The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Carey Price

pierrehoude

Who do you think will be the best rookie this year?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will win the Calder ?

• Carey Price
    • Patrick Kane
    • Other

You don't get too many chances to draft a franchis goalie, let alone a franchise goalie with size,quickness,poise and puck-handling ability.

So, to this, I am sorry I ever doubted the Montreal scouting staff when they chose Carey Price.

Like the Pens have a franchise goalie in M-A Fleury although he's probaly a little bit better than Price because he's already in the NHL and he made it in at the age of 19?(Corect me if im wrong)

Like the Pens have a franchise goalie in M-A Fleury although he's probaly a little bit better than Price because he's already in the NHL and he made it in at the age of 19?(Corect me if im wrong)

Fleury is OK, but i cant say hes better than Price for being in the NHL already

Pittsburg had NO goalie, and NO money to spend on a goalie, they had no choice but to promote Fleury to the NHL at such a young age, and even FLEURY was sent down to the AHL after a while, because if he had played 40 games, he gets 3 million $, so Mario sent him down

Price is bigger than Fleury and just as Athletic, its gonna be a treat to watch Price in the NHL

Let's not forget that Price was our best goalie at camp, ahead of Aebischer, Huet, Danis and Halak...

As for the comparaison between Price and Huet, the Pens didn't have a choice but to bring Fleury up ahead of his time as they haven't had a true number one goalie since Tom Barrasso. I certainly wouldn't say that Fleury is a better goalie than Carey Price, far from that. If I had to chose today, I'd still take Price for his size (very important in today's NHL, especially for a butterfly goalie) and for his puck handling ability. :two:

On a side note, Fleury was 19 then turned 20 on November 28 that year, when the Pens kept him for 22 games. He had a 4-14-2 record, a 3.64 GAA and a .896 sv%, nothing to write a book about. Two years later was if true first NHL season and he went 13-27-6 with a 3.25 GAA and a .898 sv%. Including this year, Fleury is a combined 31-51-12, has a 3.30 GAA and a .897 sv%... Not to hard for Price to reach isn't it? Oh and Price is 2 1/2 years younger than Fleury. :wink:

Guest habfansham
One thing you definitely DO NOT want to do, is rush a goalie into the NHL when you know he is not ready.. that often can lead to big mistakes..

Good point.

Guest sportsfreak_39

yes but whena goalie is rushe dup it can completely ruin him just look at dipietro, he isnt ruined, but hes in his 5th year during a time where most goalies would just be starting. When you aren't rushed youre able to develop, do it relaxed, and take it easy till u reach the big time. You cant use fleurys numbers as a comparison, because he was brought up quickly and to a bad team, they may be good now, but not defensively, plus hes already shown many flashes of future greatness.

Let's not forget that Price was our best goalie at camp, ahead of Aebischer, Huet, Danis and Halak...  

As for the comparaison between Price and Huet, the Pens didn't have a choice but to bring Fleury up ahead of his time as they haven't had a true number one goalie since Tom Barrasso. I certainly wouldn't say that Fleury is a better goalie than Carey Price, far from that. If I had to chose today, I'd still take Price for his size (very important in today's NHL, especially for a butterfly goalie) and for his puck handling ability. :two:  

On a side note, Fleury was 19 then turned 20 on November 28 that year, when the Pens kept him for 22 games. He had a 4-14-2 record, a 3.64 GAA and a .896 sv%, nothing to write a book about. Two years later was if true first NHL season and he went 13-27-6 with a 3.25 GAA and a .898 sv%. Including this year, Fleury is a combined 31-51-12, has a 3.30 GAA and a .897 sv%... Not to hard for Price to reach isn't it? Oh and Price is 2 1/2 years younger than Fleury.  :wink:

spot on JL

let be patient

hes bound to steal us a cup...or two....or three....:mrgreen:

-Matt

One thing you definitely DO NOT want to do, is rush a goalie into the NHL when you know he is not ready.. that often can lead to big mistakes..

With Danis and Halak listed ahead of Price in the depth chart and in age, we dont have to worry about that

im not saying halak and danis are YEAAARS ahead of good ol Price, but we are lucky to have those 2 in the AHL while Price can simply jump to the AHL next year, play a year or two and be ready for backup duties in the NHL before taking over as Number 1 Goalie, Pittsburg did not have this luxury, we fortunately do thanks to the lottery of 05 where we got 5 overal, where pittsburg tops us in that department was of course in that same lottery they landed the number 1 pick, lol, and picked up that little fellow known as Sidney Crosby

Fleury is definatly a more talented goaltender then Price; and I think Price is a monster, which just goes to show how good I think Fleury is. The problem with Fleury is simple - no confidence. When he lets in a few goals, his confidence goes and he becomes a complete sieve. He's got incredible reflexes and his athleticism is fantastic, but he just doesn't have enough confidence in his abilities.

