The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

The Greatest Goalie

cheeseman_mtl

Guest natey2k4

Georges Vezina.

Dryden and Plante became part of the leafs organization, yuck!

Roy became an idiot.

Tretiak never played as a Canadien.

I still like Bill Durnan.

I especially like the fact that he alone among goalies was ambidextrious, able to switch his stick from one hand to another, and catch with either hand. The only other player in the history of the NHL who was able to do this was Gordie Howe.

The only real knock I have on Durnan is that he waited so long before entering the NHL. I cannot help but think what his stats would have been if he had entered about age 20 or 21 instead of nearly age 30. But then, it was during the World War II era, so if he had been playing before 1943-44, he probably would have been in the service. And who knows what would have happened there.

Patrick Roy

Most NHL wins, 4 time stanley cup winner, 3 Conn Smythe winner, 1987-88: Patrick gets elected to the NHL Second All Star Team and shares the Jennings with Hayward for a second time,1988-89: Patrick takes the Canadiens to the Stanley Cup finals, but loses to the Calgary Flames. He also collects his first Vezina and third Jennings with Hayward,

Roy powns All

Guest Steckle
Patrick Roy

Most NHL wins, 4 time stanley cup winner, 3 Conn Smythe winner, 1987-88: Patrick gets elected to the NHL Second All Star Team and shares the Jennings with Hayward for a second time,1988-89: Patrick takes the Canadiens to the Stanley Cup finals, but loses to the Calgary Flames. He also collects his first Vezina and third Jennings with Hayward,

Roy powns All

I say Plante even though i never saw him play just becasue of all he did for the game (the mask) along with his abiltyand i never liked Roy mainly because of the way he left the organization he seemed abit of a hot head i know he had problems with managment and he was left in against detroit that night but oter gaolies have had to go through nights like that so i dont see why he had to get so mad that he would never play in mtl again i understand mad but he was really pissed

Guest P.Royfan
I say Plante even though i never saw him play just becasue of all he did for the game (the mask) along with his abiltyand i never liked Roy mainly because of the way he left the organization he seemed abit of a hot head i know he had problems with managment and he was left in against detroit that night but oter gaolies have had to go through nights like that so i dont see why he had to get so mad that he would never play in mtl again i understand mad but he was really pissed

He had nights like that night too after he left Montreal the reason he got so mad wasn't the fact that he was left in there for so long it was the fact he was left in there to be embarrassed by Trembley. Big difference.

Guest Koivu Fan

Id say Dryden i guess, but with a disclaimer. I think Roy is overrated. He was obviously good, but, you can get lots of wins when you play on good teams. For the most part the Avs were good because of Sakic, Forsberg, Blake, Tanguay, Hejduk...etc, not because of Roy. Roy did what he needed to get the wins obviously, but he wasnt exactly dominant the way a Brodeur is. You take Marty off NJ and they will be terrible. You take Roy away from Colorado in '98 and they would be alright, it would hurt, but he was replacable. The year after Roy retired, the Avs still did really well.

Im not saying Roy sucked, because he was obviously one of the best goalies, if not the best, of his generation. I just think other goalies go out and dominate and carry their team, while Roy only really did that in the playoffs. To me, Brodeur is hands down the best ever.

Guest Steckle
He had nights like that night too after he left Montreal the reason he got so mad wasn't the fact that he was left in there for so long it was the fact he was left in there to be embarrassed by Trembley. Big difference.

other goalies though got embarassed the same way just look atthe philly game last year i forget who was in goal but he didnt get up and leave the team and lets face Roy does get angry more easily then other kust look at how he was almost charged for beating up a guy after a quebec ramparts game and Roy was embaressed becasue he was left in by the coach which is basically the same thing

Guest cheeseman

No thoughts on Tretiak? Truly great for Soviet Union! If he'd have been allowed to play in North America, or even defected, he'd have to be considered an all time great. Very sad the way Roy left MTL. A hot head, yes, but a great Hab.

cheeseman

To me Jacques Plante hands down for best Habs goalie. Forget the mask, first goalie to play the puck regularly and aggressively, 7 Vezina's, all those Stanley cups and done almost entirely in a 6 team league by a guy who fought asthma.

Honorable mention to Bill Durnan and for non habs Bernie Parent.

Dryden, ehh, h was my hero as a kid, but in retrospect the teams he was on were some of the best teams in hockey history. I'm sure many other goalies of the era could have starred as the Habs starter. To me where Dryden really shined, he could go 15 minutes without a shot and still be sharp on a breakaway.

Tretiak, he was phenomenal in the '72 series, but who here saw the guy play more than a dozen times? Pretty hard to judge, and again, he had a great team in front of him.

Patrick Roy, no arguing he was a great goalie. But I just can't get past his attitude, that and the fact he was one of the worst puck handlers I can remember and he was prone to a few stupid gaffes every season brought on by his attitude (I'll never forget him as an Av flashing the puck and dropping it in to the net...one of the all time stupid moves). Still tough to argue his stats.

