The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Habs @ Leafs | April 7th 2007 |

jl-1

Guest mossman
agreed.  Kovalev won't land us much, but if we can dump his and Samsonov's salary, there's all the room in he world for Briere.  Toss on Niinimaa's, Aebischer's, Johnson's and Bonk's, you've got a total of 16 mil cleared up.  That opens spots for a couple young guys, and 2 HUGE UFA signings.  But if Gainey doesn't get the ones he wants, then yes, as JL said, he ain't gonna settle, he'll prolly just use players from within, or resign.  I would take both Johnson and Bonk back, for slight pay-cuts of course.  But we do need some SERIOUS help offensively.

In my opinion, Bonk was probably our best player this year, or at least most improved. And him and Johnson make a great defensive pair. We need to keep them as they are vital to our team's success in the future. We cannot rely solely on young, speedy players and with Kovalev, Samsonov and Souray probably gone next year we need some veterans.

With Halak and Huet and Price waiting in the wings, Abby's the odd man out. Lots of teams will be looking for goalies and maybe next year when Price is ready, Huet or Halak may fetch a nice price if they have good seasons.

We are not going to pad our team with high end UFA's this year. It isn't Gainey's style and I doubt if a lot of them would want to come here.

I am very disappointed with this year's result and tired of hearing people say "we'll be better next year". We were better this year (5 points behind Buffalo and 2nd in the conference at one point) and our offence went on sabbatical. We need to build a team that does not have to claw their way into 8th place. We need to strive for more than mediocrity.

And Halak should have started. He had shown an ability to make the big stops late in the game. When we were up 5-3, 5-4 or tied 5-5, I think Halak would have made the stops. I knew when we went down 6-5 we were not going to score. Leafs were too hungry and we were not. Our supposed best player did not show up and it is disappointing.

One last note. The Johnson tripping penalty late in the 2nd was a bad call. The Leaf ran into his stick. Begin's cross check was a back breaker for us and a very bad play. We need better discipline from the player who has showed the most heart on this team year after year.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest paul_b

Well saying I am dissapointed would be an understatement, but hey what happened, happened and we can only look ahead. We should of won the game, I really thiink we had it when we went up 5-3. But of course stupid penalties and lousy defense really hurt us. But I don't think that was the major reason that we lost. I mean come on, lets look at the goals the Leafs scored. Name one goal that wasn't a luck bounce, or a deflection off of someone. Regardless a goal is a goal and well I am proud and I will always be proud to be a Habs fan. Heres to a great Summer, hopefully productive summer and a ISLANDERS win....

Go Habs Go!!

Guest f30marco

well after being that stupid with penalties we deserve to lose. just not to the damn leafs. i nearly cried last night it felt worse than anything else i have ever felt but got to move to today and just out of spite i hope the islanders make it!! so without further a do..........GO ISLANDERS!!!!!!!! DONT LET THOSE *&*% GET INTO THE PLAYOFFS!!!

Guest Renko
One player not going to help this team.Needs new personal new direction.

Does Carbo have a style.What is it :punch:

One player can make a big difference when he fills an important hole. For example, Briere coming to Montreal would give us a legitimate first line center, making Koivu one of the best 2nd line centers in the game.

Also a big name like Briere gives the entire team a new start, a reason to think that things will be different. A big name can change the whole complexion of a team. Im just worried about the growth stunt a player like Briere would cause to a player like Plekanec.

And no, Carbo does not have a style.

Guest crazyhab

Let's face it though, this team did not deserve to be in. I will agree with those who would wish Kovalev away. I blame him as personally responsible for that 4th Leaf goal. So much for the old dipsy doodle.....  hehehe....

Now if only Bob would agree with us:itch: :itch: :itch:

Guest sanman

Frustration, with the Habs, the refs, the GM, the coach.

I think this team needs to take a real hard look at what they are trying to build. This quasi defensive trap team isn't working. 1-2-2 makes no sense with speedy offensively talented forwards and even less with strong goaltending.

As fort he Phantom calls, Wellwood should get an Oscar for his Ribeiro like dive. Give me a break, even Koivu was baffled at the end of the second. Maybe two but not four minutes on that. Funny how CBC showed the replay once or twice, never commented on it. Cherry who loves to complain about diving doesn't say a word. This is a typical fix for the Leafs. They will get in and Buffalo will blast the Leaf nation into reality.

Any ways I don't want anything to do with hockey till next year. I don't even care who they get, sign, whatever.

Later HABS.

Guest jennifer_rocket
Frustration, with the Habs, the refs, the GM, the coach.

I think this team needs to take a real hard look at what they are trying to build.  This quasi defensive trap team isn't working.  1-2-2 makes no sense with speedy offensively talented forwards and even less with strong goaltending.

As fort he Phantom calls, Wellwood should get an Oscar for his Ribeiro like dive.  Give me a break, even Koivu was baffled at the end of the second.  Maybe two but not four minutes on that.  Funny how CBC showed the replay once or twice, never commented on it.  Cherry who loves to complain about diving doesn't say a word.  This is a typical fix for the Leafs. They will get in and Buffalo will blast the Leaf nation into reality.

Any ways I don't want anything to do with hockey till next year.  I don't even care who they get, sign, whatever.

Later HABS.

Yeah, the Wellwood thing was pretty irritating. All the same, Montreal had a billion opportunities to make the play-offs this year, and the messed it all up by losing all those games during the middle of the season.

