The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2007-08 Lines

alzimutg

Guest A Semin

Line-ups for next season will probably change a lot, up-front. The most sure line should be the 4th line, with Bégin, Lapierre and Kostopopoulos. But most of them could also be on the 3rd, while Latendresse, Streit, Smolinsky (I heard-read he is slowing down) could end up there as well. We never know, but Chipp or Ferland could crack the line-up as well on the 4th.

Higgins-Koivu-Kovalev

Kost(A), Pleck, Ryder

Latendresse, Smoke, Streit

Bégin, Lapierre, Kostopopoulos

or Ryder, Koivu, Kovalev

and the kid line(you know the line)

3rd and 4th stay the same

I already did the defense pair-ups in a seperate topic....

When you make the line-up, you have to keep in mind that Pleck can't play with Kovalev (not working, base on last season) and that Latendresse can't play with Ryder (defense trouble). I hope that Koivu can play with Kovalev, cause we don't have tons of options. A Ryder, Koivu and Kovalev line could be a disaster for us (defense, not working hard enought), so I think the best scenario, is the first one(with Higgins on the first).

Looking at the line-up, I hope that we could make a trade ( A) Kovalev, B) Ryder) to shake things up and to have lines that make sens.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest A Semin
Line-ups for next season will probably change a lot, up-front. The most sure line should be the 4th line, with Bégin, Lapierre and Kostopopoulos. But most of them could also be on the 3rd, while Latendresse, Streit, Smolinsky (I heard-read he is slowing down) could end up there as well. We never know, but Chipp or Ferland could crack the line-up as well on the 4th.

Higgins-Koivu-Kovalev

Kost(A), Pleck, Ryder

Latendresse, Smoke, Streit

Bégin, Lapierre, Kostopopoulos

or Ryder, Koivu, Kovalev

and the kid line(you know the line)

3rd and 4th stay the same

I already did the defense pair-ups in a seperate topic....

When you make the line-up, you have to keep in mind that Pleck can't play with Kovalev (not working, base on last season) and that Latendresse can't play with Ryder (defense trouble). I hope that Koivu can play with Kovalev, cause we don't have tons of options. A Ryder, Koivu and Kovalev line could be a disaster for us (defense, not working hard enought), so I think the best scenario, is the first one(with Higgins on the first).

Looking at the line-up, I hope that we could make a trade ( A) Kovalev, B) Ryder) to shake things up and to have lines that make sens.

Ignore the happy face with glasses....

Not sure why it does that...

Guest Pro_Preferred

I'd like to see the lines as follows.

Ryder Koivu Higgins

Kostityn Plekanec Kovalev

Lattendresse Chipchurra Lapierre

Begin Smolinski Kostopolous

Markov - Streit

Hamrilik - Komisarek

Boullion - Dandenault

Huet

Halak

I;m not very optimistic this year as I feel our team has been stronger even the past few seasons. Gainey I'm mad enough you didn't trade Souray at the trade deadline last year, this year dont make the same mistake holding on to Huet and Kovalev, unless were still very much in contention. Ps. I cant see Locke cracking the line up.

Guest natey2k4

Janne Lahti - Saku Koivu - Alex Kovalev

Christopher Higgins - Tomas Plekanec - Andrei Kostitsyn

Guilluame Latendresse - Bryan Smolinski - Michael Ryder

Steve Begin - Maxim Lapierre - Tom Kostopolous

Garth Murray, Duncan Milroy

Andrei Markov - Mike Komisarek

Roman Hamrlik - Mark Streit

Patrice Brisebois - Francis Bouillon

Mathieu Dandenault

Cristobal Huet

Jaroslav Halak

Now that we have a full roster signed, I'll leave this open to hopefully clear up some of the Offseason Changes Thread. However, only make lines involving currently signed players, otherwise I'm sure it will just end up turning into a duplicate. Thanks.

Guest mike.hockeyguy

Mathieu Dandenault

Cristobal Huet

Jaroslav Halak

very good

Guest macpherson8

Mathieu Dandenault

Cristobal Huet

Jaroslav Halak

???

Lahti on the first line!??!?!

RYDER ON THE 3rd LINE!?!??!!?

are you crazy? switch those to and it looks good.....

???

Its an interesting thought. Dont forget that Teemu Selanne recently suggested Lahti was an NHL calibre first liner & should start the season on Koivu's wing. Now, Selanne isnt a coach, but it was a surprising comment. Perhaps Lahti was the steal of the summer, time will tell.

I think this year may see us using 3 offensive lines, in which case, who cares if its 1-2-3 - they all have gifted offensive players on them.

