The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Enforcer..

lesfoldi

Guest lesfoldi

Does anyone else wish gainy would get a bonified enforcer.....who has enough skills to stay in the line up......It bugs me that we are so soft.....i guess we got murray...who will drop the gloves but besides that....no one.....when souray was here ...i guess he was somewhat of an enforcer...but even he shouldnt fight....langdon? loved him....downey? loved him to...but they couldnt play for beans, but were loved by all.......does this bug anyone else.......i miss the rough habs with corson, odeline, nilan..

Guest lesfoldi

i dont know much about Kostopoulos but....

Komisarek? lol....big guy...but dont think he can fight...i've never seen it..he will get rough...doesnt like to drop them

Boullion...this guy can go...for sure...enforcer? not even close

Murray...will drop them

Begin...lol...i have seen him turn down to many offers from people who wanted him to fight.....not a fighter

Lats (yes he will drop the gloves)....strong as nails...lots of energy....bugs his opponents...just not an enforcer

just my opinion

i dont know much about Kostopoulos but....

Komisarek? lol....big guy...but dont think he can fight...i've never seen it..he will get rough...doesnt like to drop them

Boullion...this guy can go...for sure...enforcer? not even close

Murray...will drop them

Begin...lol...i have seen him turn down to many offers from people who wanted him to fight.....not a fighter

Lats (yes he will drop the gloves)....strong as nails...lots of energy....bugs his opponents...just not an enforcer

just my opinion

enforcers are going the way of the dodo also an Enforcer is there to make sure the other team doesn't take advantage of one of his teammates (2nd link is a perfect example)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2xAnR1ntAMM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JEdbAyPNUTY&amp...ted&search=

edit: he even fought Brashear and he is one of the toughest guys in the NHL

enforcers are going the way of the dodo also an Enforcer is there to make sure the other team doesn't take advantage of one of his teammates (2nd link is a perfect example)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2xAnR1ntAMM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JEdbAyPNUTY&amp...ted&search=

I second that statement that Enforcers are a thing of the past. There just isn't enough room with the cap and the penalization to fit players whose sole purpose is to fight.

What we should be seeing more of is big 'enforcer' types with hands and some other sort of upside. A good example would be Georges Laraques, who has a decent pair of hands for someone his size.

Edit: And look at what Komi did in those two movies. Somneone got too close to Huet, and looked who stepped up to punish them :) No Enforcers? I think not!

Guest Bud2790

Komisarek will drop the gloves when needed...2 examples were given and there is also last year vs the Sens in one game...He harassed Neil all game and then dropped the gloved vs him!

Guest lesfoldi

lol....maybe i phrased it wrong...what i was trying to say was....i wish we had someone like langdon or downey....but who could actually play the game......my ideal would be a player like corson back in the day...or odelien(however you spell it)....i guess i wish the nhl wasnt trying to take fighting out....to me its what makes a hockey game..

Guest jennifer_rocket

I think we can play a decently tough game with some of our guys. Most important is how our young guys will respond to the game on the NHL level. Gainey is drafting a particular way and he seems to be getting great gritty, two-way guys. It'll also be nice to see how guys like Higgins, Latendresse, and Kostitsyn respond to physical play this year. I think these three guys will be expected to step up a little and play a more important role. Lets see them also play a grittier game, huh!?

Komisarek will drop the gloves when needed...2 examples were given and there is also last year vs the Sens in one game...He harassed Neil all game and then dropped the gloved vs him!

But the thing is, we can't let him fight. We need him on the ice, not in the sin bin for 5 minutes.

Guest Maniaque

No enforcers. People with an attitude like Souray is what we need. Despite what some people now think about him, he was extremely loyal and never hesitated before dropping the gloves. And could he play! (well sorta, you know what I mean).

We do need someone that other teams fear. We can save ourselves the need to avenge, if they dont have the guts to do anything. Komisarek is a tough one, but he's too pretty! Rivet rarely fought, but he was a very scary man, not the type you want to get mad at you. Only idiots like Neil would dare to do anything when Rivet is around.

Guest lesfoldi
No enforcers. People with an attitude like Souray is what we need. Despite what some people now think about him, he was extremely loyal and never hesitated before dropping the gloves. And could he play! (well sorta, you know what I mean).

We do need someone that other teams fear. We can save ourselves the need to avenge, if they dont have the guts to do anything. Komisarek is a tough one, but he's too pretty! Rivet rarely fought, but he was a very scary man, not the type you want to get mad at you. Only idiots like Neil would dare to do anything when Rivet is around.

i agree.....the souray attitude is what we need...(minus the cross check when he gets mad) but people did watch what they did when he was on the ice.................i can honestly say there is not one person on the bench that the other team would fear.....and to me....thats when we get walked on.

I second that statement that Enforcers are a thing of the past. There just isn't enough room with the cap and the penalization to fit players whose sole purpose is to fight.

What we should be seeing more of is big 'enforcer' types with hands and some other sort of upside. A good example would be Georges Laraques, who has a decent pair of hands for someone his size.

Edit: And look at what Komi did in those two movies. Somneone got too close to Huet, and looked who stepped up to punish them :) No Enforcers? I think not!

I disagree. I hate loosing a guy like Komisarek for at least 5 minutes instead of a Donald Brashear. We missed Souray in a few occasions last year because he had to drop the gloves. Because someone can doesn't mean that he should. If Komisarek drops the gloves against Laraque, which team is the most penalized? ;)

lol....maybe i phrased it wrong...what i was trying to say was....i wish we had someone like langdon or downey....but who could actually play the game......my ideal would be a player like corson back in the day...or odelien(however you spell it)....i guess i wish the nhl wasnt trying to take fighting out....to me its what makes a hockey game..

We don't have a heavy-weight, but Kostopoulos is our Downey... just a bit more talented hockey-wise.

As for the fighting in the NHL, there's a thread in the section Around the league to discuss.

I disagree. I hate loosing a guy like Komisarek for at least 5 minutes instead of a Donald Brashear. We missed Souray in a few occasions last year because he had to drop the gloves. Because someone can doesn't mean that he should. If Komisarek drops the gloves against Laraque, which team is the most penalized? ;)

The thing is you don't see Komisarek drop the gloves very often because he puts the other player in his place with one of those big hits he throws. Komisarek has leveled quite a few people and most of them are in the same mentality of Tucker. All talk but no action.

i agree with huetfan4life finding an enforcer that has some hockey skill is a hard thing to do, Laraque, as much as we want to label him as just a goon he had 24 points last season, 22 while with Phoenix and he was a +7 on a very poor team. Thats not too shabby at all. Kostopoulos had 22 points while playing for LA (another very poor team).

Tom may not have the size of a Laraque or a Brashear but he falls in the same group, a guy who can fight, patrol the ice and make sure no one takes a run at the goalie and he can score and make a few plays too.

Guest f30marco
Man, I wish we still had Odjick.. remember the fight against Stock? Classic moment right there haha, I'll never forget that.

that was the best!!!! i laughed for days after that! :D

Archived