The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Carey Price

pierrehoude

Who do you think will be the best rookie this year?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will win the Calder ?

• Carey Price
    • Patrick Kane
    • Other

Guest Hoser

The thing I love most about Price is that he's so mentallity prepared. He's so cool and collected and excells under pressure. He's struggled this season, but so has his entire team, and junior stats don't prove a thing. He's the future franchise goalie of our organisation. He's athletic with great lateral movment and a strong glove hand. Positionally, he's fantastic, he excells in games with low shot totals because of his supreme concentration, but is not unacustomed to facing 40-45 shots a night.

Guest Dynasty_Redux

No doubt about it

He is the Next Theodore, same speed and ahtlecity, except less cocky and and waaaaay bigger, not to mention 10 yrs younger

and better looking 8) (thats right ladies and theo lovers! i went there)

Guest Hoser
No doubt about it

He is the Next Theodore, same speed and ahtlecity, except less cocky and and waaaaay bigger, not to mention 10 yrs younger

and better looking 8) (thats right ladies and theo lovers! i went there)[/quote:7184fd72c8]

I don't think you can compare the two... Theo is the kind of goalie who relies on instinct and reaction, Price is a lot like Huet, positioning and mental strength are his strong points. Hopefully he has more longevity than Huet does.

No doubt about it

and better looking 8) (thats right ladies and theo lovers! i went there)[/quote:67a2b630f5]

I don't think you can compare the two... Theo is the kind of goalie who relies on instinct and reaction, Price is a lot like Huet, positioning and mental strength are his strong points. Hopefully he has more longevity than Huet does.[/quote:67a2b630f5]

Ya and hopefully he won't loose his confidence like Theo and have to be traded

(Even though that is looking a lot in advance)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Khadgar

Price's team is now out of the playoffs in the WHL. Hopefully they get him signed and playing with Hamilton for the rest of the year.

• 3 months later...
Guest Habs_101

Honestly, i dont know about this guy...i mean yes he shows ALOT of promise, but looking at last season's stats he wasn't a standout...let me ask you this wouldn't you have rather had Gilbert Brule??? who was selected by the Coloumbus Blue Jackets in the next pick after Montreal?? To me we got burned bigtime...Brule is going to be a franchise player!!

Guest cup crazy88

ok, when they first annouced they were drafting a goalie i was in complete shock, but since theo meltdown and other events during the season, that move just seams better and better. Just goes to show how good of a hockey mind bob gainey has. If you are not impressed with his stats tho and think hes a huge waste, think again. He is goltending on a very mediocre team with the tri-city americans, think like roberto luongo almost in florida, (not the same, but a good comparison of the situation). On average he got over 30 shots a game, compared to 23 for justin pogge (guy who goalie in WJC last yr, drafted by toronto yr before) on a better team skill wise.

Just wait till the WJC this christmas, he will be backstoping the canadian team to another gold medal :D !! Then u will really c what he cna do.. still a few yrs away from ne NHL action tho, just b patient.

I don't think the Habs were expecting Huet to play amazingly like he has been this year when they drafted Huet... but I still expect him to be in the NHL in 2 years from now. Look for Yann Danis to be traded as well.[/quote:55a9f05656]

When the habs drafted Huet??? What r u talking about... they traded Mathieu Garon and a 3rd pick for Huet and Radek Bonk to LA Kings..

Everyone keeps throwing Price’s stats out, they really don’t matter in the least bit, if you’re looking at goalies junior stats as an indicator of how they will perform in the NHL, you’re going to get burned at the draft table…

As mentioned, Price played on a horrible team, but the fact is, you draft goalies almost solely on potential, want some examples? Marc-Andre Fleury, the year before he was drafted (number 1 overall) had a 3.36 GAA and a .910 SV%…the year before Roy was drafted he had a 5.55 GAA… If you want to just a young goalie, judge them on athleticism, size, and potential, not on their junior stats… No one said Price wasn’t a project, all young goalies are, but he was the consensus number one goalie in the draft, and the Habs scouting staff had him ranked ahead of Brule… Maybe in 5 years we look back and question the move, but I don’t see how people can question the move right now based on junior stats.

Guest Habsfan_11
Everyone keeps throwing Price’s stats out, they really don’t matter in the least bit, if you’re looking at goalies junior stats as an indicator of how they will perform in the NHL, you’re going to get burned at the draft table…

As mentioned, Price played on a horrible team, but the fact is, you draft goalies almost solely on potential, want some examples? Marc-Andre Fleury, the year before he was drafted (number 1 overall) had a 3.36 GAA and a .910 SV%…the year before Roy was drafted he had a 5.55 GAA… If you want to just a young goalie, judge them on athleticism, size, and potential, not on their junior stats… No one said Price wasn’t a project, all young goalies are, but he was the consensus number one goalie in the draft, and the Habs scouting staff had him ranked ahead of Brule… Maybe in 5 years we look back and question the move, but I don’t see how people can question the move right now based on junior stats.[/quote:0c24862b55]

I see what you mean. Tri-City did have a terrible season last year, and I'm sure it would have been much worse if it weren't for Price.

Anybody know how Price performed at the Development Camp?

Guest Keith
ok, when they first annouced they were drafting a goalie i was in complete shock, but since theo meltdown and other events during the season, that move just seams better and better. Just goes to show how good of a hockey mind bob gainey has. If you are not impressed with his stats tho and think hes a huge waste, think again. He is goltending on a very mediocre team with the tri-city americans, think like roberto luongo almost in florida, (not the same, but a good comparison of the situation). On average he got over 30 shots a game, compared to 23 for justin pogge (guy who goalie in WJC last yr, drafted by toronto yr before) on a better team skill wise.

Just wait till the WJC this christmas, he will be backstoping the canadian team to another gold medal :D !! Then u will really c what he cna do.. still a few yrs away from ne NHL action tho, just b patient.[/quote:d27da17204]

Good points. I am still very mad however we took him over Brule. Goalies are the kind you only get that high when you know they will become stars(Maybe they do know), But you get some of the best young talent in the top five picks, I know you can get stinkers too, but less-so than anywhere else in the draft. I would take players in the first three rounds as a GM, then goalies the rest of the way, you'd be bound to get your hands on a star goalie.

Archived