The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Ryan Mcdonagh

jl-1

Guest 1970 Habs
We have quite a few defensive d-men in prospects but only 2 i believe in the offensive sense (subban carle). Fischer, mcdonagh, valentenko, o'byrne, everybody after that may have some trouble cracking the squad with all that talent. Especially if emelin decides to come over.

I'm glad we picked mcdonagh. Gainey finally did what needed to be done.

I agree and I believe every team needs a mix of both.

Guest Anetéchrist
We have quite a few defensive d-men in prospects but only 2 i believe in the offensive sense (subban carle). Fischer, mcdonagh, valentenko, o'byrne, everybody after that may have some trouble cracking the squad with all that talent. Especially if emelin decides to come over.

I'm glad we picked mcdonagh. Gainey finally did what needed to be done.

You are right with your list but don't forget Yannick Weber, I feel they didn't draft someone from Mark Streit's school for nothing.

And Emelin is not really on par with the 4 Defensive D's you listed. He's good at clearing the zone, the front of the net, but his play is without the flavor of Valentenko's (by flavor I mean brutal) :P

Emelin is like a bigger Bouillon while Valty is a Robyn Regehr of this world.

And McDonagh is an offensive D. A big, strong and creative D.

By the way, I have to say that I hope the Habs will keep Trevor Timmins under contract for a long while. He may not suggest the spectacular choices to Gainey (Price vs Kopitar decision that raised some eyebrows before Price revealed great) and (McDo over Esposito, Pacioretty over Perron), but he definitely knows his hockey.

You are right with your list but don't forget Yannick Weber, I feel they didn't draft someone from Mark Streit's school for nothing.

And Emelin is not really on par with the 4 Defensive D's you listed. He's good at clearing the zone, the front of the net, but his play is without the flavor of Valentenko's (by flavor I mean brutal) :P

Emelin is like a bigger Bouillon while Valty is a Robyn Regehr of this world.

And McDonagh is an offensive D. A big, strong and creative D.

By the way, I have to say that I hope the Habs will keep Trevor Timmins under contract for a long while. He may not suggest the spectacular choices to Gainey (Price vs Kopitar decision that raised some eyebrows before Price revealed great) and (McDo over Esposito, Pacioretty over Perron), but he definitely knows his hockey.

**Applause**

Good job...I totally agree with you about Timmins.

Guest Habsfan_11

Well I agree with McDonagh over Esposito. But Pacioretty over Perron? I donno. Perron looks like gold to me. Pacioretty should be good too though. We'll all see in a few years!

McDonagh sounds like a solid defenceman though.

Guest Anetéchrist
Well I agree with McDonagh over Esposito. But Pacioretty over Perron? I donno. Perron looks like gold to me. Pacioretty should be good too though. We'll all see in a few years!

McDonagh sounds like a solid defenceman though.

I think the decision to pick Pacioretty over Perron was ultimately determined by his size. Pac-Man is young, and he is already among the bulkiest forwards we have in the pipeline. Perron might've been gold, but to us, Pac-Man was diamond (harder and more valuable given our context).

I think the decision to pick Pacioretty over Perron was ultimately determined by his size. Pac-Man is young, and he is already among the bulkiest forwards we have in the pipeline. Perron might've been gold, but to us, Pac-Man was diamond (harder and more valuable given our context).

The Habs said they were looking to hit a "Home Run" this past draft and Pacioretty could potentially be that home run....Dark Horse, Diamond in the Rough, call him whatever you want but Pacioretty is going to turn heads once he makes it to the NHL level...IMHO of course.

he better turn out good! otherwise he will be hated for bein the guy that we picked over Esposito (who WILL be good)

That is very true if he turns out bad i will boo him and throw french fries at him if he turns out good il be happy and cheering for him. I really liked Espo dude so if he turns out like another Crosby and we passed him lets go torched Gainey house , LOL. If Ryan becomes that good like that Article up top says il be very very happy.

P.k Subban is relly relly relly relly relly relly cool and I dislike Max Paccroitty very much.

