The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Richard Zednik

Guest CanadianMike

Guest CanadianMike

I hope I can keep this new thread (thanks mods) . I know there is the old Zed topic collecting dust somewhere, but I wanted to start this one now that I hope he gets a fresh start (and maybe some luck on and off the ice) with the Florida Panthers. Yeah he still got 21 points in 42 games last season (and that is what he usually averages 1 point / every 2 games), but here is hoping he can have an injury free couple of seasons with the Pathers.

Here is the place to talk about Richard Zednik (ex Hab some of us (or maybe it was just me lol) :P really liked, and his new team The Panthers).

Here is his first interview as a Panther.

Zednik Speaks

The South Florida 3 got a chance to speak with Richard Zednik over the phone today. Guy says he's excited about the opportunity, excited about playing for Jacques. Well, what else did anyone expect him to say?

Here you are:

"Florida was my first choice so it was exciting when my agent called and said there was an offer. They have young players, they have some friends of mine like Jozef Stumpel. I just feel like I always liked Florida, I like the team and their style.''

WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU BRING TO LOS PANTEROS?

"I bring experience and it’s exciting to go and help the team make the playoffs.''

PREFERRED POSITION?

"I like right [wing], but I’ll play both sides like I did in Montreal and Washington. We’ll see where I fit. The season is long. We’ll see how the pieces come together.''

PLAYING FOR JM

"Jacques likes speedy wingers. That’s what I like. I can give that and score goals. I feel comfortable. Guy Charron was in Montreal for a while. I know him very well.''

ON LAST YEAR

"I had some things going on in my life: My family, injuries. The people in Washington were great, but it was a time where I don’t want to think about. I want to move forward with my new team. Everyone here is hungry to make the playoffs.''

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flapanthers/

Guest Mustangpoirier4

i don't care what anybody says but zednik is a good player and it sucks that we lost him, so what he had a bad season and last season he got injured but common i with he never left

• 3 weeks later...
Guest CanadianMike

I have a question that has NOTHING to do with hockey (and is pretty silly really), but it is July and I don't know where to post this and I am curious.

It is about Zed's tattoo (maybe someone can start a topic about players tattoos :lol: ) anyways. All I have seen is a small pic of it. Does anyone know what it is (the one on his arm (in case he has more than one) Was there any info about it in an issue of les canadiens magazine or on tv?

Thanks

I didn't care about getting a Caps (have a tshirt) or Isles Zed jersey, but I want a Panthers one :blush:

Guest rosalie52

If he stays healthy, Richard Zednik can really help the Florida Panthers. Thanks for the quotes, CanadianMike. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about Zed's tatoo. I didn't know he wears one.

I still love you, Zed.

Guest Gumper-73

Sadly, the Z's NHL career nosedived after the McLaren elbow which was incredibly vicious. He has bever been the same player since. I am not trying to throw blame at Z but he was ecellent carrying speed off the rush and going hard to the net. It was what made Z an asset. After the hit that element of his game was TOTALLY gone. Now he is a hard shooting perimeter player who is mediocre to poor defensively. Still hanging around for the money? He's no dummy and I can't say I blame him. Too bad.

Guest CanadianMike

let me count the ways I HATE McLaren. :angry:

Just to have Zed healthy and score goals again. Wish he could watch videos of himself before THE HIT. He is so fast and if he could only go back to cutting the net. One thing is for sure he gets a chance to play 2nd line with the Panthers and looks like he will have PP time (something he didn't see in his last season with Montreal, not much with the Caps and none of with his very short stay with the Isles).

@rosalie when I find the pic I will upload it and post it here.

Sadly, the Z's NHL career nosedived after the McLaren elbow which was incredibly vicious. He has bever been the same player since.

I disagree, infact Zednik had his 2 best NHL seasons in the 2 years directly after the hit.

Maybe the lockout had something to do with the change in his game?

Guest Gumper-73
I disagree, infact Zednik had his 2 best NHL seasons in the 2 years directly after the hit.

Maybe the lockout had something to do with the change in his game?