Guest Dinesen369

As great as some of these modern goalies are....Roy, Brodeur et al... I can't help but wonder about the win totals of Jacques Plante and the other greats of those days had they played 82 game schedules !!! ;)

Guest 1970 Habs
Id say Dryden i guess, but with a disclaimer. I think Roy is overrated. He was obviously good, but, you can get lots of wins when you play on good teams. For the most part the Avs were good because of Sakic, Forsberg, Blake, Tanguay, Hejduk...etc, not because of Roy. Roy did what he needed to get the wins obviously, but he wasnt exactly dominant the way a Brodeur is. You take Marty off NJ and they will be terrible. You take Roy away from Colorado in '98 and they would be alright, it would hurt, but he was replacable. The year after Roy retired, the Avs still did really well.

Im not saying Roy sucked, because he was obviously one of the best goalies, if not the best, of his generation. I just think other goalies go out and dominate and carry their team, while Roy only really did that in the playoffs. To me, Brodeur is hands down the best ever.

Dryden may have carried the team in 1971 but in the mid seventies he had a dynasty of players around him.

Brodeur has had strong defensive teams around him for years.

In fact most of the top goalies in the NHL have had great team mates around them.

Roy has the dubious distinction of stepping his game up another notch in the playoffs; he won two Stanley Cups in Montreal on average teams and is the only goalie I know of to win three Conn Smyth Trophies. I do not believe the Avs won the Cup after Roy left. I do know that Montreal hasn't.

Guest 29Dryden29

I say Dryden followed closely by Tretiak and then Roy all by the narrowest of margins. You just can't argue with the final game of the 72 summit series and the 6 cups in 8 seasons and winning the Con Smyth before going on to win the Calder the next season.

Guest Eazy_Ryder

Yes he did have a good team in colarodo but there was nothing special about the Canadiens in 93-94 ....if you insert other goalies on that team we don't win the cup..... ;)

Guest Miltie01
Yes he did have a good team in colarodo but there was nothing special about the Canadiens in 93-94 ....if you insert other goalies on that team we don't win the cup..... ;)

Dryden would have won it in 93 if you switched him for Patrick.

Guest Eazy_Ryder
Dryden would have won it in 93 if you switched him for Patrick.

I agree he might have been able to but Roy I feel was the best goalie under pressure but the main point I am trying to get across was he did not always have a stacked team in front of him.

For me the best goalie ever was Patrick Roy. He isn't the all time win leader in net for nothing.

Apples and oranges. Roy played in 82 game seasons, the pre expansion greats played in 50 game seasons. Ballpark would mean Patrick played at least 20 games (eligible for 32 more per year)a year more per season than Plante, Durnan, Hainsworth, etc. That works out to being eligible to play between 400-640 more games in a 20 year career. Hardly a fair comparison IMHO.

If we're talking about non Habs goalies, lest we forget Terry Sawchuck, Turk Broda, MARTIN BRODEUR (who will likely own ALL goalie records when he retires), Bernie Parent (but for an eye injury, Roy may have been chasing him), Glenn Hall, Tony Esposito (a Hab for his first 13 games), Dom Hasek (not one of my faves), Johnny Bower & even possibly Pele Lindbergh (tragically killed in a car accident at 26 after his first Vezina).

It really is tough (maybe even impossible) picking a definitive best when there have been so many greats over the years

Guest Habsters
To me Jacques Plante hands down for best Habs goalie. Forget the mask, first goalie to play the puck regularly and aggressively, 7 Vezina's, all those Stanley cups and done almost entirely in a 6 team league by a guy who fought asthma.

Honorable mention to Bill Durnan and for non habs Bernie Parent.

Dryden, ehh, h was my hero as a kid, but in retrospect the teams he was on were some of the best teams in hockey history. I'm sure many other goalies of the era could have starred as the Habs starter. To me where Dryden really shined, he could go 15 minutes without a shot and still be sharp on a breakaway.

Tretiak, he was phenomenal in the '72 series, but who here saw the guy play more than a dozen times? Pretty hard to judge, and again, he had a great team in front of him.

Patrick Roy, no arguing he was a great goalie. But I just can't get past his attitude, that and the fact he was one of the worst puck handlers I can remember and he was prone to a few stupid gaffes every season brought on by his attitude (I'll never forget him as an Av flashing the puck and dropping it in to the net...one of the all time stupid moves). Still tough to argue his stats.

Well said, for me it's Dryden that said Roy was good but the difference for me is that Roy was a master at bending the rules such as wearing oversized equipment so he would be larger in net, look at Dryden he never changed his equipment to appear larger like Roy did also Dryden was never the egomaniac Roy was.

Guest paul_b
Well said, for me it's Dryden that said Roy was good but the difference for me is that Roy was a master at bending the rules such as wearing oversized equipment so he would be larger in net, look at Dryden he never changed his equipment to appear larger like Roy did also Dryden was never the egomaniac Roy was.

Gotta be ROY!!

Archived