The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Carey Price

pierrehoude

Who do you think will be the best rookie this year?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will win the Calder ?

• Carey Price
    • Patrick Kane
    • Other

Ok well I am convinced on Price. He single handedly saved the game for Canada today. If it was not for him the game would have turned out alot differently then it did. He is kinda looking like Justin Pogge of last year. Only better.

hmmmm. building a franchise around a goalie is kind of tough considering by the time he really matures he will be available for UFA at age 25. Has it occured to you that bright young golaies could in fact be a dime a dozen, and that finding a Huet or Aebischer is a lot easier than a Gamble on an unkown gaoltender at such a high pick. What is the difference between Pogge and Price? And the leafs got Pogge a lot later in the draft.  

I'm sorry, BG made a terrible mistake taking a golaie so early on. I would love to have a Kopitar or a Brule any day over a Price.  

Where did Cam Ward (who single handedly won a stanley cup) get drafted? #25 to answer the question, and he has payed more divivdends than anyone could possibly imagine.  

Its not that I dont liek Price, I am happy we have him, it is just that at #5 I would like a but more predictability - and goalies are certainly not predictable.

There is a big, big difference between Price and Pogge. Pogge is not a franchise goaltender; he's an average goalie who got really hot for 6 games, and that's what he'll be remembered for. Just look at his AHL preformance - without an incredible defense in front of him (like in Calgary) he's average at best. Did you watch him at the Spenglar Cup? Letting in shots from beyond the blue-line is not the hallmark of a quality goaltender.

And yes, there are a lot of goaltenders available in the UFA market, there are not a lot who are as good as Price is; Price is the best goaltender to come out of the darft since Lehtonen, he has the potential, with a solid team in front of him, to win Cups on his own. He IS that good. You don't pass that up. Brule is a nobody and Kopitar was never expected to be this good.

Price was the best player available to us in the Top 10. He's better then Brule, Skille, Setoguchi, Lee, and Bourdon. You'll see that soon enough.

Guest feistyboy27

Price had another awesome game today for Canada as they won 3-1. He made a highlight reel save to keep them up by 2 goals late in the 3rd period which preserved the win.

Leland Irving will probably get the final game vs Slovakia. The only way Price does not start in the semis is if Irving gets a shutout and Slovakia gets atleast 25 shots on net. If that does not happen Price will start the semis as well I think. GO PRICE!

Price had another awesome game today for Canada as they won 3-1.  He made a highlight reel save to keep them up by 2 goals late in the 3rd period which preserved the win.    

Leland Irving will probably get the final game vs Slovakia.  The only way Price does not start in the semis is if Irving gets a shutout and Slovakia gets atleast 25 shots on net.   If that does not happen Price will start the semis as well I think.  GO PRICE!

Price is starting the important games no matter what. He'll probably play vs Slovakia so they don't run the risk of letting him go cold; he's the go-to guy.

Guest feistyboy27
Price is starting the important games no matter what. He'll probably play vs Slovakia so they don't run the risk of letting him go cold; he's the go-to guy.

I hope you are right, I will be super mad if Price does not start the semis even if Slovakia plays a monster game and gets 50 shots and Irving stopped every single one of them. He has played too well for 3 straight games not to start the medal games IMO. I am just preparing myself for everything, including the emotional letdown of the worst case scenario.

As for the Slovakia game since the coach isnt going to announce until tommorow I suspect he will give Irving that game.

Guest sportsfreak_39

One thing I liek about him is he has a great personality, you can see that from his interview with tsn after the germany game, hes modest, yet honest and funny. No cliches like 99% of the athletes.

Price with the 32-save shutout over Slovakia. I didn't watch the game, but it sounds like he played spectacularily, and the rest of the team did not. How could you give up 32 shots againts Slovakia?

Guest feistyboy27

Price has been totally robbed of Player of the Game for Canada twice now, this game and his first game. That makes me so mad, they should just drop the stupid award if they dont give it the right people.

Price has just been amazing for Canada two shutouts in the Prelims and he single handedly saved a few games for Canada. Good to see that we once again have another solid goalie between the pipes going into the medal rounds. And it makes it even sweeter that he is a Habs prospect who will be on the Habs roster in the not too distant future.

Guest eukinfindme
There is a big, big difference between Price and Pogge. Pogge is not a franchise goaltender; he's an average goalie who got really hot for 6 games, and that's what he'll be remembered for. Just look at his AHL preformance - without an incredible defense in front of him (like in Calgary) he's average at best. Did you watch him at the Spenglar Cup? Letting in shots from beyond the blue-line is not the hallmark of a quality goaltender.  

And yes, there are a lot of goaltenders available in the UFA market, there are not a lot who are as good as Price is; Price is the best goaltender to come out of the darft since Lehtonen, he has the potential, with a solid team in front of him, to win Cups on his own. He IS that good. You don't pass that up. Brule is a nobody and Kopitar was never expected to be this good.