Should be interesting

Guest macpherson8

Ryder - Koivu - Kovalev

Kostitsyn - Plekanec - Higgins

Lahti - Smolinski - Latendresse

Begin - Lapierre - Kostopolous

(chipchura)

Markov - Komisarek

Hamrlik - O'Byrne

Brisebois - Dandenault/Bouillon

Price

Huet

Guest Habsfan_11

Lahti - Koivu - Ryder ---> Koivu and Ryder can play together. Why not see if Lahti and Koivu can show some finnish finesse to make the line more threatening?

Higgins - Plekanec - Kostitsyn ---> This line played well at the end of last year and I'd enjoy seeing more of them! All these players are fast, skilled, and hard workers.

Latendresse - Smolinski - Kovalev ---> I like what I saw last year when Kovalev and Latendresse were playing together. I think that Smolinski will bring some stability, both defensive and offensive, to this line.

Begin - Lapierre - Kostopolous ---> Energy, Energy, Energy!!! These guys will help to get the opposing players off of their game with physical play, aggression, and some yapping.

Extras:

Murray - If a 4th line player gets hurt or performs poorly for a certain period of time, Murray goes in.

Streit - If Lahti doesn't perform well, play Streit on the 3rd line with Smolinski and Kovalev and move Latendresse up to the 1st. (If Streit not playing defence.)

Grabovski - He'll eventually be worked into the lineup this year IMO.

Locke, Milroy, Ferland etc. - They will be called up when required.

Markov - Komisarek

Hamrlik - Bouillon

Dandenault - Streit

Extras:

Gorges, O'Byrne, Valentenko (unlikely to see ice time this year), Cote.

Huet

Halak

Extra:

Price - If Price is doing well in the AHL and neither of our two goalies on the big club are performing well, then Price will be playing NHL hockey.

Danis

Guest natey2k4
???

Ryder on his off wing makes that line much more of a defensive liability.

Lahti, from what I've understood, is a gritty, hard working player who is no slouch defensively. Hopefully he can bring some grit and stability to that line and let Kovalev dance around like always.

Selanne also praised Lahti and almost all the Finns that I've heard talk about Lahti have nothing but good things to say.

I'm more comfortable running three offensive lines than leaving Smolinski out to dry with a Lats and another rookie.

Guest Renko

Mathieu Dandenault

Cristobal Huet

Jaroslav Halak

Lahti on the 1st line...Koivu is tired of babysitting...

Guest Renko
Its an interesting thought. Dont forget that Teemu Selanne recently suggested Lahti was an NHL calibre first liner & should start the season on Koivu's wing. Now, Selanne isnt a coach, but it was a surprising comment. Perhaps Lahti was the steal of the summer, time will tell.

I think this year may see us using 3 offensive lines, in which case, who cares if its 1-2-3 - they all have gifted offensive players on them.

Should be interesting

Do you have a source? Id be very interested if Selanne is taking such a keen interest in what the habs are doing with their lines...

Guest Renko
Lahti on the 1st line...Koivu is tired of babysitting...

Sorry about this quote Natey...Didnt know Selanne said Lahti might be ready for that kind of jump. I still think of Lahti as a somewhat unproven European league player...

Guest macpherson8
Ryder on his off wing makes that line much more of a defensive liability.

Lahti, from what I've understood, is a gritty, hard working player who is no slouch defensively. Hopefully he can bring some grit and stability to that line and let Kovalev dance around like always.

Selanne also praised Lahti and almost all the Finns that I've heard talk about Lahti have nothing but good things to say.

I'm more comfortable running three offensive lines than leaving Smolinski out to dry with a Lats and another rookie.

leaving smolinski out to dry? hes a third line player, 3rd line players are 3rd line players for a reason.. they shut down the other teams big lines and get less ice time than the first to lines... because the first two line are better, having 3 average lines would just deprive out top players from getting on the ice as much as they should, this is why teams have a 1st, 2nd 3rd and 4th line not just 4 equal lines. The more that you put your top players on the ice the better you will do(to a certin point *cough cough tampa*). Imagin smolinski and ryder getting equal ice time either smolinski would get over played and make are offence worse than it already is, or Ryder wouldnt get enough ice time. Im not sure if you've watched smolinski this past year but he is slowing down, hes good for about 10 minutes maybe 15 each night so if you want to even out the lines I guess Ryder will only get to play 10-15 minutes and his production will go down alot.

