The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Yannick Weber

nipper_mtl

Guest P.Royfan

Welcome and Congratulations you are a Montreal Canadien!

5th pick, 73rd overall (3rd round)

Born: September 23, 1988 - Zurich, Switzerland

Ht: 5'11" Wt: 194

Shoots: Right

2006-07 | Kitchener (OHL) Defence

GP G A PTS PIM

51 13 28 41 42

Guest Handlanger

That guy is great.... one of the few swiss guys who took the risk to go the north america at the age of 16. His stats are pretty good, nice puck-moving D-Man. Give him 3 or 4 year in the minors and he'll be great.

Guest 1970 Habs

He was a rookie in the OHL this year with 13 goals and 28 assists (41 pts) and a plus 5.

In 51 games played he was #18 in scoring for defenceman (#3 Rookie scoring defenceman) in the league.

Not too bad considering 13 of the 17 of the defenceman with more points ahead of him played 63 or more games.

• 2 months later...
Guest montreal
I'd like to see him playing in the AHL this year.

He's too young. He can play in the AHL at the end of this season when Kitchner's season is over. He'll turn 20 next year so he can play in Hamilton full time next season. If I'm not mistaken, Kitchner hosts the Memorial Cup this year, so if they do it should be a great experience for him.

He's too young. He can play in the AHL at the end of this season when Kitchner's season is over. He'll turn 20 next year so he can play in Hamilton full time next season.

Hmm are you sure about that? Most players are stuck in juniors for two years after being drafted, unless it's different because he was only born in 88

Also you only have to be 18 to play in the AHL I believe, it's just the CHL has his rights.

If I'm not mistaken, Kitchner hosts the Memorial Cup this year, so if they do it should be a great experience for him.

Yes they do.

I've purchased some Rangers tickets for December, so I'm looking forward to seeing this kid play.

Guest overlords
Hmm are you sure about that? Most players are stuck in juniors for two years after being drafted, unless it's different because he was only born in 88

Also you only have to be 18 to play in the AHL I believe, it's just the CHL has his rights.

Yes they do.

I've purchased some Rangers tickets for December, so I'm looking forward to seeing this kid play.

It's 19 or 20 to play in the ahl. Because lats couldn't be sent down last year and was the main reason ( imo) for him being in the lineup .

It's 19 or 20 to play in the ahl. Because lats couldn't be sent down last year and was the main reason ( imo) for him being in the lineup .

It has nothing to do with age though. Or well indirectly it does. The reason Lats couldn't play in the AHL wasn't that he was too young (you only need to be 18 like most pro leagues) it was that a junior team still owned his rights, and the AHL and CHL respect each other's contracts and have no transfer agreements. So in reality it would rarely happen you'd get an 18 or 19 year old in the AHL, but it is allowed, it's just most players have their rights somewhere else (Europe, CHL, etc.)

Archived