The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens

39 Cristobal Huet 06-07

jl-1

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest raydourque
I don't know why everyone is complaining about how Huet plays in the shootout. Last I check the shootout is not part of the playoffs.

can't get to the playoffs if we lose games in the shootouts in the regular season and lose points. you're getting ahead of yourself and the team. last time i checked we haven't made the playoffs yet.

can't get to the playoffs if we lose games in the shootouts in the regular season and lose points. you're getting ahead of yourself and the team. last time i checked we haven't made the playoffs yet.

Last time I checked we're doing just fine RE making the playoffs.

The man has a good point, there are no shootouts in the playoffs, so who really cares.

Guest MTLenForce
At most, you could say Huet needs work with shootouts, but even then, he was 2-2 before tonight and is actually better than most goalies in the league (go check the shootout stats on NHL.com). Heck, even with tonight's shootout loss he's still got a better record than Giguere, who's a killer goalie this season.

Yep, indeed.

Anyway we can't say a goaltender was bad or average when he actually makes his general stats (already very good) even better at the end of the game.

% : .931 => .932 (1st)

GAA : 2.30 => 2.27 (9th ... from 8th, for Norenna is shining so he entered the top of these stats)

Guest Miltie01

Don't worry about how Huet does in the shoot out. If the team keeps playing as well as we did last night and gets and stays healthy, we shouldn.t see alot of shoot outs anyway.

Guest habs_fan1160

I think he played pretty solid against the Sabres. Had Koivu and Sami scored in the shootout it would have been a far different game.

It's hard to blame last night's loss on anyone we played a good game and came out with a point. It's more than some teams can say when matched up against the Sabres.

Guest NothingGreater

LOL whats with the people complaining how bad Huet is in shootouts?

Do you people even look at the stats before you start to complain?

I can understand that you would be angry we lost a game or what have you, but don't come in bashing the goalie for holding the highest scoring team down to 2 goals in regulation.

And some of you are saying your not trusting him? I've got the utmost trust in this guy because I really haven't seen a reason not to. And to say theres more breakaways in the playoffs in then in the season? Theres no logic behind that so I won't touch on that either. Fact is: No shoot-outs in the playoffs so where ok when it matters (And for people saying we might not be in their? Where is your faith? I don't know about you, but every year I consider us in the playoffs)and I really don't recall him being bad on breakaways either.

Huet is the man!

Guest 1337FREAK
If we miss the playoffs due to losing a few shootout games then maybe we don't deserve to make the playoffs.

I really cant see us mising the playoffs this year...

Guest P.Royfan
I really cant see us mising the playoffs this year...

Oh I do too. But some people were complaining about how bad Huet was in shootout. And I simply said there is no shootouts in the playoffs so what's the big deal. Then people were complaing about the points were were losing and then well you get the picture.

Guest 4beforeorr
huet said he wasnt expecting the slap shot,  ya think!!!!

And just when you were thinking Souray would let go with the big slapper? Were you scratchin' your head in joy afterward?

Guest clarke19

Well here's the deal Huet is bad in shootouts, Also since we was granted the no.1 spot his play hasn't amazed me like it should, he'll get back on track though. He just needs to learn to move in the shootout.

What if we pull an Edmonton and pop Aebischer in for shootouts...?

We all know, if we hadn't already, that its not Huet's strength... But getting down on him for it is totally unjust, because with our lack of offense and the way we play at times, most goalies in the league wouldn't make it past regulation!

As long as we're taking points against big teams, I'll gladly keep losing in shootouts instead of in regulation.

What if we pull an Edmonton and pop Aebischer in for shootouts...?

We all know, if we hadn't already, that its not Huet's strength... But getting down on him for it is totally unjust, because with our lack of offense and the way we play at times, most goalies in the league wouldn't make it past regulation!

As long as we're taking points against big teams, I'll gladly keep losing in shootouts instead of in regulation.

