The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Media Rankings/previews/predictions - 2007-2008

Guest Kovy-27

Guest Kovy-27

Because this is about the time of year that rankings/predictions/previews start coming out, ive changed the topic of your thread to include ALL media rankings. Lets use this spot to discuss any predictions/rankings etc for the upcoming season. Thanks.

Jedimaas

Here's this year projections from the Hockey News for the players of the Montreal Canadiens and some quick few lines of what the magazine thinks of the player,I will also give my personal opinion for each player,enjoy!

Team

2007-2008 Montreal Canadiens

Eastern Conference Ranking:11th (Expect to miss the playoffs again!)

Cup futility streak sure to hit 14 years!

The NHL's all-time winnigest franchise is in the midst of a slump.It has been 13 seasons since the Canadiens last won the Stanley Cup,tryin their longest stretch without a championship (1931-43).Barrin an unforseen miracle in 2007-08,they will set the franchise mark for futility this year.After blowing a 2-0 lead in the opening round of the '06 playoffs,the Habs did one better last season.They failed to reach the playoffs by losing in the final game of the regular season against rival Toronto Maple Leafs.To make matter worse veterans Alexei Kovalev and Sergei Samsonov - who has since been traded to Chicago - were distractions for all the wrong reasons.Given their recent struggles,it's time for Montreal to start the process of rebuilding a winner.In Carey Price,the Habs have an ideal building block between the pipes.Seen as a potential franchise goalie.Price lead Canada to WJC gold last year and later helped the AHL's Hamilton Buldogs win the Calder Cup.He's only 20 and the Habs have a history of taking their time with prospects,but Price may be too good to keep down on the farm.Therefore,expect either Cristobal Huet or Jaroslav Halak to be traded at some point this season to clear way for price.

Players

1)Saku Koivu-70 points

Career highs across the board for Koivu,at the age of 32.That used to be unheard of,but not so much anymore.A great power play helped,but don't expect career highs.

(I think he's going to get another career high,I expect to see him around 78 points this year.)

2)Michael Ryder-60 points

He might not get a goal for a couple of weeks,then carry the team for the next couple.The only consistency you can expect is 30 goals at the end of it all,which is good enough.

(I think that they got his projection right on spot.)

3)Chris Higgins-55 points

Higgins had a hot start,picking up where he left off the season before,but then he got injured and that was that.Look for a healthy but not outrageous improvement.

(Should get around the 60 points mark imo.)

4)Tomas Plekanec-53 points

Some nice progress by Plekaned last season.His versatility allows him to play on a scoring line or to score on a checking line.Some offensive upside,but nothing too spectacular.

(I hope he gets around those numbers but he might get 60 points too because he really showed his talent to the world at the World Tournament.)

5)Alexei Kovalev-51 points

Save the headache medication.The talented Kovalev doesn't produce like you think he should and for all his years in the NHL,he has only had a couple very good seasons.

(51 points is what we should expect from him after last years bad season but I'm one of the very few who still have hope in Kovy,alot of people might not agree with me on this but I think that he's going to get 65 points this season.)

6)Bryan Smolinski-45 points

It's pretty simple with Smolinski.He fits in anywhere,plays almost every game,scores around 20 goals and gets around 25 assists.A decline is imminent,but not quite yet.

(Should get around 40-50 points this season,the good thing with Smolinski is that we always know what we get with him.)

7)Andrei Markov-44 points

One of the point men on Montreal's league-leading power play season,Markov had 32 of 49 points with the extra man.No reason to expect any less this year.

(I think he's going to get 50 points but 44 points isn't that bad.)

8)Mark Streit-41 points

He's no Sheldon Souray,but Streit can handle himself in the offensive end.He will also take some of the Souray power play time and continue to put up good numbers.

(He should get around 40 points.)

9)Guillaume Latendresse-40 points

A nice start for Latendresse and there will be more improvement the year.He's not likely to be a big point producer,though,because,he's a goal-scorer,not a playmaker.

