The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Underrated Movies

czechomania

Guest Hoser

Every year, new movies come out with all kinds of hype and Oscar buzz. Sometimes, they turn out alright, and sometimes they turn out to be not so great. But it seems that sometimes the best movies are the ones that no one seems to notice. This is a thread for these movies. List you're favourite under-the-radar flicks, old or new.

Screamers - Ok, it's no Alien and the effects are pretty B-movie, but Screamers is a cool sci-fi movie with a lot of great action sequences and some of the creepiest bad guys in the history of cinema. Adapted from a Philip K. Dick short-story.

Johnny Mnemonic - Another bit of B-grade sci-fi gold. Stars Keanu Reeves in a role designed for him - an empty-headed, emotionless man who's carrying information in his head that's going to kill him if he can't get rid of it.

Bubba Ho-Tep - Like everything else Bruce Campbell did in his life, this was so freakin' underrated. What happens when an aging Elvis Presley and a black man who thinks he's JFK meet in an old-folks home and team up to bring down a soul-sucking mummy? Got good reviews but never got the exposure.

Darkman - Sam Raimi's least-appreciated work is IMO his second-best (Behind Army of Darkness, which isn't really underrated anymore). Liam Neeson gets his face melted off, so he builds himself a new one and becomes a sort-of-superhero, kicking all kinds of *****. Man, B-movies are so awesome.

Heavy Metal - Ok, so maybe a Canadian anime made in the 80's based on a German magazine seems like just a nerdy guilty pleasure... and that's why I love it so much. Completely irreverent, funny and entertaining, Heavy Metal is just plain fun to watch... unless you're one of them plot-nazis.

So, what are your favourite underrated movies? I could go on forever (Santa With Muscles, anyone?) but I'll spare ya.

Guest Le Gros Bill

HEY! I am a HUGE fan of "Darkman" - kind of reminds me of a modern day "Phantom of the Opera"

Other under-rateds that I never miss when they are on:

"Fantastic Voyage" (Man I wish I could have pulled those sticky deals off of a young Racquel Welch!) :)

"Diner" (one of the BEST movies of all time but I still think it is under-rated)

"Blue Max" (George Peppard rocks)

"The Incredible Mr. Limput" (I just cannot say "Don Knotts rocks") ;)

"The Great Escape" (Steve McQueen - the coolest prisoner of war - EVER!)

"The Flight of the Phoenix" (The original with James Stewart)

I will think of more.......good topic :)

Guest ChriS_HigGinS#1

Boondock Saints is one of my favorite movies that has been more underground then anything. Not too many people I know have heard about it.

Guest spankydriscoll
Boondock Saints is one of my favorite movies that has been more underground then anything. Not too many people I know have heard about it.

i'd hardly call it underground anymore. it's pretty popular now. still waiting for the damn sequel.

L.A. Confidential is my favourite movie of all time, and it's pretty ridiculous that Titanic beat it out for best picture. Honestly, I think it's one of the best movies out there. You can hardly find anything wrong with it !

Guest newton
Heavy Metal

Underrated? Hell, it's widely considered as a cult classic!

Anyway, don't know how Unbreakable fared overseas but here in Europe, nobody seems to like this movie. Many people actually hate it. I'm no big fan of Shyamalan but I absolutely LOVE Unbreakable. There you go, my fave underdog.

Guest cup crazy88

Boondock saints is a good one, also i don't think the great escape is underated, just not very known amongst the younger generation, i love it though especially since it's my dads fav movie and seen a good 10 times since i was like 4-5... And lucky number slevin is a sick movie if you haven't yet, but i dont think it flew under the radar...

Donnie Darko is a good movie with Jake Jylenhall (or however u spell it?..), iunno how many ppl will have heard of it but "Lock, stock and two smoking barrels" was good although i havent seen it in a while..

Guest spankydriscoll

anyone ever seen 40 Days and 40 Nights ? for a comedy, i thought it was pretty damn good and very underrated. lots of hot chicks.

Guest Lafleurs Guy
Every year, new movies come out with all kinds of hype and Oscar buzz. Sometimes, they turn out alright, and sometimes they turn out to be not so great. But it seems that sometimes the best movies are the ones that no one seems to notice. This is a thread for these movies. List you're favourite under-the-radar flicks, old or new.

