The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Carey Price

pierrehoude

Who do you think will be the best rookie this year?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will win the Calder ?

• Carey Price
    • Patrick Kane
    • Other

Guest habs_fan_4_life
Why rush Price into the NHL, why do we need to? HUet-Halak can handle the job great and we won't need him to come up. Guys, we dont want what happened to M-A Fleury to happen to price.

Agreed.

Guest hatethoseleafs
When Price comes in and does so well. Some Idiot is going to run him over, Crash the net hard and injure him for a month. Write that down.

Guys like Komi and Valentenko just might make that a little tougher to do. ;)

Guest mike.hockeyguy

price will for sure make it to the league, but I don't know about winning the calder. kane will stay out of the nhl for one year. chicago will bring Towes and barker to the nhl ;)

Guest Anetéchrist
Why rush Price into the NHL, why do we need to? HUet-Halak can handle the job great and we won't need him to come up. Guys, we dont want what happened to M-A Fleury to happen to price.

I also agree. Be patient, anything has a time. And I don't want a Fleury-kind of roasted keeper. In other words, I don't want a goalie who plays Vezina one night and John Grahame the next.

Guest thetan_H

I went and seen Price play in the Calder cup play-offs, infact I was at game 5 when they won it.

first of all game one shots, 42-26 for Hershey, this kid shut them out.

In game 5 last period, bulldogs were up 1 goal, and hershey got a 2 on 0, and still couldn't beat him.

when you see the way he plays, it's as if he sees everything in slow motion.

If the habs make the play-offs this year they should throw him in net, this way none of the other teams will be ready for this monster.

Guest ozzie14
okay patrick roy.... slow it down there for a moment let see if hes better than Fleury before we get to hall of fame level.

I can say for a fact that he is much better than Fleury as he has finished #1 in everything he has done so far. Fleury on the other hand has let us down before. I still can't forgive how he crumbled under the pressure in the gold medal game. I mean he really did crumble...

pressure situation Fleury = About the same as Abby this year (it brings shivers!) Fail!

pressure situation Price = Unbeatable. Pass!

As for the next Roy there will never be another! Price may be the next franchise player out of Montreal just like Roy but Roy would try to take a whole team on! Lol I can't see Price doing that anytime soon. :) I mean when you look at the goalie talent out there the only real difference in talent at this level is of course balance, angles, mobility and Nerves. I have played against many goalies in the minors and University AAA leagues and they all tend to know what there doing. Pretty much all of em can read plays before they happen, make the big saves when needed and shoot a puck. Not many can do it consistently. Price can. Roy did. All that has to do with nerves. I see Price with a great future in Montreal. I am going to sit back and watch it unfold.

Guest overlords
Not sure if this has been posted already. If so I apologize , if not enjoy

The only thing i don't like about the kid is that he reminds me of david blaine. He's got 0 emotion in conversation, makes me think he's a robot. He's a cowbow like souray too though, just hoping he sticks around longer.

Guest 1970 Habs
I went and seen Price play in the Calder cup play-offs, infact I was at game 5 when they won it.

first of all game one shots, 42-26 for Hershey, this kid shut them out.

In game 5 last period, bulldogs were up 1 goal, and hershey got a 2 on 0, and still couldn't beat him.

when you see the way he plays, it's as if he sees everything in slow motion.

If the habs make the play-offs this year they should throw him in net, this way none of the other teams will be ready for this monster.

Not a bad idea. It has been done before.

I think Dryden was the guy's name! ;)

Guest Koivu Fan
Never say never. He could end up taking over the starting job due to injuries similar to the way Roy did in 85-86. I mean, at the time when he was drafted we didn't see him in a Habs uniform either due to a log jam between the pipes. At that time we had Jose Theodore signed to a new contract and didn't understand why BG would draft a goalie. But then Theo tanked and so did his replacement (Abby) and then all the sudden the drafting of Price made sense.

With all that said, I'd wait until he's actually named the team's starter before I'd go on proclaiming him rookie of the year. To be quite honest, I see another Blackhawk not mentioned in the Survey winning rookie of the year...one Jonathan Toews.

