The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Ufc Thread

Guest ChriS_HigGinS#1

Guest ChriS_HigGinS#1

I didn't see any topics about the UFC and I thought I would make one for all you fight junkies waiting for the new habs season.

I've been watching UFC fights on Spike TV for the past month or so and I really enjoy watching them. They're very exciting and action packed. I'm also very interested in the show: The Ultimate Fighter which is a reality show based on figuring out who the best undiscovered mixed martial arts fighter is.

Tonight on Spike they showed a few fights including a great one between Canadian; Sam Stout and Spencer Fisher.

I also wanted to know if anyone was going to be ordering the Pay-per-view UFC fight night in Belfast?

I'll get around to merging this with one of the existing ones later on (it's probably on the second page), but I watched Fight Night and thought that Fisher/Stout was a great fight. The lightweight division is pretty good to watch, and while it might not have many clear-cut or well-known stars, it has a huge crop of up-and-coming fighters.

I don't think I'll be ordering the PPV with my crew this Saturday, since there was the fight tonight and TUF Finale next Saturday to keep us entertained til the next PPV. The next PPV is in early June, so we aren't waiting too long between them. Unfortunately, this Saturday's PPV is actually in the afternoon as well, which takes away from the effect a bit, personally.

Guest ChriS_HigGinS#1

Yeah, I agree with the PPV being less valuble because of the afternoon fight but I really wanted to watch Forest Griffin fight again. I used to love him back on Ultimate Fighter 1 or 2.

What did you think about Fisher telling Joe Rogan he thought it was a draw? I thought for sure that Fisher had easily walked away from that fight the winner.

It was probably Fisher being humble, but it's nice to see a guy with some real respect for his opponents, rather than watching guys like Thiago Tavares run their mouths.

Fisher did take some wicked hits and was cut up pretty good on his right side, that's probably what he was feeling. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest habs_fan1160

Anyone get the fight last night? The Tito/Evans draw was dissapointing and IMO the match should have went to Tito at least he put effort into it. Evans spend three rounds dancing around the outter edges of the cage. If Tito wasn't hanging onto the fence to lose that fight it would have been him. I'm looking forward to another match between the two though.

Also for the title fight, I was pulling for Hermes, I've never been a Muscle Shark fan. It was frustrating to watch Hermes come out round after round and almost submit him and then give up on it.

http://www.tsn.ca/tsn/news_story/?ID=213092&hubname=

Here's a story I found on the UFC coming to Canada.

Anyone get the fight last night? The Tito/Evans draw was dissapointing and IMO the match should have went to Tito at least he put effort into it. Evans spend three rounds dancing around the outter edges of the cage. If Tito wasn't hanging onto the fence to lose that fight it would have been him. I'm looking forward to another match between the two though.

Also for the title fight, I was pulling for Hermes, I've never been a Muscle Shark fan. It was frustrating to watch Hermes come out round after round and almost submit him and then give up on it.

http://www.tsn.ca/tsn/news_story/?ID=213092&hubname=

Here's a story I found on the UFC coming to Canada.

Neither fighter in the Tito/Rashad fight was spectacular. Rashad easily had the third, Tito had the first two, but it's his own fault for disobeying Big John.

As for Sean Sherk, I've never seen a guy with better cardio and such a strong chin. He took some knees to the face that would have rocked just about anybody, but he looked unfazed on most of them. Hermes simply couldn't keep up with Sherk's conditioning, it looked like Sherk could even go another 5 rounds if asked to! I really don't understand how he has so much cardio when he has to drop 25 lbs to fight though. :blink:

I was also very surprised at how well Heath Herring held his own against Nogueira.

Guest habs_fan1160
Neither fighter in the Tito/Rashad fight was spectacular. Rashad easily had the third, Tito had the first two, but it's his own fault for disobeying Big John.

As for Sean Sherk, I've never seen a guy with better cardio and such a strong chin. He took some knees to the face that would have rocked just about anybody, but he looked unfazed on most of them. Hermes simply couldn't keep up with Sherk's conditioning, it looked like Sherk could even go another 5 rounds if asked to! I really don't understand how he has so much cardio when he has to drop 25 lbs to fight though. :blink:

I was also very surprised at how well Heath Herring held his own against Nogueira.