(I think he's going to get around 35 points but it all depend of the line he's going to play.)

10)Roman Hamrlik-36 points

No surprises left from Hamrlik,who is one game shy of 1000.He'll score between seven and 10 goals,get some time on the power plays and end up between 30 and 40 points.

(Should get around that mark...)

11)Andrei Kostitsyn-29 points

Kostitsyn is ready for full-time employment in the NHL.It's unlikely to be on a scoring line,however,because he hasn't shown much scoring prowess,even in the minors.

(If there's one man that could surprise us this season,it's him...I think that the 30 point mark for Kostityn is possible but I wouldn't be surprise if he ends up with 50 points.)

Goalies

1)Cristobal Huet-26 Wins- .912 SP- 2.61 GAA- 2 SO

Although he'll be listed as the no.1 goalie in Montreal.He won't be playing more than 60 games after Jaroslav Halak played so well in relief when he was injured last season.

(The goalies situation could go at any way in Montreal but I've got one thing to say...Huet is a very underrated goalie.)

2)Jaroslav Halak-14 Wins- .906 SP- 2.89 GAA- 2 SO

Halak did a nice job when called up to replace an injured Cristobal Huet,but he'll still be considered a backup this season.The Canadiens will use him more then a normal backup.

(Love Halak but It's strange that he has the same stats of this years season for his projection of the 2007-2008 season but I do bealive that he's going to get more then 2 SO.)

Top 5 Prospects

1)Carey Price

2)Ryan McDonagh

3)Andrei Kostitsyn

4)Mikhail Grabosky

5)Max Pacioretty

Hope you enjoyed!

Wow ranked 11th in the east? As long as we don't get hit by another flu bug this year we should make the playoffs in about the 7th spot I'm guessing. And where are the Leafs ranked in this? They better be below us!!! lol

Guest lfrommtl

Look in all seriousness someone please tell me how are we better then last year?

im still looking for it.

we dont have a great team. we're mediocre, good at best you look at this team

and who's our best player...

Saku.

HE WOULDNT BE A FIRST LINE CENTERMAN ON ANY OTHER CONTENDING TEAM.

then who we got?

kovalev.

when he shows up he's awesome unfortunately politicians are honest more often then this guy plays a decent game.

On defence?

Markov.

i got nothing bad to say about him, except that he can get careless sometimes.

Hamrlick.

from what ive heard from flames fans this guy is BRUTAL in the transition game. better then souray but still.

then in nets.

huet is iffy. you dont know what you'll get and halak is to young

im not discounting the kids but they cant do it alone i mean look at komi he's playing with markov and its working out superbly. eeryone else not so much look at ottawa when they paired spezza with alfie he lit it up in his second season.

we had plekanec playing with begin.

nuff said

i dont know. if we're out of it come deadline firesale.

im still upset we didnt trade souray last year

and on a more optimistic note.

go habs go

god i hope im wrong

Wow ranked 11th in the east? As long as we don't get hit by another flu bug this year we should make the playoffs in about the 7th spot I'm guessing. And where are the Leafs ranked in this? They better be below us!!! lol

The Leafs added a goalie and a 25 to 30 goal scorer ( Blake ) . On paper they should be better than last year

You can look at every team last yr and make a simliar excuse

If Sundin , Tucker and Wellwood, don't go down with injuries If Carolina doesn't suck etc etc

Good teams fight their way through adversity

Guest Kovy-27

The leafs are ranked 8th...they where below us last year but they managed to beat us.I hate the leafs too but even I got to admit that they look stronger then us,if we want to make the playoff's and be better then the leafs then imo we need another star player,I can still hope for Selanne...

Guest xHABSFAN19x

"good teams fight their way though adversities"

good quote and proves that our habs are not a good team, we had a flu bug and we didn't fight through it we floundered and it killed us.