Price is different. He's very mature about his game, and he's quietly confident in nets. Bad goals don't bother him. He's also a lot bigger then Fleury and doesn't need to rely on spectacular reflexes to make saves because his positioning is incredible. I swear, it's like watching Olaf Kolzig in nets, only faster and with far better puckhandling. Just can't wait for him to be an NHler... but do not rush him!

On a side note, Fleury was 19 then turned 20 on November 28 that year, when the Pens kept him for 22 games. He had a 4-14-2 record, a 3.64 GAA and a .896 sv%, nothing to write a book about. Two years later was if true first NHL season and he went 13-27-6 with a 3.25 GAA and a .898 sv%. Including this year, Fleury is a combined 31-51-12, has a 3.30 GAA and a .897 sv%... Not to hard for Price to reach isn't it? Oh and Price is 2 1/2 years younger than Fleury.  :wink:

You forgot to mention that FLeury with a winning record this year of 14-10 , he STILL has a GAA of 3.98 and a SV% of .897 !!!!!!

i mean COME ON, Price will surely do better

Ok thanks I was wrong:p Wow Carey Price outplayed NHL goalies in training camp INCLUDING Huet? WOW! Montreal isn't going to have any goaltending problems for the next 20 years with our current goalies(Huet,Abby)and future goalies(Price,Danis,Halak)

Ok thanks I was wrong:p Wow Carey Price outplayed NHL goalies in training camp INCLUDING Huet? WOW! Montreal isn't going to have any goaltending problems for the next 20 years with our current goalies(Huet,Abby)and future goalies(Price,Danis,Halak)

Yeah , Take it from me

I went to the 4 Training camp practices they had at Pierrefonds arena (i live in ile bizard , the arena is accross my bridge lol) , and The main goalies that stood out were by FAR, Price and Halak

And then i went to one pre season game vs Boston, Huet started the game, and Price finished it

Huet let in 4 goals and Price let in one goal that went off a stick, not taking anything away from huet

but , a story i ocne told on these boards

When price came in nets, i stood up and yelled at the crowd surrounding me " GLOVE OF GOD!!!!!" , risky move, everyone thought i was nuts

but sure enough, Glen murray creeped in on the left side and took a pass and was all alone and FIRED it at the left post, and price NABBEd it right out of mid air, man, i dont have to tell you how many people in the crowd around told me "good call man"

what a feeling, to call it, and to see it on TSN honour that night.

Guest cup crazy88

haha well you can't exactly make any real conclusions based on performance in training camp and such, only that Price will be good..

There is only one position in the NHL where a player has the power to single handedly change a game around and win more or less by himself: goaltender

Carey Price, in time, will make people forget Gilbert Brulé... you can count on that! :wtv:

Gilbert Brule will make people forget about Gilbert Brule... he's the most overrated prospect I've ever seen. Doing absolutely terribly in Columbus; Price can outdo that.

Guest sportsfreak_39
Yeah , Take it from me

I went to the 4 Training camp practices they had at Pierrefonds arena (i live in ile bizard , the arena is accross my bridge lol) , and The main goalies that stood out were by FAR, Price and Halak

And then i went to one pre season game vs Boston, Huet started the game, and Price finished it

Huet let in 4 goals and Price let in one goal that went off a stick, not taking anything away from huet

but , a story i ocne told on these boards

When price came in nets, i stood up and yelled at the crowd surrounding me " GLOVE OF GOD!!!!!"  , risky move, everyone thought i was nuts

but sure enough, Glen murray creeped in on the left side and took a pass and was all alone and FIRED it at the left post, and price NABBEd it right out of mid air, man, i dont have to tell you how many people in the crowd around told me "good call man"

what a feeling, to call it, and to see it on TSN honour that night.

I think I remeber seeing you, were you that drunk lunatic in the dark jacket?

ok how bout anze kopitar then :D

Super-skilled centers are a dime-a-dozen these days. It would be nice to have Kopitar on our team right now, but in the long run, having a franchise goalie is a better investment; only a goalie can win you a championship all by his lonesome.

Guest eukinfindme
Super-skilled centers are a dime-a-dozen these days. It would be nice to have Kopitar on our team right now, but in the long run, having a franchise goalie is a better investment; only a goalie can win you a championship all by his lonesome.

hmmmm. building a franchise around a goalie is kind of tough considering by the time he really matures he will be available for UFA at age 25. Has it occured to you that bright young golaies could in fact be a dime a dozen, and that finding a Huet or Aebischer is a lot easier than a Gamble on an unkown gaoltender at such a high pick. What is the difference between Pogge and Price? And the leafs got Pogge a lot later in the draft.

I'm sorry, BG made a terrible mistake taking a golaie so early on. I would love to have a Kopitar or a Brule any day over a Price.

Where did Cam Ward (who single handedly won a stanley cup) get drafted? #25 to answer the question, and he has payed more divivdends than anyone could possibly imagine.

Its not that I dont liek Price, I am happy we have him, it is just that at #5 I would like a but more predictability - and goalies are certainly not predictable.

Archived