The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

39 Cristobal Huet 06-07

jl-1

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest habs_fan1160
Huet got screwed by the NHL All-Star staff I mean Kolzig and Raycroft are better than Huet? It's not fair!

He really did, I wonder where they chose the people that go on the ballot's, if it's in T.O or the USA.

Huet got screwed by the NHL All-Star staff I mean Kolzig and Raycroft are better than Huet? It's not fair!

Yeah I just don't get that one. But the only explanation I can think of was that these decisions were already made behind the scenes earlier in the season, when Raycroft was on a streak (before his injury) and Huet hadn't turned on the magic stick yet...

It's not about being better

Read this article

http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/Hockey/20...560831-sun.html

Habs goalie a quiet star

MONTREAL -- All conversations about Cristobal Huet contain the words, calm, cool or quiet.

Calm may be the defining characteristic of the Montreal Canadiens goaltender, who has crept almost unnoticed into the NHL's top spot in goals-against average (1.93) and save percentage (.940) with a brilliant November.

"He's very calm, very cool," defenceman Craig Rivet said yesterday. "It always seems like he's never putting much effort into anything.

"It almost seems like he's lackadaisical on the ice. But that's why he's so effective. Because he's calm."

Huet has allowed only eight goals in his past six starts, all wins, and the latest may have been the best -- a 36-save shutout of the Florida Panthers in a 1-0 shootout win on Tuesday.

The Canadiens practice went quiet yesterday after Huet, who looked to be hit on the thumb or the arm with a shot, went down in pain. But he got up and finished the practice.

And while he was unavailable for interviews afterwards, coach Guy Carbonneau said he would start tonight in Carolina, where he shut out the Hurricanes 4-0 on Nov. 2.

Huet is 9-2-2 this season and looks to have rediscovered his form from last year, when he returned from off-season knee surgery in December to go 18-11-1 with seven shutouts. The French goaltender also led the league last season with a .929 save percentage.

But so low-key is Huet, he's not even on the ballot for the fan voting for the NHL all-star game.

He had a so-so training camp and had an inconclusive 2-1-2 start to the season, when backup David Aebischer looked poised to take over the starting job.

The NHL felt it couldn't put a goalie on ballot who wasn't sure to be a starter, but may have passed up one of the best in the conference.

And since Huet's shutout in Carolina, he's become the clear No. 1. Aebischer has lost his past three starts.

Guest Huet#39

The Canadiens practice went quiet on Wednesday after Huet, who looked to be hit on the thumb or the arm with a shot, went down in pain. But he got up and finished the practice.

He seems to be fine cause he's still playing against Carolina and there was not really a big deal about it.

Stubbs's Bleu, Blogue, Rouge: Keep Huet OFF the all-star team

Posted by Dave Stubbs @ 7:32 PM

In the wave of indignation about this ballot-box humiliation, let me swim against the current to say that the best thing for the Canadiens is that their ace goaltender Cristobal Huet is not on the ballot for January's NHL All-Star Game in Dallas.

Because if he were, he'd be booking his travel now.

OK, for those of you saying "Huh?", or suggesting that I'm a traitor, cruel to animals, a cross-dresser, or worse – no, I am NOT a Maple Leafs fan – let me put a little flesh on the bones of this statement:

Cristobal Huet

Courtesy Montreal Canadiens/canadiens.com

First, some background: Huet is not likely going to be taking part in the All-Star Game because he's not on the digital ballot, and he won't get the votes he needs by write-in. (I've yet to see my write-ins for former Canadien Gump Worsley, a six-time All-Star Game participant en route to the Hall of Fame) turn up on the voting totals.) But trust me: this is a good thing.

Let's get another thing straight: Huet is not of all-star quality this year. He's all-universe. Heading into Wednesday night's games, he led all NHL goaltenders with his .940 save percentage, and his 1.93 goals-against average. I mean, those are the numbers Georges Vézina was turning in, when the Canadiens would yield, oh, four shots per game early last century.

The election process is flawed, of course. For 19 years, the teams for this annual "classic" have been chosen by fan voting, which makes it pretty much a ballot-box-stuffing contest. It's not unlike the lengths to which some teams go near season's-end with video highlight packages, mailings, emailings and the like to influence voters who will decide a few major individual trophies.

