The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Carey Price

pierrehoude

Who do you think will be the best rookie this year?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will win the Calder ?

• Carey Price
    • Patrick Kane
    • Other

Guest d80jcrant
I guess Gainey changed his tune about the possibility of Price starting the season in Montreal... He'll be there in spite of Carbo's comment, as Price will force them to keep him, sort of like Latendresse did last year.

So what are you saying, That Price will be # 1 or riding the bench as back up??

Guest Miltie01

That is what Bob said..if he earns it he will be in Montreal, either as a back up or starter.

I have a feeling that Price's performances will force the Canadiens into keeping him up in Montreal. He will see limited action early in the season and if he performs well, he'll get more starts to the point that I'm expecting by Christmas time, he'll be our number one or we'll have a 1A - 1B duo with Huet.

Guest jennifer_rocket
I have a feeling that Price's performances will force the Canadiens into keeping him up in Montreal. He will see limited action early in the season and if he performs well, he'll get more starts to the point that I'm expecting by Christmas time, he'll be our number one or we'll have a 1A - 1B duo with Huet.

Price will be this year's Cam Ward.

Huet will be this year's Martin Gerber.

Koivu, this year's Brind-Amour.

Higgins, this year's Staal.

Cole, this year's Cole (we're going to... ugh... acquire him in a trade).

AND WE'RE GOING TO WIN THE CUP, FOR REAL!

Price wins MVP.

Guest syfdawg

I feel that we may see Price once or twice before the all star game and then it will depend on our standings as to how much more action he will see in the second half. I just think that at his age he is better of playing than sitting regardless of the level.

Guest RedLightRacicot
Price will be this year's Cam Ward.

Huet will be this year's Martin Gerber.

Koivu, this year's Brind-Amour.

Higgins, this year's Staal.

Cole, this year's Cole (we're going to... ugh... acquire him in a trade).

AND WE'RE GOING TO WIN THE CUP, FOR REAL!

Price wins MVP.

After Price takes over as starter I hope we have already traded Huet to avoid a Martin Gerber situation. I still Hope Huet succeeds and his value is high enough to get something decent for him at the trade deadline.

After Price takes over as starter I hope we have already traded Huet to avoid a Martin Gerber situation. I still Hope Huet succeeds and his value is high enough to get something decent for him at the trade deadline.

Even if Halak and Price play great I can't see Gainey going with two young goalies...just not his style.

Halak would probably be moved before Huet...but that causes problems for next season...so who knows.

Even if Halak and Price play great I can't see Gainey going with two young goalies...just not his style.

Halak would probably be moved before Huet...but that causes problems for next season...so who knows.

I don't think it causes that many problems. We can always acquire a lower-tier veteran goalie to back up Price. Or even re-sign Huet for less cash if that option is available. Sort of like how NFL teams have their young QB of the future as the starter and a grizzled vet as the second or third-string in case injuries happen and they need someone experienced to come in and win games in the short term (Garcia, Flutie, Testaverde, etc.).

I simply can't WAIT to see Price don the CH for an actual NHL game.

I don't think it causes that many problems. We can always acquire a lower-tier veteran goalie to back up Price. Or even re-sign Huet for less cash if that option is available. Sort of like how NFL teams have their young QB of the future as the starter and a grizzled vet as the second or third-string in case injuries happen and they need someone experienced to come in and win games in the short term (Garcia, Flutie, Testaverde, etc.).

I state these things with Gainey's conservative nature in mind.

The one problem I see with trading Huet is that Gainey is not the type to go with two young goalies.

The one problem I see with trading Halak is that the Habs will go into next training camp short on goalies. Even if Price wins the starting position this year I can't see Gainey going into training camp without a veteran presence who can take over if Price slips up - due to age, not talent. It would be nice if Huet re-signed for a decent price...but does he want to sign with a team where he could easily end up being the back-up? Not so sure about that. Also, other veteran goalies who can be signed for decent prices as an insurance policy are not the kind of goalies I want carrying this team.

Obviously it is a problem that can be fixed..but it does seem a bit tricky. I really wish Huet was already signed for one more year. I can't see him signing for less money...just doesn't happen very often..especially when he was invited to the all star game and has played pretty well.

We wouldn't have a Gerber situation as Huet's contract expires at the end of this season. IF Price takes over as number one throughout this season as I think he will do, I don't see the benefit in trading Huet (for the little we would get for him) as he would be that solid veteran backup who could take over in case of injuries or if Price falters in the playoffs.

My two cents.