We are not a playoff team and we are not a better team than we were last year, im going to go out and say we could be worse than last year and we could finish worse than 11th place.

I love the habs dont get me wrong but every other team in the northeast has gotten better

1. Bruins were a good team last year but didn't have the goaltending to back them up add Many Fernandez to that team and it's playoff time in Boston again

2. Sens, lost Shafer added Donovan and other than that same team, Still defending eastern conference Champs

3. Maple leafs, Added a great tendy tandem and added Jason Blake, this is a team that missed the playoffs by 2 games this year they wont miss.

4. Canadiens. We know the deal. not much offense last season, not much added for this season, Weak D, and inconstant goaltending in a goalie that shouldn't be a starter and drops way to early.

5. Buffalo, Lost what they had last season, returning is Vanek, and Kotalik, and Miller in net, don't see them being what they were the last two years...

Guest stevesaku

game aint played on paper. we have heard that a million times but its the truth.

if the habs work every game and play with heart then they should make the playoffs.

Guest - Tonio -

It is VERY hard to predict things, really the only way they can predict things is by numbers and trends. We were going for 4th place in the east last season, nobody expected the flu bug, or Huet getting injured. Im HOPING we can see a more consistent effort from the boys this season, if they play 60 minute games, we will make the playoffs.

Guest - Tonio -
lol...........How many times did we log into a " Game Thread " to read how disappointed people were for the lack of effort in the 1st period

lol oh trust me, its a big IF. I dont expect them to play full out EVERY game, but it seemed every game last year was 40 minutes.

Guest Koivu Fan
The Leafs added a goalie and a 25 to 30 goal scorer ( Blake ) . On paper they should be better than last year

You can look at every team last yr and make a simliar excuse

If Sundin , Tucker and Wellwood, don't go down with injuries If Carolina doesn't suck etc etc

Good teams fight their way through adversity

When will people realize the leafs also lost one of the best defencive forwards in the NHL in Peca, the best faceoff guy in the league and 20-25 goal scoring Yanic Perrault and a 20-25 goal scorer (Oneill). Toskala isnt a proven starter at all yet. He played well in San Jose, but they had a much better team around him. He has never played a full season as starter, so how do you know he wont tired out near the end of the season? In my eyes, losing 40-50 goals in 2 players and replacing it with Blakes 25-30 and Mark Bell's 10-15 (although he seems to score 20 every 2nd season) the Leafs arent even breaking even.

Here is the thing people need to learn. Just because you make offseason changes does not mean you are instantly a better team. Really, Sundin goes down, they would finish last in the East probably. He outscored their next top scoring forward last season by over 30 points. Koivu only beat Ryder by 18. At least we have SOME depth.

As for us, we arent really better than last year, but I also dont think we are worse. I know we didnt have a strong finish, but am i the only one that remembers the first half of the year? We were dominating. Im not making excuses, but if we can have a 3rd strong start in 3 years and find a way to keep it going through january, we will be in the playoffs for sure.

Is it this time of the season already? Wow, summer flew by.

Media predicts that the Habs miss the playoffs.

Fans on message boards get angry and moan about how the Habs are underrated by the media.

The Habs miss the playoffs.

Fun times.

Guest matt_the_fan

Fans on message boards get angry and moan about how the Habs are underrated by the media.

Fun times.

Heheh, classic optimist fans.

I'm a pessimist.

We finish the season 1-81-0

2 points.

Then, we draft Tavares, but he gets killed by a druggy.

And the story goes on.

Guest matt_the_fan

Fun times.

Heheh, classic optimist fans.

I'm a pessimist.

We finish the season 1-81-0

2 points.

Then, we draft Tavares, but he gets killed by a druggy.

And the story goes on.

You have to take what the media says with a grain of salt. How on earth do they know more than we do about what is going to happen next year? They don't. No one does. Sports Illustrated predicted that the detroit lions will win their division this year........right....It's all just for fun and to arouse the audience. SI and ESPN etc are all just like Eklund, except they get paid a lot more to do a lot more speculation.