In the East: GO BUFFALO!

In the West: GO CALGARY!

Guest Poor_Tom

The Leafs are cheaters. I've watched the highlights on TSN about 6 times now. I still have yet to see Begin's mystical highstick. Once again the Habs get boned.:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Go Islanders...

Guest Mrs. Mike Johnson

Last nights game was insane! Even though we lost it was such a good game despite all the penalties given to Montreal (of course)!

I had a great experience going to my first ever game last night!

I met some nice people from Montreal let me say something the Leafs fans are so immature & other bad words.

Sitting behind me were some such annoying old men they were like commentators I wanted to kill them they talked through the whole game!

Then they started making fun of Koivu.. which made me angry!!!

What made me more angry was across the other side of the stadium there was a leafs fan holding a sign that said (I love Mike Johnson!) I was so upset since I didn't make a huge visible sign for Mike to see but he did smile at me which was the best 2.5 seconds of my life!

Great experience though.. I really wish they would have won.

But yeah I knew something upsetting like that would happen thanks to the stupid referees for giving us penalties left & right.

I hope Toronto loose so badly.

All I can say right now is GO ISLANDERS ;) I cant wait for next season!

One of my favorite pictures I took last night that I will share is of Maxim..

he kept getting into so many fights in front of where I was sitting & I love how he swears out loud in French, it was great :)

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/6747/64...64451952kd2.png

Guest jimdubbs

Frustrated Isnt even the word. To make it even better im going to my girlfriends house now whos whole family is leafs fans..Honestly I wouldnt have cared so much if it was a good game and they lost...but boy oh boy. ONLY Toronto would get the kind of goals...***** goals...basketball shots..fluke goals...boy oh boy..

Guest HabsUVM
The Leafs are cheaters. I've watched the highlights on TSN about 6 times now. I still have yet to see Begin's mystical highstick. Once again the Habs get boned.:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:  

Go Islanders...

Um, Begin definitly high sticked him pretty good so I dont see how the leafs are cheaters.

Guest Ryanww
Um, Begin definitly high sticked him pretty good so I dont see how the leafs are cheaters.

What I seen when I watched the game was a high stick by begin that was resulting from a follow through on the puck. It wasn't just a rouge high stick by Begin, he was trying to stop the puck, and in the process high sticked wellwood. To my knowledge, high sticking resulting from a follow through is NOT a penalty. On top of that I didn't see any blood on wellwood. Nor did I see any cuts or scratches. I think it was a bad call, as I said before the game started, the habs cannot beat the refs, leafs, and lady luck all at the same time.

Guest Poor_Tom

Oh he barely touched him. Then he started rolling around on the ice like he had sand in his ******. He wasn't even bleeding, so I don't know where these magical 2 extra minutes came from.

Guest Poor_Tom

Oh he barely touched him. Then he started rolling around on the ice like he had sand in his vag. He wasn't even bleeding, so I don't know where these magical 2 extra minutes came from.

Guest dallyd31

Honestly, I think what sums up the last 3 month of the Habs season is this...............fighting for their playoff lives, and in the third period get 3 shots. Thats's 3 SHOTS and they even had a powerplay.

Not sure if it is no system, no coaching or no heart, but 3 shots in the final period of a game that is crucial is unacceptable. A joke actually.

Guest mojoganjaman
What I seen when I watched the game was a high stick by begin that was resulting from a follow through on the puck. It wasn't just a rouge high stick by Begin, he was trying to stop the puck, and in the process high sticked wellwood. To my knowledge, high sticking resulting from a follow through is NOT a penalty. On top of that I didn't see any blood on wellwood. Nor did I see any cuts or scratches. I think it was a bad call, as I said before the game started, the habs cannot beat the refs, leafs, and lady luck all at the same time.

better brush up on your knowledge then....any stick to the head is a penalty...if the ref sees it....players are responsible for their stick....good try tho....:funny:

mojo

Guest HABSrulzzz
Kind of depressing that this is the last game thread of the season.

yes it is it was a great season with a horrible ending hope to see you all at the start of october

yes it is it was a great season with a horrible ending hope to see you all at the start of october

You'll see me around all summer man, the love of the Habs never rests, never takes time off, as mad as I am and as much as I want to just stop thinking about this team for the summer, I can't.

Guest HABSrulzzz
You'll see me around all summer man, the love of the Habs never rests, never takes time off, as mad as I am and as much as I want to just stop thinking about this team for the summer, I can't.

ya i know but no more game threads for awhile is gonna suck were like a family on this forum GO HABS GO

Guest mojoganjaman

and that my friends is the definition of a true hockey fan....:mdr:

mojo

Guest habsfan#08

Same, we'll always have baseball too.

Guest WantMoreCups

ahh i dont even know what to say... i didnt sleep last night , my firends had a good time last night rubbing it in my face and its gonna be worse at school.... why did the reffs have to give them 2 5 on 3 right when they came back from the 3'rd? why? it had no call on the begin call so theres shouldnt have been a penalty... and what was with wellwood divving all over?

Guest Mrs. Mike Johnson

Great now on Tuesday there is gonna be a huge article of the leafs winning in the newspaper..

;)

Gosh im gonna miss watching Montreal play & seeing their beautiful faces!

I couldn't sleep either last night.. I woke up so early

Archived