Guest RedLightRacicot
We wouldn't have a Gerber situation as Huet's contract expires at the end of this season. IF Price takes over as number one throughout this season as I think he will do, I don't see the benefit in trading Huet (for the little we would get for him) as he would be that solid veteran backup who could take over in case of injuries or if Price falters in the playoffs.

My two cents.

I guess I'm just concerned about losing another good player for nothing. Just like you, I believe Price will take the job at some point this season and if that is the case I would feel confident with him in nets until and right through the playoffs. If Price becomes the starter this year then it means that Gainey and Carboneau have tremendous confidence in him. So much confidence that they were forced to go against the original plan of keeping Price in the AHL a whole season. You are right about having a veteran for the playoffs but I still think Huet's value can be high to another team looking for that same veteran help at the trade deadline. I agree with what weepingminotaur said below to solve our lack of a veteran issue going into the playoffs.

(weepingminotaur @ Sep 6 2007, 10:49 AM)

My prediction is that Price dominates camp, starts the season and never relinquishes his hold on the number 1 job. Huet, a number one goaltender in his own right will say the right things to the media, but behind clsoed doors will be telling Bob that he doesn't have much time in his career left to be playing second fiddle, and a deal will get done relatively early, involving either high level picks or a medium roster player.

I think Price will have a tremendous season and will reap a lot of credit for the Habs relative over-achievement but I suspect that a lot of it will (should) be credited to our underestimated defense.

Here ya go ..................

http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/Hockey/20...479528-sun.html

HABS HOPE PRICE IS RIGHT

Carey Price, who won the world junior gold medal with Canada and the Calder Cup with the Hamilton Bulldogs, is getting plenty of ink after Cristobal Huet, David Aebischer and Jaroslav Halak could not win key games in last year's playoff drive.

"If there is a guy who is ready to play in the NHL, it's (Price)," said new Senators' goalie coach Eli Wilson, Price's personal mentor the past few years

HABS HOPE PRICE IS RIGHT

Carey Price, who won the world junior gold medal with Canada and the Calder Cup with the Hamilton Bulldogs, is getting plenty of ink after Cristobal Huet, David Aebischer and Jaroslav Halak could not win key games in last year's playoff drive.

"If there is a guy who is ready to play in the NHL, it's (Price)," said new Senators' goalie coach Eli Wilson, Price's personal mentor the past few years

But you don't get it Regis... fans who haven't seen him play know much more than his personal goalie coach! :lol:

If he's the best goalie at camp, then he should stay and play .

If he starts to play poorly he can always be sent to the minors .

But you know he will get a shot THIS year

Huet will either start slow, get hurt , or not play well at some point in time during the year and that's when Price will get his shot

Guest 1970 Habs

There seems to be a movement that Price should stay with the club if he shows it at camp this year. That means Halak will probably play in Hamilton. With how well he played down the stretch with the parent club I do not know how this move will affect his confidence or attitude.

Well if Mr. Gainey and Co. make that decision then eventually Huet will probably be traded. If they are going to stay the course with him I do not like the idea of getting another veteran goaltender if Huet is traded. Price will have played most of the season with Huet and have worked with Melanson (a goalie coach who brought out the best in Theodore). If his stint in Hamilton is any indication I believe he should be able to handle the pressure of the playoffs just fine. Bring up Halak from Hamilton and let him ride #2 spot down the stretch and into the playoffs.

HABS HOPE PRICE IS RIGHT

Question? If Price is that good at his age why did Halak finish the season last year and not Price?

Guest 1970 Habs
Question? If Price is that good at his age why did Halak finish the season last year and not Price?

In answer to your question:

Price was playing in the WHL and was not under contract with Montreal. Therefore he could not play in the NHL.

Halak on the other hand was under contract with Montreal playing in Hamilton and was eligible to play in the NHL.

Guest Maniaque
Price was playing in the WHL and was not under contract with Montreal. Therefore he could not play in the NHL.

Halak on the other hand was under contract with Montreal playing in Hamilton and was eligible to play in the NHL.

Not to mention he's a pretty good goaler as well. In fact he seemed to be a match for Huet.

Guys. You're about to crush the man under the pressure of being Montreal's savior...this is ridiculous. Give the man a break. For his sake (and yours), give the man some room to breath.

Guest 1970 Habs
Not to mention he's a pretty good goaler as well. In fact he seemed to be a match for Huet.

Guys. You're about to crush the man under the pressure of being Montreal's savior...this is ridiculous. Give the man a break. For his sake (and yours), give the man some room to breath.

Yeah Halak was a rookie in the AHL and a rookie in the NHL in the same season.

I think many would be singing a different tune about Halak had he led the team into the playoffs and won a round or two.

Archived