, missed the second comment about Bonk and Johnson at reduced salaries... agreed there, both are a tad over-paid for their roles...

Guest caperns
maybe you are right, but koivu showing up in the last couple of games only after being benched leaves a bad taste in my mouth

15 points in the last seven games had nothing to do with being benched.

Guest crazyhab
Sadly that's what most around here thought THIS year :)

and thats what they be saying next year:evil:

I also want Briere because he's BOTH French and a well-proven captain in Buffalo (the dude wears the "C" for 60% of the games). I think he could be the right guy to alternate captaincy with Koivu since the latter seems exhausted of carrying that burden all alone. Briere would be my new co-captain if I sign him tomorrow morning.

Smyth... do you think he'd last for long in our system since it's clear that Carbo is aiming for a Buffalo-style speedy team as of an identity from the moment some veterans will leave MTL? I am not that sure about hiring him as the best idea when we can have faster and strong enough players like Briere or Drury.

edit: Buffalo ain't that huge in average size, so I wouldn't mind having Briere or Drury rather than others.

One player not going to help this team.Needs new personal new direction.

Does Carbo have a style.What is it :punch:

I think buying out Samsonov is a given, there's no one crazy enough to pay his current salary -- except maybe Charles Wang ;)  

but moving Kovalev will be tricky, I think you might have to take a least a bit of salary back in exchange, i.e. a non-entity with a NHL deal for next season...  

and why dump Johnson? admittedly, he's not a big offensive threat but he plays a solid defensive game and is a good third-liner...

I'd be surprised if Aebischer EVER plays in the NHL again... there were doubts about him in Colorado and I think he's proven his detractors correct this season...

oops, missed the second comment about Bonk and Johnson at reduced salaries... agreed there, both are a tad over-paid for their roles...

Samsonov, Aebischer and Kovalev shouldn't be at the habs training camp next year.Well there are few other shouldn't be there either.If they are the organization not committeed to winning

Guest netcase
What happned?  We jinxed it.  Hockeys Gods don't approve of greed.

Garbage in garbage out, it's that simple. This team is a mess and must be revamped starting with the GM next season.

Guest crazyhab
Garbage in garbage out, it's that simple.  This team is a mess and must be revamped starting with the GM next season.

I agree but that not going to happen.I be one happy camper if Bob and Carbo

are released tomorrow :punch: :punch:

Hope they don't lock this thread in a few weeks lets get our say on an organization (that we all love ) thats is going know where but down hill:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Guest KORDIC3131

After a night of reflection, 2 equally inept teams played last night and neither deserve to be in the playoffs.

The Habs will be worse next year.I don't see how they are going to improve.Free agents are not going to sign here,the organisation seems to be a total mess and in disarray.

Guest mossman
After a night of reflection, 2 equally inept teams played last night and neither deserve to be in the playoffs.

The Habs will be worse next year.I don't see how they are going to improve.Free agents are not going to sign here,the organisation seems to be a total mess and in disarray.

The Leafs have achieved mediocrity...

Montreal did not want it nearly enough. Leafs wanted it more. Basically a 3 goal lead in a game this important and they could not hold on. Kovalev did not show up. He wasn't interested and needs to go. The Habs had a chance to clinch in New York and again did not show up.

Let's all cheer on the Islanders. We don't want the Leafs to make it.

Ya --- hooooo ! We get a better draft pick than the Leafs this year. (And hopefully the Isle's as well)

Let's face it though, this team did not deserve to be in. I will agree with those who would wish Kovalev away. I blame him as personally responsible for that 4th Leaf goal. So much for the old dipsy doodle..... hehehe....

Archived