Guest Anetéchrist
The Habs said they were looking to hit a "Home Run" this past draft and Pacioretty could potentially be that home run....Dark Horse, Diamond in the Rough, call him whatever you want but Pacioretty is going to turn heads once he makes it to the NHL level...IMHO of course.

It's funny. Our Home Run guy might end up being our Hat Trick guy. Just a thought. :D

When McDonagh is ready, he is going to be a horse for us. I can't wait until he's able to anchor our D.

It really is a treat to see this team go out and draft like a champion. Finally we're getting the BEST...McDonagh was considered by many hockey "Experts" to be the best d-man of this draft class. I too can't wait to see him play for the Habs.

That is very true if he turns out bad i will boo him and throw french fries at him if he turns out good il be happy and cheering for him. I really liked Espo dude so if he turns out like another Crosby and we passed him lets go torched Gainey house , LOL. If Ryan becomes that good like that Article up top says il be very very happy.

P.k Subban is relly relly relly relly relly relly cool and I dislike Max Paccroitty very much.

... Wow.

I love hockey too, but I wouldn't get to the point where i'd advocate burning BG's house over a pick. The man has more hockey sense than all of us combined. And I think it is the fans like you who 'boo him and throw french fries at him...' that are the reason we can't sign a franchise player.

Guest matt_the_fan
... Wow.

I love hockey too, but I wouldn't get to the point where i'd advocate burning BG's house over a pick. The man has more hockey sense than all of us combined. And I think it is the fans like you who 'boo him and throw french fries at him...' that are the reason we can't sign a franchise player.

Well said. But to throw french fries at him, you would have to throw really well since he's always in his box atop the Bell Center watching. And people who say they will throw some at him, are probably imature (9-10 yrs old) or mental cases(that will REALLY trow some).

Well said. But to throw french fries at him, you would have to throw really well since he's always in his box atop the Bell Center watching. And people who say they will throw some at him, are probably imature (9-10 yrs old) or mental cases(that will REALLY trow some).

I find that statement offensive to 9 and 10 year olds. Being in the media (radio) I've met many 9 and 10 year olds who are much better behaved than that :P

darn, lol

• 2 weeks later...
Guest RedLightRacicot
I cant wait to see Mcdonagh play.Hope he doesnt take 2 long.

Yeah, it's hard not to get excited about Montreal's future on defence. It does feel like we will have to wait for ever though!

Guest RadioHab
Yeah, it's hard not to get excited about Montreal's future on defence. It does feel like we will have to wait for ever though!

Yeah it is killing me seeing all the great talent we have in our system at the moment knowing we will have to wait years before they are rdy to go with the Habs.

Guest Habs_Benny

Being a Wisconsinite and a huge Bucky hockey fan as well as a Habs fan...I cannot wait to see Ryan playing for the Badgers and soon the Canadiens.

Guest RedLightRacicot
Being a Wisconsinite and a huge Bucky hockey fan as well as a Habs fan...I cannot wait to see Ryan playing for the Badgers and soon the Canadiens.

I wish I could get a chance to see him play, oh well enjoy the games!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest twist_and_shout

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm, smell that?

That's the smell of our past 2 years of 1st rounders passing on the rookie camp invite. It's cool that they're dedicated to school, but shouldn't a pro hockey players main schooling/obsession be...well..hockey???

Guest FREDDYBEACH HAB
I thought there was some NCAA rule that prevented them from doing something like that?

Your right amateur status. That's why they had to pay their own way for rookie camp this year.

Guest FREDDYBEACH HAB

That's the smell of our past 2 years of 1st rounders passing on the rookie camp invite. It's cool that they're dedicated to school, but shouldn't a pro hockey players main schooling/obsession be...well..hockey???

First see the post below your comment, and secondly as great a career in hockey might be a university education will take you alot farther if you don't have a career in hockey. Look at Brett Lindros I believe all he got was 17 games and he was done like dinner. What's he got now? A university education would have gone a long way for him, perhaps he's doing that now, I don't know, but their is a good reason why they're not there.

Guest Miltie01

McDonagh is doing the thing he should be doing , nothing wrong with this at all.

Archived