Guest macpherson8

and as for the Lahti on the first line thing, sure Selanne said he could be a top line NHL player, but reality is he is unproven in the NHL so it would not be realistic to start him on the first line, maybe he will work his way whenh the season started but for now he should be on the 3rd line until Carbo sees how he preforms at this level on this team

Guest The Future is coming

Ryder-Koivu-Kovalev

Higgins- Plekanc-Smolinski

Kostopoulos-Begin-Latrendresse

Murray-Lappiere-Kostitsyn

Streit-Markov

Hamrlik-Bouillion

Kominsarek-Dandanault

Now whats going to happen with Josh Gorges :mellow:

Guest macpherson8
Ryder-Koivu-Kovalev

Higgins- Plekanc-Smolinski

Kostopoulos-Begin-Latrendresse

Murray-Lappiere-Kostitsyn

Streit-Markov

Hamrlik-Bouillion

Kominsarek-Dandanault

Now whats going to happen with Josh Gorges :mellow:

Gorges is not an NHL player, sure he has experience but id rather have O'Byrne or Valintinko in out top 6, maybe im bias but i really dont like Gorges :)

Guest future canadian
Lahti - Koivu - Ryder ---> Koivu and Ryder can play together. Why not see if Lahti and Koivu can show some finnish finesse to make the line more threatening?

Higgins - Plekanec - Kostitsyn ---> This line played well at the end of last year and I'd enjoy seeing more of them! All these players are fast, skilled, and hard workers.

Latendresse - Smolinski - Kovalev ---> I like what I saw last year when Kovalev and Latendresse were playing together. I think that Smolinski will bring some stability, both defensive and offensive, to this line.

Begin - Lapierre - Kostopolous ---> Energy, Energy, Energy!!! These guys will help to get the opposing players off of their game with physical play, aggression, and some yapping.

Extras:

Murray - If a 4th line player gets hurt or performs poorly for a certain period of time, Murray goes in.

Streit - If Lahti doesn't perform well, play Streit on the 3rd line with Smolinski and Kovalev and move Latendresse up to the 1st. (If Streit not playing defence.)

Grabovski - He'll eventually be worked into the lineup this year IMO.

Locke, Milroy, Ferland etc. - They will be called up when required.

Markov - Komisarek

Hamrlik - Bouillon

Dandenault - Streit

Extras:

Gorges, O'Byrne, Valentenko (unlikely to see ice time this year), Cote.

Huet

Halak

Extra:

Price - If Price is doing well in the AHL and neither of our two goalies on the big club are performing well, then Price will be playing NHL hockey.

Danis

Kovalev CANT play with lats. He has to play with koivu. At the begining of the year he was with koivu then second half with Lats.

Guest Greek Hab

Ryder - Koivu - Kovalev

Higgins - Plekanec - Kostitsyn

Streit - Smolinski - Latendresse

Bégin - Lapierre - Kostopoulos

*Lathi, Locke*

Markov - Komisarek

Hamrlik - Dandenault

Bouillon - Côté

*O'Byrne, Valentenko*

Huet

Halak

Guest HuetFan4Life

Lahti - Koivu - Kovalev

Streit - Smolinski - Ryder

Latendresse - Begin - Kostopolous (can he play center?)

Markov - Komisarek

Hamrlik - O' Byrne

PK Subban - Bouillon

Huet

Guest loic_lacasse

Ryder - Koivu - Latendresse

Lathi - Lapierre - Kovalev

Streit - Smolinski - Kostopoulos

Markov - Komisarek

Hamrlik - cote

Bouillon - Dandenault

Huet

Halak

Guest natey2k4
Sorry about this quote Natey...Didnt know Selanne said Lahti might be ready for that kind of jump. I still think of Lahti as a somewhat unproven European league player...

Well I agree he is a little unproven as far as production goes, it shouldn't change the style of player he is. He's a quick player, who loves to hit and be gritty, and is defensively capable. He's got first line potential as far as offense goes.. I'd stick him up there just for a few reasons;

a) see if Koivu CAN be elite with finnish players.. Koivu in the NHL is an average #1 Centre.. When playing for Finland, I'd be very hard-pressed to find a better #1 Centre. Maybe he just likes playing with home boys who have talent (I loved Juha Lind.. but he just wasn't big enough to play full time NHL hockey in the old NHL).

b.) Lahti has some good size and plays a bigger man's style of hockey. He's very good defensively, he's mean, and he can score the garbage goals.. which with Kovalev hitting so many posts, may help.

c) it gives Koivu a defensively responsible player on his line so he can worry more about getting Kovalev hot.

d) If Selanne is praising him, I'm not going to take him lightly. Aside from Selanne, most Finns I've seen have only had good things to say about him.

e) His name is almost as cool sounding as Juha Lind! lol

Archived