I stand by my original point. He had 26 goals the following year and was a non-factor in the play-offs. After that he has been toast. It's not that Z doesn't try but the most dynamic part of his game is now gone. He was never the most consistent player to begin with. The lock-out has hurt Z more then it hleped. His unique off the rush skills were a tremendous weapon in the old NHL because there was no way to consistently defend it. That's why McLaren who Z was making a fool of that series resorted to the punishment he inflicted. I enjoyed Z when he was here but am sad at his unfulfilled promise.

I stand by my original point. He had 26 goals the following year and was a non-factor in the play-offs. After that he has been toast.

He actually had 31 goals the following year, and the team didn't make the playoffs that year (the hit was in the 2002 playoffs, the next year was 02-03).

So his career high in goals came the season directly after the hit, and not only that, but he was playing the best hockey of his career imo.

Then 2 years after the hit, 03-04, he had 26 goals, so I assume that's what you were talking about, and forgot that the hit was in the 02 playoffs NOT the 03 playoffs (which we didn't participate in).

But the nonfactor in the playoffs thing has me scratching my head, his numbers weren't staggering, but he was very good playing with Koivu and Kovalev, including scoring 2 goals in the 2-0 game 7 win over the Bruins.

Guest CanadianMike

"But the nonfactor in the playoffs thing has me scratching my head, his numbers weren't staggering, but he was very good playing with Koivu and Kovalev, including scoring 2 goals in the 2-0 game 7 win over the Bruins. "

BEST GAME EVER!! The partying we did after that game downtown..everyone screaming ZEDNIK's name (good ol days)

still looking for a copy of that game.

Guest habsfan7344

I MISS U ZEDNIK!! AND I WISH U SOO MUCH LUCK WHEN U ARE IN FLORIDA!!

I remember so much about Zednik he is a awsome hockey player i really want him to come back to montreal!!! we love him there!!! I have his card when he was on montreal and when ever i look at it i get a happy feeling!!!

I WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER U AS A HAB ZED!!! :D

GO HABS GO!!!

again good luck Zed!!

zednik_77889.jpg

Guest CanadianMike

whoo hoooo we have our own little ZED fan club. :)

We are Zedheads and proud of it. :lol: (If anyone doesn't know. when Zed was with Washington first time around he had bleached blond hair) There was a promotion one game ZEDHEAD night. (Halloween night I think) Some fans got to bleach their hair. ZEDNIK got a hattrick that night (his only one so far). I have that game on dvd (bought it from a Capitals fan).

Guest rosalie52
whoo hoooo we have our own little ZED fan club. :)

We are Zedheads and proud of it. :lol: (If anyone doesn't know. when Zed was with Washington first time around he had bleached blond hair) There was a promotion one game ZEDHEAD night. (Halloween night I think) Some fans got to bleach their hair. ZEDNIK got a hattrick that night (his only one so far). I have that game on dvd (bought it from a Capitals fan).

I didn't know that story. I'm jealous of you havin' that game on DVD, CanadianMike. :lol:

Guest CanadianMike
I didn't know that story. I'm jealous of you havin' that game on DVD, CanadianMike. :lol:

wasn't his best 3 goals, but still cool to have. If I knew how to make a copy of it...I would for you. : /

Guest CanadianMike

If anyone is interested...The Panthers have launched their message board today! (official site)

yep..I joined ZednikFan :)

Guest Gumper-73
He actually had 31 goals the following year, and the team didn't make the playoffs that year (the hit was in the 2002 playoffs, the next year was 02-03).

So his career high in goals came the season directly after the hit, and not only that, but he was playing the best hockey of his career imo.

Then 2 years after the hit, 03-04, he had 26 goals, so I assume that's what you were talking about, and forgot that the hit was in the 02 playoffs NOT the 03 playoffs (which we didn't participate in).

But the nonfactor in the playoffs thing has me scratching my head, his numbers weren't staggering, but he was very good playing with Koivu and Kovalev, including scoring 2 goals in the 2-0 game 7 win over the Bruins.

I humbly stand corrected. As well, I had forgotten about the performance against the Bruins as well. Good luck to you Zed -heads. Maybe he'll prove me wrong this year!

Archived