It will all come down to effort and playing 60 minutes. If we do it, we make the playoffs. If we don't, we won't. Seeing the CH in the post season is not dependent on adding a Jason Blake or losing a Sheldon Souray. A team needs to fire together, and the right combination of leadership, coaching, and work ethic will yield good results. A fiasco like last year will not. We have no way to know which to expect.

The only thing we can say is that a poor season will be less surprising, based on the results of last year. But on the other hand, a good year will be even that much more sweet. Either way, it'll be fun, because the chances of us being so far out of it that the games mean nothing are quite slim. So we'll contend, and it'll be exciting for everyone.

And that's all I care about.

Guest CanadianMike

From the hockey news:

Koivu 77 20 50 70

Ryder 81 30 30 60

Higgins 78 30 25 55

Pleks 78 22 31 53

Kovy 74 20 31 51

Smoke 80 20 25 45

Markov 75 10 34 44

Streit 79 11 30 41

Lats 80 22 18 40

Hammer 78 8 28 36

Kost 72 14 15 29

Kostop. 76 8 14 22

Lahti 73 9 12 21

Begin 73 10 10 20

Bouillon 70 4 15 19

Dandy 75 2 13 15

From the hockey news:

Koivu 77 20 50 70

Ryder 81 30 30 60

Higgins 78 30 25 55

Pleks 78 22 31 53

Kovy 74 20 31 51

Smoke 80 20 25 45

Markov 75 10 34 44

Streit 79 11 30 41

Lats 80 22 18 40

Hammer 78 8 28 36

Kost 72 14 15 29

Kostop. 76 8 14 22

Lahti 73 9 12 21

Begin 73 10 10 20

Bouillon 70 4 15 19

Dandy 75 2 13 15

No offense to you - this is strictly a knock on the hockey news - but how the hell could they know that Koivu will miss 5 games or higgins will miss 4 or Markov will miss 7 - Based strictly on the fact that this prediction seems entirely fabricated, I cannot take any of the rest of it seriously.

Guest CanadianMike

From Hockey LE MAGAZINE

Koivu 79 21 51 72

Ryder 82 30 27 57

Kovy 72 19 32 51

Markov 75 7 42 49

Smoke 82 18 27 45

Pleks 78 18 26 44

Kost 70 12 31 43

Lats 80 17 22 39

Higgins 65 22 16 38 :angry::(

Hammer 70 7 29 36

Streit 70 8 23 31

Kostop. 76 7 15 22

Lapierre 66 6 8 14

From the 10 "experts" this is where they think Montreal will stand at the end of the season:

7th

8th (2 experts picked)

9th (2 experts picked)

10th

11th

12th

13th

14th

:unsure:

Guest CanadianMike
No offense to you - this is strictly a knock on the hockey news - but how the hell could they know that Koivu will miss 5 games or higgins will miss 4 or Markov will miss 7 - Based strictly on the fact that this prediction seems entirely fabricated, I cannot take any of the rest of it seriously.

don't SHOOT the messenger! :P

Typical Hockey News projections, and from what ive learned over the years, reading several of these projections every year, it always turns out differentlly. So many things can happen in a season.

Fun times.

yup it's that time of the year again the optimist VS the pessimist's . Who will win this years battle royal?

I have to agree with Dutch, alot can happen during the season. I remember before last season some "experts" had the Hurricanes picked to repeat. and we all know how well that panned out.

Guest HAB1992

I think that as usual we will scrape into the playoffs and make it into the 2nd round.

In 2008-09 we will resemble Buffalo of 2 years ago, and make a nice post-season run.

The lure of a young fast exciting hockey team mixed with some quality veterans will attract some nice UFA's.

I think we can realistically have a shot for the cup in 2010-2011, and if not expect much like Buffalo expexct us to lose our rising stars to expensive salary demands.

Archived