Screamers - Ok, it's no Alien and the effects are pretty B-movie, but Screamers is a cool sci-fi movie with a lot of great action sequences and some of the creepiest bad guys in the history of cinema. Adapted from a Philip K. Dick short-story.

Johnny Mnemonic - Another bit of B-grade sci-fi gold. Stars Keanu Reeves in a role designed for him - an empty-headed, emotionless man who's carrying information in his head that's going to kill him if he can't get rid of it.

Bubba Ho-Tep - Like everything else Bruce Campbell did in his life, this was so freakin' underrated. What happens when an aging Elvis Presley and a black man who thinks he's JFK meet in an old-folks home and team up to bring down a soul-sucking mummy? Got good reviews but never got the exposure.

Darkman - Sam Raimi's least-appreciated work is IMO his second-best (Behind Army of Darkness, which isn't really underrated anymore). Liam Neeson gets his face melted off, so he builds himself a new one and becomes a sort-of-superhero, kicking all kinds of *****. Man, B-movies are so awesome.

Heavy Metal - Ok, so maybe a Canadian anime made in the 80's based on a German magazine seems like just a nerdy guilty pleasure... and that's why I love it so much. Completely irreverent, funny and entertaining, Heavy Metal is just plain fun to watch... unless you're one of them plot-nazis.

So, what are your favourite underrated movies? I could go on forever (Santa With Muscles, anyone?) but I'll spare ya.

Bubba Ho Tep rocks.

Other greats include: Gangster number one, Kung Fu Hustle, For Love of the Game, Rustler's Rhapsody, The Cooler and The Game.

Guest spankydriscoll

gahhh... going to see the Nancy Drew movie tonight with 2 ladies.. i have nothing better to do..

sadly, it will not ever be an underrated movie. god, i hate myself right now.

Guest little-potato
Monty Pythoin and The Holy Grail

Napoleon Dynamite

Napoleon Dynamite? IMO, this movie is overrated. Everyone told me that it was FUNNY. I watched it and it was ok...

Guest spankydriscoll

napoleon was awesome

any of the monty python movies are terrible.. the most i ever made it thru one was about a half hour

Guest lfrommtl
napoleon was awesome

any of the monty python movies are terrible.. the most i ever made it thru one was about a half hour

depends on your sense of humour.

HAROLD AND KUMAR GO TO WHITE CASTLE!!!!

imo the funniest movie in he past 5 years.

i couldnt stop laughing

theres also lock stock and two smoking barrels.

that too was very funny.

Guest Hoser
napoleon was awesome

Odd, I think the exact opposite. Napolean Dynamite sucked, horribly - it was unbelievably overrated. But the Python flicks are hilarious... and also overrated. Hah.

Napoleon Dynamite? IMO, this movie is overrated. Everyone told me that it was FUNNY. I watched it and it was ok...

It seemed to me like a SNL movie. That is, the characters are so bizarre that they work in a 10 minute skit, but turning them into a 90 minute movie just drags everything out and I get bored. Napolean Dynamite would be great on a sketch comedy show, but the movie was just too much.

Odd, I think the exact opposite. Napolean Dynamite sucked, horribly - it was unbelievably overrated. But the Python flicks are hilarious... and also overrated. Hah.

both movies are the same in that there is no middle ground. You either really like them, or you really don't. I've loaned Napolean Dynamite to some friends and out of 3 of them 1 really liked it and the other 2 didn't care for it.

As for the Python flicks I haven't seen all of them, I tried to watch the Holy Grail but gave up after half way through it. I blame it on everyone I know trying to do some of the parts, like burning witches, the black knight etc so when I actually watched the original the jokes just were not that funny.

Guest kngofhearts

A great underrated movie is the old Stalag 17 about american pow's in a Nazi prison camp.....awesome movie....

GRANDMA's BOY----HILLARIOUS!!!! MUST WATCH

Guest lisa_11

Can't think of any,

but NAPOLEON DYNAMITE?

I watched about 30 mins of it and was wondering why on earth I was watching. I'd like those 30 mins of my life back.

It was so bad! People told me to see it and that it was hilarious. Uhh, no.

Archived