I was surprised with Heath too. The Anderson fight went just about the same as I predicted it before it even started.

For such a skinny looking guy, he's leathel in the octagon.

I agree, the Tito and Rashad fight wasn't anything spectacular, but it was entertaining. Rashad has always drove me nuts, since his days of TUF. I don't understand how he hasn't lost a fight yet, every time I've seen him fight he hasn't been that spectacular. All he does is bounce around and do that stupid thing with his head/hands.

I remember when Tito used to be dominate, maybe too much Jenna Jamison now. :) He needs to condition a bit better for his fights and stay more focused. He's one of my favourites in there, so I don't want to say he should hang them up.

I think he has the "Chris Leban factor" regardless of when he wins or loses, people always have emotions over Tito whether it's love or hate, he's entertaining and he's been a big reason why the UFC is so well known now. I think regardless, he'll always be around the Octagon.

And regarding the muscle shark - he was awesome passing Hermes guard on the ground. So smooth and he made it look easy. Regardless of the fact that I don't really like him, he definately is in top shape. But Hermes did do pretty well in that fight, better than I expected him to anyway.

Guest LeBlond

St. Pierre and Koscheck is going to be nuts. In my eyes, Koscheck is one of the most under rated guys in the UFC, and you know Georges will be raring to showcase his skills after what happened in his last fight against Serra...

Guest habs_fan1160

I never really cared for Josh all that much. His style just didn't excite me. He's a great wrestler but IMO he didn't have enough of the mixed martial arts to put on a good show. Bascially he was all about the ground fight and wrestling techniques and I like a little more mix into that.

Is the Josh/St.Pierre fight the one on Aug. 25? If so - I'm ordering that one.

I think St. Pierre can take this one, the skill level of St.Pierre in my opinion is far greater than the skill level Josh is fighting at.

Regardless, should be an interesting fight. :)

Guest LeBlond

See know one gives Koscheck much of a chance, just he doesnt have the "killer hands" But I think hes going to turn some heads in this fight. Im not predicting a win, cause I know St. Pierre is hungry, but I think its easily the fight of the night. And yeah, its the undercard to Couture/Gonzaga's Heavyweight tilt on the 25th of august

I never really cared for Josh all that much. His style just didn't excite me. He's a great wrestler but IMO he didn't have enough of the mixed martial arts to put on a good show. Bascially he was all about the ground fight and wrestling techniques and I like a little more mix into that.

Is the Josh/St.Pierre fight the one on Aug. 25? If so - I'm ordering that one.

I think St. Pierre can take this one, the skill level of St.Pierre in my opinion is far greater than the skill level Josh is fighting at.

Regardless, should be an interesting fight. :)

Yes it is, it should be the fight before Couture/Gonzaga!

Hopefully GSP destroys Koscheck. GSP is no slouch as a wrestler (trains with the Canadian National Team) and is certainly better on his feet.

See know one gives Koscheck much of a chance

I just think it's because no one likes him.

Guest habs_fan1160
Also, looks like the UFC won't be coming to Montreal late this fall, as it was expected to. The UFC always falls on a Saturday, and there is too much conflict with existing hockey bookings, according to Dana White.

I read on tsn that Dana White said it probably won't be until the fall of 2008 until the UFC comes to MTL. I think I might have posted the link on here already? Not sure though.

I read on tsn that Dana White said it probably won't be until the fall of 2008 until the UFC comes to MTL. I think I might have posted the link on here already? Not sure though.

Yeah, that's exactly what I was talking about. I totally didn't check the link when scanning the thread. :lol:

Guest habs_fan1160
Yeah, that's exactly what I was talking about. I totally didn't check the link when scanning the thread. :lol:

Ohh I read your post as the UFC is probably never going to be coming to MTL.

BTW a MTL show would be awesome, I think I'll do my best to get tickets and fly out for that one.

Guest habs_fan1160

There's a steroid "scandle" or whatever you wanna call it going on in the UFC world right now.

