The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Retirement Night Questions

lunarist

Guest lunarist

Hello fellow habs fans,

I was wondering if anyone had any dates on this seasons retirement ceremonies? More specifically....the players to be retired and the corresponding dates.

Thanks,

Lunarist

Hello fellow habs fans,

I was wondering if anyone had any dates on this seasons retirement ceremonies? More specifically....the players to be retired and the corresponding dates.

Thanks,

Lunarist

Nothing has been revealed yet. As has been the case over the last two years, the team will likely hold a press conference to formally announce the names and dates.

Guest P.Royfan

Nothing has been confirmed but everybdy believes one of the next #'s to be retired will be 19 Larry Robinson. If so then here are some possible dates. Nov. 19 vs OTT, Jan 19 vs PITT, or Feb 19 vs NYR

Guest Nikedine
why isnt roy retired yet?! thats retarded (dont answer that...)

Well, there are only 31 days in a month. So there's no 33st day to retire him on, is there? :D

At least that's the only logical explanation I can come up with. ;)

Guest Miltie01

There are a few well deserving players who should have theirs retired first.

Guest Greek Hab

I think the list of players who are next to come are:

- Larry Robinson, as mentioned by P.Royfan

- Bob Gainey. We only have 1 home game this year on the 23rd. Sat, Feb 23, 2008 (vs. Bluejackets)

- Patrick Roy. I say Patrick's number 33 will be the last to be retired...2008-2009 season...or maybe 2009-2010.

Another player who's number I'd like to see get retired is Steve Shutt's #22. Also Jacques Lemaire's #25.

Guest Miltie01

Plante

Dryden

Savard Harvey

Moore Beliveau Richard

Boom Boom Richard Lafleur

...... Mornenz Cournoyer

WOW !!!!! And it will only get better !!!!

Guest lfrommtl

because he showed absolutely no class in his exit from montreal.

yes he was left out to dry. but you dont just whine and complain because of one bad game.

Guest hatethoseleafs

- Bob Gainey. We only have 1 home game this year on the 23rd. Sat, Feb 23, 2008 (vs. Bluejackets)

- Patrick Roy. I say Patrick's number 33 will be the last to be retired...2008-2009 season...or maybe 2009-2010.

Another player who's number I'd like to see get retired is Steve Shutt's #22. Also Jacques Lemaire's #25.

I agree with all of those picks. Shutt was also one of my favourites. He also had the honour of wearing Fergy's number. I wouldnt mind seeing a double retirement for that specific number so that Ferguson is immortalized along with the other Hab greats. Having watched him play back then,,,,there is no doubt in my mind that the Habs winning 5 Cups with him in the lineup was not a fluke.

because he showed absolutely no class in his exit from montreal.

yes he was left out to dry. but you dont just whine and complain because of one bad game.

You also don't leave your franchise and future hall of fame goaltender in for 9 goals against when he's clearly not having a good night. That one's a double edged sword my friend. He wasn't so much whining and complaining as much as he was frustrated by fans who treated him like a bum after he carried this team on his back for over a decade. Remember that before you go criticizing a former hab great. As Jacques Plante and Maurice Richard could testify (if they were alive) Montreal isn't exactly known for their first class treatment of their players.

Guest lfrommtl
You also don't leave your franchise and future hall of fame goaltender in for 9 goals against when he's clearly not having a good night. That one's a double edged sword my friend. He wasn't so much whining and complaining as much as he was frustrated by fans who treated him like a bum after he carried this team on his back for over a decade. Remember that before you go criticizing a former hab great. As Jacques Plante and Maurice Richard could testify (if they were alive) Montreal isn't exactly known for their first class treatment of their players.

point taken but still they never blew up in a manner in which roy did

Guest Blockoman

Blame Mario Tremblay. He was the coach when Roy got scored against 9 times in that infamous game. When Roy said "I'll never play again in a Montreal uniform," he later clarified that he wouldn't play for the Habs as long as Tremblay was coach.

Essentially, the Habs could have either traded Roy or fired Tremblay. How many playoff appearances, or even possibly Stanley Cups, did the mistake of trading him cost?

Guest hatethoseleafs
It cost us at least 2 Stanley Cups that went to the Avs (1996, 2001).

I'm not convinced that we would have won any other Cups with Roy in our nets back then.We had a pretty weak team and even weaker management in those years. I know Patrick was able to carry a decent team pretty well on his back however i wouldnt even go so far as to say we were decent back then. It was a rebuilding stage led by management that didnt have a clue how to do so. A dark period in Hab history that saw us drafting poorly and making some pretty brutal trades.

Guest lfrommtl
Fair...however I still don't think it's right to crucify a former Hab great whom we used to refer to as "St. Patrick". He was our only ray of light at times on what would've otherwise been forgetable seasons.

please note i was three when he got traded.

i am looking at this from a different ppoint of viem then yours :P

please note i was three when he got traded.

i am looking at this from a different ppoint of viem then yours :P

Yeah see, I was 11 when Roy had his phenomenal rookie season (85-86). I was 21 when he was traded and I was heartbroken. We've been searching (Habs fans) for a hero to replace him ever since (IMO).

Guest hatethoseleafs

I wonder if Guy Lapointe is getting any serious consideration??

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lunarist

Thanks for the replies guys and gals. I'm sure when the season ticket holders get their tickets they will know because I believe the retirement nights have special tickets but I could be mistaken.

Lunarist

Go Habs Go

Well, there are only 31 days in a month. So there's no 33st day to retire him on, is there? :D

At least that's the only logical explanation I can come up with. ;)

March 3rd?

There's plenty of players that ought to be done before.

• 9 months later...

Archived