Price was the best player available to us in the Top 10. He's better then Brule, Skille, Setoguchi, Lee, and Bourdon. You'll see that soon enough.

Hoser,

since you troll me around al the time, I will take the time to respond. Don't get me wrong, I really do like Price, and who doesn;t like a young goaltender. The problem is that golaies tkae a very long time to get NHL ready, and by the time he is ready, he may be 23 or 24 which leaves 1-2 more years before he becomes a UFA. If he is as good as people say he is, and turns out to be great (unlike Dipietro or Fleury who were also taken in the top 10) then we will have to offer a huge contract after his second year in the league because if we don't then some other team will.

My thinking is this.... Goalies are tough to find, and I don't believe you can draft them as I feel some mature later than others and it is next to impossible to predict their future. So why waste a #5 pick on a Price? Kopitar on the other hand is a Monster - and don't say people didn't think he was good.. TSN had him at #5 and Central Scouting had him at #4, in a draft year with Crosby, so that could be more like #4 or #3 in other years. He was a 95% sure thing - a towering power forward that would have been huge for our relatively small team.

We never know, Carey could be in the team at 21-22 years old (like Fleury and Cam Ward did) I can see him share the work with Huet for the first year or two and then, become our no1.

And he won't be UFA before 30 years old, or 7 years after his first contract. We don't have to think about him leaving the team yet, he's not even in it.

I'm sure the Canadiens didn't waste their 5th pick with him :D

My thinking is this.... Goalies are tough to find, and I don't believe you can draft them as I feel some mature later than others and it is next to impossible to predict their future. So why waste a #5 pick on a Price? Kopitar on the other hand is a Monster - and don't say people didn't think he was good.. TSN had him at #5 and Central Scouting had him at #4, in a draft year with Crosby, so that could be more like #4 or #3 in other years. He was a 95% sure thing - a towering power forward that would have been huge for our relatively small team.

If you had a chance to draft Martin Brodeur 5th overall, would you do it? I would. Where there's a will, there's a way and it is possible to sign players to muti-year contracts, or re-sign them when they become free agents. I certainly wouldn't pass on the opportunity to draft the best goalie in the draft, especially knowing that our arch rivals Toronto Maple Leafs will draft him after if we don't, and we'd have to face him 8 times a year plus playoffs. :two:

Guest eukinfindme
If you had a chance to draft Martin Brodeur 5th overall, would you do it? I would. Where there's a will, there's a way and it is possible to sign players to muti-year contracts, or re-sign them when they become free agents. I certainly wouldn't pass on the opportunity to draft the best goalie in the draft, especially knowing that our arch rivals Toronto Maple Leafs will draft him after if we don't, and we'd have to face him 8 times a year plus playoffs. :two:

yes, but that could be said about any player against our rivals. you don't draft against other teams, you draft for what is best for the franchise. Golatending has never seemd to be a huge issue in Montreal, we always seem to have a few good golaies up the sleeve - our system trains them well. And the broadeur comment is moot - I would take Brodeaur at #1, but NOBODY knew he would be that good.

What the Habs have sorely lacked for a very very very logn time is a "more than a point a game" player. Forget sniper, or pure goal scorer - i just want a 100 point man.. Kopitar (the next Jagr) was that man, and we let him go for a goalie. Now price, at 6'3" could be a huge asset if the NHL adopts bigger nets, but outside that happening, I would say Price could have been a #15 pick.

Guest cup crazy88
I would take Brodeaur at #1, but NOBODY knew he would be that good.

Same goes for any player in the draft like Anze Kopitar... would you really want to take a chance on the first Slovenian?... I thought he would be a good player however he was still somewhat of a gamble which scared off the teams in the Top 10 and left him avalible for LA at the number 11 spot, besides habs have tons of depth at the forward position.. Its a two way street buddy..

Remeber, a goalie can win a game more or less by himself and you rarely go far in the playoffs without a good one..

Guest sportsfreak_39

If the habs are really worried about him becoming a free agent too soon, theyll slowly let him wokr his way up. But when youre labeled a franchise goalie, they usually never hit free agency.

From watching Price at the WJC...I have noticed that Huet has seemed to rubbed off on him..I mean he is playing a little more controlled, positional and controling rebounds jsut like HUet....I know he admires Huet so wondering if he has learned from him and gotten some pointers maybe..either way he is even better now then he was before!

From watching Price at the WJC...I have noticed that Huet has seemed to rubbed off on him..I mean he is playing a little more controlled, positional and controling rebounds jsut like HUet....I know he admires Huet so wondering if he has learned from him and gotten some pointers maybe..either way he is even better now then he was before!

I also don't think it's a fluke that both goalies have worked with Rollie, (Price at training camp)

I really don't think this guy gets enough credit, he's done an amazing job for as long as I remember him being here.

Archived