I agree with you. Huet will likely get hurt by decemberish, and then its all a matter of how Halak is doing and if they can get a vet backup quickly. If not, Price comes up and plays the rest of the year.

Also Toews is my pick for the Calder as well

Guest halaktheway

I said this before under other topics, the reason I see Price coming up, is Huets trade value come the deadline, and theyll wanna see if price can handle the pressure in the nhl before then so they can get something for huet, before he potentially walks for nothing.

The only thing i don't like about the kid is that he reminds me of david blaine. He's got 0 emotion in conversation, makes me think he's a robot. He's a cowbow like souray too though, just hoping he sticks around longer.

Between you and I, he could have the personality of an old barn and I couldn't care less as long as he stops the puck. :P

Guest overlords
Between you and I, he could have the personality of an old barn and I couldn't care less as long as he stops the puck. :P

Yeah, i understand where you're coming from, but it makes me trust him a bit less. I'd like to see a bit of enthusiasm from the kid. You know, he's playing for one of the greatest sports franchises in history, a smile wouldn't hurt :P. I'm just slightly pessimistic about him and won't be surprised to see us screw up and not offer him a suitable long term contract and then see him leave :(. He's one of the ONLY players (besides crosby) that i would ever offer a "wang" type contract to.

If thats the case and he acts like a robot then he shouldn't get rattled at all :P all great goalies were considered "different" by their teammates, Jacque Plante's aloof nature has been well documented by his teammates. Maybe Carey not showing any emotion is how he handles the pressure. Just like Bob Gainey the guy keeps his cards close to his chest. That in itself makes it harder for the other team to try and get under his skin.

I think once Carey gets a year or 2 in the NHL under his belt Bob will offer him an extension on his contract once he shows he can handle the work load. You can mark my words on that :D

Guest diehardhabfan
Just checked on past calder trophy winners:

The last Hab to win it was Ken Dryden in 1972.... hmmm another goalie ???

should've been Ryder in '03 <_<

Guest Anetéchrist
Yeah, i understand where you're coming from, but it makes me trust him a bit less. I'd like to see a bit of enthusiasm from the kid. You know, he's playing for one of the greatest sports franchises in history, a smile wouldn't hurt :P. I'm just slightly pessimistic about him and won't be surprised to see us screw up and not offer him a suitable long term contract and then see him leave :(. He's one of the ONLY players (besides crosby) that i would ever offer a "wang" type contract to.

Well... I kind of remember Sergei Samsonov smiling...

If the guy is of a cold nature, why should we be worried ? It is like saying that Kovalev cares not for the game because he doesn't do backflips after he scores (ok, I exagerate, but you get the point). One can't go against his nature and look natural doing it.

That's why I liked Mike Johnson even if he wasn't an impact player. He was the definition of a warm character. So enthusiast when he scored that he often ended up on his back.

Guest swansee

It is a bit disconcerting and he is also like that off-ice as well! in a position player I would be worried but in a goalie I think it is important......especially for a MONTREAL goalie......pressure doesn't seem to be relevant to Price..........for what it is worth Halk is the same on the ice.....off ice he is low key but a bit more enthusiastic than Carey!

Guest habsboss
No doubt about it

He is the Next Theodore, same speed and ahtlecity, except less cocky and and waaaaay bigger, not to mention 10 yrs younger

and better looking 8) (thats right ladies and theo lovers! i went there)

Guest habsboss

i seen carey price out here whentricities visited and played the pats! he was unbeliveable he will be a superstar goalie! but i think somebody compared him to theodore, please don't ever do that there is no comparision between them price is better now than theodore was/will ever be!! i want to use a word to describe theodore on here but i'm new and don't want to get kicked off!any of my friends and family that are all diehard habs fans like me will tell you how i felt about theodore!! i told all of them that if this guy was/is our goaltender of the future we'd be in trouble and would go nowhere with him in net!!! i mean come,on theodore has won only 2 playoff series in his career! if he gives us ant goaltending at all in the 2 round we probably win a cup or 2!! theodore will never be considered in my mind one of the top 10 goalies in franchise history!

Archived