Of the eight goalies on the Eastern Conference all-star ballot, the nearest to Huet in save percentage is Washington's Olaf Kolzig, with .918, and the closest in average is New Jersey Devils' Martin Brodeur, at 2.38. Light years behind, in other words.

No contest. Based on numbers, Huet is headed to Dallas. But the All-Star Game isn't based on numbers. It's a beauty contest, and right now, Huet would be Miss Congeniality – that is, if he missed anything at all.

Yes, Huet deserves high praise for his work. But the All-Star Game isn't the place to start. I say Canadiens fans should start a campaign to keep Huet off the team, and if you check the schedule, you might agree.

Montreal plays 15 games in February – more in that month than in any other this season, and February, as your grade-school teacher taught you, is the calendar's shortest month. It's a decent split, with eight matches at home and seven on the road, with two back-to-backs: home to Florida then in New Jersey Feb. 13 and 14, then home to Toronto and in New York Feb. 26 and 27

In two of the weeks that month, the Canadiens play four games. In one stretch, they play seven times in 11 nights.

There's no guarantee that David Aebischer will be firing on all cylinders at that time (nor Huet, for that matter). There's no guarantee that Aebischer will even be in Montreal.

So here's the question, admittedly one I've slanted just a bit:

Would you rather have Cristobal Huet play maybe 20 minutes in a meaningless all-star contest, the no-contact shooting gallery where he'll see more rubber than a tire-changer after the first snowfall, or would you rather he have four or five days' vacation before the stretch run to the playoffs, and come back recharged, refreshed and ready for the final 33 games of the regular season, or as many of them as coach Guy Carbonneau will send him out to play?

Enjoy your time off, Cristo, I'm off to cast more ballots for Gump Worsley, and hope your fans are doing likewise. You're an all-star in Montreal, if not the global ballot box, and that's more important to your club any day.

i think the guy is right

Stubbs's Bleu, Blogue, Rouge: Keep Huet OFF the all-star team

Posted by Dave Stubbs @ 7:32 PM

In the wave of indignation about this ballot-box humiliation, let me swim against the current to say that the best thing for the Canadiens is that their ace goaltender Cristobal Huet is not on the ballot for January's NHL All-Star Game in Dallas.  

Because if he were, he'd be booking his travel now.

OK, for those of you saying "Huh?", or suggesting that I'm a traitor, cruel to animals, a cross-dresser, or worse – no, I am NOT a Maple Leafs fan – let me put a little flesh on the bones of this statement:

Cristobal Huet

Courtesy Montreal Canadiens/canadiens.com

First, some background: Huet is not likely going to be taking part in the All-Star Game because he's not on the digital ballot, and he won't get the votes he needs by write-in. (I've yet to see my write-ins for former Canadien Gump Worsley, a six-time All-Star Game participant en route to the Hall of Fame) turn up on the voting totals.) But trust me: this is a good thing.

Let's get another thing straight: Huet is not of all-star quality this year. He's all-universe. Heading into Wednesday night's games, he led all NHL goaltenders with his .940 save percentage, and his 1.93 goals-against average. I mean, those are the numbers Georges Vézina was turning in, when the Canadiens would yield, oh, four shots per game early last century.

The election process is flawed, of course. For 19 years, the teams for this annual "classic" have been chosen by fan voting, which makes it pretty much a ballot-box-stuffing contest. It's not unlike the lengths to which some teams go near season's-end with video highlight packages, mailings, emailings and the like to influence voters who will decide a few major individual trophies.

Of the eight goalies on the Eastern Conference all-star ballot, the nearest to Huet in save percentage is Washington's Olaf Kolzig, with .918, and the closest in average is New Jersey Devils' Martin Brodeur, at 2.38. Light years behind, in other words.

No contest. Based on numbers, Huet is headed to Dallas. But the All-Star Game isn't based on numbers. It's a beauty contest, and right now, Huet would be Miss Congeniality – that is, if he missed anything at all.

Yes, Huet deserves high praise for his work. But the All-Star Game isn't the place to start. I say Canadiens fans should start a campaign to keep Huet off the team, and if you check the schedule, you might agree.

