The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Ryan O'byrne

bloodbath

Guest bloodbath

I think there's no topic for him. He look like another version of Mike Komisarek. On a french article , i think it was LaPresse , it says that he always give outstanding hit. I would like to know if someone know more about this kid. Maybe someone who see regularly the bulldogs play.

I think with him , komisarek and Emelin , our defense gonna look big

*Sorry maybe for english mistake , i don,t regularly write in english

#3 Ryan O'Byrne: http://www.canadiens.com/eng/team/redirect...;playerID=29585

I think there's no topic for him. He look like another version of Mike Komisarek. On a french article , i think it was LaPresse , it says that he always give outstanding hit. I would like to know if someone know more about this kid. Maybe someone who see regularly the bulldogs play.

I think with him , komisarek and Emelin , our defense gonna look big

*Sorry maybe for english mistake , i don,t regularly write in english

The article you're refering to was from La Presse's Mathias Brunet who had interviewed Trevor Timmins who had himself compared O'Byrne to Mike Komisarek. Timmins was saying that O'Byrne, in spite of being a rookie, was one of Hamilton's top defensemen and that he would be competing for a job in Montreal next season, and that if he didn't make the team at camp, that he'd make it later in the season in replacement for injuries.

I think I posted the link in this section somewhere, as I had translated that article from French to English...

Guest Miltie01

On Team990 this morning the Dogs play by play guy said not to be surprised if this kid ends up on the team next year.

He could not say enough about his maturity level.

Guest natey2k4

A nice little heads up as far as scoring goes;

In 80 GP with Hamilton this season, he scored 0 G and added 12 A.

In 14 GP with Hamilton in the playoffs, he's scored 1 G and 5 A.

Meaning, if he kept the pace of his playoffs PPG.. he'd of scored around 34 PTS in 80 GP.

I'm thinking he's maturity level is really improving. He's got a legitimate shot at the Habs roster.

Sweet read.. I can't help but drool at the prospect of a defence with big monsters O'Byrne, Komisarek.. Two punishing but great transitionally defencemen in Emelin and Valentenko.. and offensive minded D like Carle and Fischer.

Lots of good potential for our future blue-line.

• 2 weeks later...
Ryan O'Byrne is better than Cote, hes bigger, stronger and has better offensive insticts.

How can you say he has better offensive instincts when they're both stay-at-home defencemen who finished the regular season with 12 points each?

Cote has put in his time in Hamilton and has also shown he can be solid when he was brought up for the short stint last season.

O'Byrne is playing in his rookie season with Hamilton and is still making some of those rookie mistakes. Theres no way hes ahead of Cote.

Guest shanahan1024

ask anyone who watched the playoff games live, Cote is a solid D-Man and could be a number 3 pairing guy but thats it O'Byrne is a top 4 guy. Hes 6'5 240, he plays just like Komisarek and he fights more often.

Guest jennifer_rocket
ask anyone who watched the playoff games live, Cote is a solid D-Man and could be a number 3 pairing guy but thats it O'Byrne is a top 4 guy. Hes 6'5 240, he plays just like Komisarek and he fights more often.

And how else are we going to replace Souray's toughness? O'Byrne, O'Byrne, O'Byrne!

Guest TheBlaster

Very true. O'Byrne is the better defencemen and I think he'll crack the Habs lineup this season. He's big, strong, has great positioning, and is very reliable. He's also pretty gritty, which is what we need more of on the big club.

Guest Habsfan_11

O'Byrne has 3 years of college hockey and 1 year of AHL hockey on his resume. He's turning 23 this year, and he's showed good stuff to this point. Komisarek saw NHL ice time the same season he started in the AHL.

I think O'Byrne will get some ice time with the habs this year.

Guest hogtownhabsfan

I definately think we should look to add a FA, but I really hope O'Byrne is our first callup. He's exactly the typ of player this team needs. I wouldn't mind seeing Markov play with him, and then have Komi paired with Streit.

Guest xe_liam88

I think the only reason Cote would be ahead of O'Byrne in the MTL depth chart is becuz O'Byrne doesnt have a french name!!!! I was not impressed with Cote as much as I was with O'Byrne, In Game 3 O'Byrne made the most solid hit I saw this year at any hockey level.

Cote would be ahead of O'Byrne if O'Byrne weren't a behemoth. I think the prospect of adding a big, hulking, defensively sound player like O'Byrne to our defence corps will be attractive to Carbonneau. That being said, it will likely come down to who has the better camp.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest TheBlaster

O'Byrne has done everything that could possibly be expected of him in the AHL, so barring a completely horrendous training camp, I would expect he'll be playing for the Habs on opening night. It's important that he gets the NHL experience now, so that in the next season or two when we're legitimate contenders (on paper -- I think we're playoff contenders as it is now, and once you're there anything can happen) he'll be a defensive stalwart for us. He's top 4 material...get him paired with Hamrlik and that's a very solid line.

What concerns me is our 5-6 pair. Dandenault isn't terrible, and I think he'll have a better season this year...but Boullion has got to go, a chain is only as strong as its weakest link and this guy is nothing more than a filler player. I like Streit better on forward but he's at least pretty stable on defense...Boullion is just too weak. I'd give Cote or maybe even Biron a chance. They'll both make some mistakes but they'll make some strides in their development anyway. Biron is a big boy, he was very steady in the AHL playoffs, I think he'd make the most of the opportunity.

So if it were up to me...

Markov-Komisarek

Hamrlik-O'Byrne

Dandenault-Biron/Cote

Extra: Gorges

Edit: This is another thing O'Byrne brings to the table. He'll stand up for his teammates...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAoVpBKRAC0

When you mess with Ryan, you get O'Byrned. :D

Guest logic
O'Byrne has done everything that could possibly be expected of him in the AHL, so barring a completely horrendous training camp, I would expect he'll be playing for the Habs on opening night. It's important that he gets the NHL experience now, so that in the next season or two when we're legitimate contenders (on paper -- I think we're playoff contenders as it is now, and once you're there anything can happen) he'll be a defensive stalwart for us. He's top 4 material...get him paired with Hamrlik and that's a very solid line.

What concerns me is our 5-6 pair. Dandenault isn't terrible, and I think he'll have a better season this year...but Boullion has got to go, a chain is only as strong as its weakest link and this guy is nothing more than a filler player. I like Streit better on forward but he's at least pretty stable on defense...Boullion is just too weak. I'd give Cote or maybe even Biron a chance. They'll both make some mistakes but they'll make some strides in their development anyway. Biron is a big boy, he was very steady in the AHL playoffs, I think he'd make the most of the opportunity.

So if it were up to me...

Markov-Komisarek

Hamrlik-O'Byrne

Dandenault-Biron/Cote

Extra: Gorges

Edit: This is another thing O'Byrne brings to the table. He'll stand up for his teammates...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAoVpBKRAC0

When you mess with Ryan, you get O'Byrned. :D

Ryan moves and plays like Rick Green, so he will have a long learning process dealing with the fleet forwards..Never a top 4 , but a solid 5-6 as long as the coach is carefull not to have him out there against good skaters.

Archived