That fight that just happened for the title between Hermes and The Muscle Shark is being reviewed, both of them failed a drug test (tested positive for roids). So what's going to happen is both fighters are losing the play they made on the fight and the title may be up for grabs now.

Also, the reason Diago has been so silent as of late is becuase he was suspsended for three months following a failed urine test. He tested positive for Marijuana.

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=6848

I can't find the link for Diago nor the link for the loss of pay for the Shark and Hermes. But I heard it this morning on the sports news. I think that all pro sports like MMA's and WWE's are going to be cracking down on the use of banned substances following the death and contraversy surrounding the Cripler.

http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/OtherSpor...354010-sun.html

TORONTO -- The burgeoning sport of mixed martial arts picked up another black eye yesterday with news that UFC lightweight champion Sean (Muscle Shark) Sherk and Hermes Franca failed drug tests after their July 7 fight in Sacramento, Calif.

The California State Athletic Commission says Sherk tested positive for metabolites of the steroid nandrolone while Franca's sample turned up drostanolone, another steroid.

The two mixed martial arts fighters have been suspended a year and fined US$2,500 each. Both have 30 days to file an appeal.

Sherk won a five-round unanimous decision over Franca at Arco Arena in their 155-lb. bout at UFC 73: Stacked.

The positive tests come a month after MMA legend Royce Gracie tested positive for nandrolone metabolite following a June 2 win over Kazushi Sakuraba.

Gracie, 40, elected not to appeal his one-year suspension and $2,500 fine, saying it would cost more than the fine to hire a lawyer to fight the case, plus he only fought once a year.

In a statement given yesterday to MMAWeekly.com, Franca apologized for the "banned substance."

"I offer only an explanation and not an excuse," he said.

"I made a decision during a difficult time in my training for the fight that I regret."

Franca said he injured an ankle eight weeks prior to the fight, but was told by the UFC moving the bout was not possible and asked to let them know if he was unable to fight.Needing the paycheque, he decided to go ahead with the fight.

"At this point I was desperate and needed anything I could to get my injury as close to healing as possible and be able to recover from the daily training regimen I was going through," he told MMAWeekly.

"I made the shortsighted choice to hopefully accelerate the healing process and allow me to keep training. Under the pressure of literally not being able to pay next months bills I made a choice. I had to fight and did whatever I could to do so."

Calls to Sherk and his manager were not immediately returned yesterday.

The UFC also had no immediate comment. Sherk, 33, made $28,000 for beating the 32-year-old Franca, who collected $14,000.

The 16 other fighters on the UFC 73 card passed their drug tests.

That included light-heavyweight Stephan Bonnar, who was fighting for the first time since testing positive for a steroid in September.

• 1 month later...

Since MMA is really picking up steam, I figured it would be a good idea to start up a universal thread about it so we can discuss all the latest news, events, and results.

We can start by discussing the upcoming event UFC 76

Chuck Liddell vs. Keith Jardine

Shogun Rua vs. Forrest Griffin

Diego Sanchez vs. Jon Fitch

Lyoto Machida vs. Kazuhiro Nakamura

Tyson Griffin vs. Thiago Tavares

thats what the main card looks like, should be a very intresting night, i'm anxious to see Shgun in action, and see how he does in a cage. I'm also leaning towards Liddell to win his fight, however, I don't think he stands much of a chance to regain his belt from Rampage, so he will probably just float around the top 3 or 4 in the LHW division for awhile if not for good.

well houston alexander destroyed jardine, im kinda thinking if liddell loses hes in the same boat as cro cop. shuold be interesting. shogun and forrest should be the real one to watch, forrest is kind of an ugly technician but he can bang.

Guest Iceman1509

I don't know. UFC is slowly turning into glorified kick boxing. Liddell, Jardine, Griffin, jackson, Bonner etc. It seems the Martial Arts part is slowly dissapearring from MMA. Even Hammil was just banging against Bisping and he's a natural wrestler. The Liddell - Jackson fight was literally "he who lands the first good shot shall win".

Archived