Montreal plays 15 games in February – more in that month than in any other this season, and February, as your grade-school teacher taught you, is the calendar's shortest month. It's a decent split, with eight matches at home and seven on the road, with two back-to-backs: home to Florida then in New Jersey Feb. 13 and 14, then home to Toronto and in New York Feb. 26 and 27

In two of the weeks that month, the Canadiens play four games. In one stretch, they play seven times in 11 nights.

There's no guarantee that David Aebischer will be firing on all cylinders at that time (nor Huet, for that matter). There's no guarantee that Aebischer will even be in Montreal.

So here's the question, admittedly one I've slanted just a bit:

Would you rather have Cristobal Huet play maybe 20 minutes in a meaningless all-star contest, the no-contact shooting gallery where he'll see more rubber than a tire-changer after the first snowfall, or would you rather he have four or five days' vacation before the stretch run to the playoffs, and come back recharged, refreshed and ready for the final 33 games of the regular season, or as many of them as coach Guy Carbonneau will send him out to play?

Enjoy your time off, Cristo, I'm off to cast more ballots for Gump Worsley, and hope your fans are doing likewise. You're an all-star in Montreal, if not the global ballot box, and that's more important to your club any day.

i think the guy is right

AMEN! I have been saying this for weeks.

Keep our players away from that silly boys club parade.

Let them rest during the "all-star" break.

I'd rather have an underrated player on my team than someone who is supposed to be the best and live up to all-star expecations any day.

Great read.

Guest habs4life!

Interesting Huet stat from last season:

At home, not counting the last 2 home games which he lost, Huet was:

12-1-2

1.18 GAA

0.960 Save %

6 SHUTOUTS!

I used to feel like if the game was at home Huet would never get beat. Anybody else felt the same way?

Guest SpecialK

I got 87:33. Last goal was Buffalo at 12:27 2nd period.

7:33 rest of Second

20 all of third

60 for last game

87 Minutes 33 seconds without a goal in.

Didn't think I'd get a response so I had to check. :D

I got 87:33. Last goal was Buffalo at 12:27 2nd period.

7:33 rest of Second

20 all of third

60 for last game

87 Minutes 33 seconds without a goal in.

Didn't think I'd get a response so I had to check. :D

I got mine from here:

Huet leads the way: With his second blanking of the season Tuesday night, Cristobal Huet’s shutout streak is now at 97:20. That moved the French netminder atop the league’s standings in the two main goaltending categories, with a 1.93 goals-against average and a .940 save percentage. Huet will aim for a career-high seventh straight win tonight. He last won six in a row last season from March 23 to April 4.

http://www.canadiens.com/eng/news/redirect...newsItemID=5394

But so low-key is Huet, he's not even on the ballot for the fan voting for the NHL all-star game.  

He had a so-so training camp and had an inconclusive 2-1-2 start to the season, when backup David Aebischer looked poised to take over the starting job.  

The NHL felt it couldn't put a goalie on ballot who wasn't sure to be a starter, but may have passed up one of the best in the conference.  

And since Huet's shutout in Carolina, he's become the clear No. 1. Aebischer has lost his past three starts.

I really think they should start the ballot sooner I mean you can't judge a player on 5 games. I mean look at Alex Semin. He was the leading scorer at one point and is now sitting 48th.

Guest habs_fan_4_life

Huet was incredible tonight. I hope his play continues throughout the season. I have really grown to love this guy. He is just simply amazing.

I dont know man I dont know. I'm scared he's back to his october form again. He just looked so slow in his net tonight. He should've had at least 2 of the 4 goals tonight.

I'm scared he's just on a freak run this month...

I dont know why.

Man, that way Carolina played they coulda had 8 goals if Huet wasn't on his game. 50 shots in regulation is ridiculous.

He held us in there as long as possible, but he can't do it all.

Man, that way Carolina played they coulda had 8 goals if Huet wasn't on his game. 50 shots in regulation is ridiculous.

He held us in there as long as possible, but he can't do it all.

Do you seriously think he's for real.

I think he just had a great november and is at best a top 15-20 goalie.

Archived