I agree...We usually make it to OT bc of Huet saving the game with 1 of 2 HUGE saves so that point is a bonus...Yah it would be nice to win the majority of shootouts but its a crapshoot...And I think he deserves some slack on the Vanek goal bc noone saw that coming!

Guest thefooligan5

I've noticed a lot of people taking issue with Huet's lack of movement in shootouts. I can only assume that this has stemmed from the most recent (and possibly only) instance where a Buffalo player took a slapshot into the top corner effectively winning the shootout.

I am little tiffed by this. Yes, Huet did not even flinch. He was completely handcuffed as it was very much obvious that he did not expect a slapshot (think the opposite of Souray's goal which left the goaltender making an ugly last ditch dive to save the puck). I am quite certain that Huet had pegged the shooter as a deke prior to him even picking up the puck and thus was not prepared in the least. Yes, in hindsight this was not a brilliant idea but the shootout is in part anticipation and given this player is not known as a shooter so much, he anticipated deke and was made to look like a fool.

Lesson learned.

No doubt he will not make such quick assumptions next time, but you need to mistakes to learn from them. And besides, I have seen other goalies who were frozen by unsuspected slapshots in shootouts before. It is not as though he has been made the fool of the week or something. No one expected the shot. I think the majority of the crowd were surprised more by the pinpoint slapshot as opposed to the unmoving Huet. I know I was.

I wish to say, cut him some slack. He has done well in shootouts. Not amazing, but pretty well. More often than not, our shootouts are not lost by Huet, but the Habs' inability to score. And this is from players who are known as goal scorers. So I think Huet should be the second issue to focus on after scoring when speaking about shootouts. When amazing shooters like Ryder and Kovalev, swift footed guys like samsonov and pleks, and other capable guys cannot score consistently, there is an obvious problem. I commend Huet's efforts but also say, "Damn, you got schooled Huey. Now you know better."

I've noticed a lot of people taking issue with Huet's lack of movement in shootouts. I can only assume that this has stemmed from the most recent (and possibly only) instance where a Buffalo player took a slapshot into the top corner effectively winning the shootout.

I am little tiffed by this. Yes, Huet did not even flinch. He was completely handcuffed as it was very much obvious that he did not expect a slapshot (think the opposite of Souray's goal which left the goaltender making an ugly last ditch dive to save the puck). I am quite certain that Huet had pegged the shooter as a deke prior to him even picking up the puck and thus was not prepared in the least. Yes, in hindsight this was not a brilliant idea but the shootout is in part anticipation and given this player is not known as a shooter so much, he anticipated deke and was made to look like a fool.  

Lesson learned.

No doubt he will not make such quick assumptions next time, but you need to mistakes to learn from them. And besides, I have seen other goalies who were frozen by unsuspected slapshots in shootouts before. It is not as though he has been made the fool of the week or something. No one expected the shot. I think the majority of the crowd were surprised more by the pinpoint slapshot as opposed to the unmoving Huet. I know I was.

I wish to say, cut him some slack. He has done well in shootouts. Not amazing, but pretty well. More often than not, our shootouts are not lost by Huet, but the Habs' inability to score. And this is from players who are known as goal scorers. So I think Huet should be the second issue to focus on after scoring when speaking about shootouts. When amazing shooters like Ryder and Kovalev, swift footed guys like samsonov and pleks, and other capable guys cannot score consistently, there is an obvious problem. I commend Huet's efforts but also say, "Damn, you got schooled Huey. Now you know better."

bottom line is his great play gets us to most of these shootouts

Huet has to be our #1 goalie and play like it to make it in the playoffs and to make it further in the playoffs... He does have a few things to work on though, like going down way to early on shots... In the game against the Sabres the other night, that's how the second goal was scored, Huet was down before the guy took the shot...

The thing though that I don't understand is last year Huet was more of a stand up goalie and this year he's more of a butterfly style... Does this have something to do with Melanson? If so I think of the over used saying, "if it's not broke then don't fix it"...

Archived