The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

39 Cristobal Huet 06-07

jl-1

I think Jet's post should calm us down somewhat and give us the broader perspective we need to assess Huet. Fact is, he didn't start on fire last year but subsequently went on to an outstanding second half. So let's have some faith in our mild-mannered netminder.

Last year I was one of the members aruging that Theodore got pulled in like 3 of his first 10 starts in 01-02... Let's wait and see

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why did Huet get new equipment this year. I prefer the ones from last year but these ones are still nice. I just don't understand why he got new equipment because he only used them for half a season. I read on RDS that Huet is having problems because of his new equipment. They said he still not used to it.

So I guess Theo was having problems because he had new pads last season? :D

It doesn't matter what equipment a goalie has, as long as he keeps the puck out of the net without getting hurt, right? He choses what equipment he wants, and if he changed colours, big deal... I actually like his set better than last year anyways.

Guest 60islove
good game by heut tonight, still seemed a little shaky at times, a little out of postision maybe,, but pretty solid and got the 2points we needed

that win was imperative for huet, he needed it to get his mindframe back in a healthy place. hopefully now he can continue to improve and everything will be good in the back...now as for the front samy is a different story :D

Guest J.Outlaw
Why did Huet get new equipment this year. I prefer the ones from last year but these ones are still nice. I just don't understand why he got new equipment because he only used them for half a season. I read on RDS that Huet is having problems because of his new equipment. They said he still not used to it.

yeah too bad that the second picture is of Aibescher...lmao

Theodore may have had problems with switching pads...but Theodore has only 3 out of 11 starts since joining Colorado...hes definetley got other problems...besides that...dont worry..who has a better "backup" goalie then us?

buffalo

Anaheim and San Jose also have great backups...

With that being said, I simply trust Huet a lot more then Aebi, Aebischer gives up a lot of rebounds, finds himself scrambling a lot... Huet is usually calm cool and doesn't need to jump around a lot....

Let's face it, we need Huet to run with the starters job, we can't afford to have a 2 million dollar back up with the guys we have to resign this offseason... He had a very good game the other night against Boston, may have stolen us the 2 points.

Anaheim and San Jose also have great backups...

With that being said, I simply trust Huet a lot more then Aebi, Aebischer gives up a lot of rebounds, finds himself scrambling a lot... Huet is usually calm cool and doesn't need to jump around a lot....

Let's face it, we need Huet to run with the starters job, we can't afford to have a 2 million dollar back up with the guys we have to resign this offseason... He had a very good game the other night against Boston, may have stolen us the 2 points.

I completely agree with you about Huet!

Guest Y ASK Y

I have total confidence in Huet. He should definetely be the #1 goalie. Abby is good too and he can be a #1 goalie no doubt about it but Huet deserves it. It should be his to lose.

As for the platoon thing... I might be WAAAYYY of base but maybe the reason for it is because it would make trading one of the goalies (plus Souray, I can't see him staying with Montreal) easier for a star d-man. For these two reasons:

1) we have good young goalies to fill in the spot. Therefore, we can trade a good goalie away.

2) the platoon system says "we have two #1 goalies, if you want one (most likey Abby) then you need to give us something good." Instead of, "we have a good back-up goalie. Who can we get for him."

I have total confidence in Huet. He should definetely be the #1 goalie. Abby is good too and he can be a #1 goalie no doubt about it but Huet deserves it. It should be his to lose.QUOTE]

I think Abby derserves it more than Huet. Huet has only played 1/2 a season while Abby took over for Roy and in that first season he played amazing and then last season he was doing fine until he was traded...And look what he did in te Olympics..Plus he is only 28 to Huets 31 which is a huge difference bc Abby is just entering his prime...Abby is just gonna get better and has clearly shown this season he is a #1 and should get the majority of the starts

Guest Y ASK Y

I would have no problem with Abby being Montreal's #1 goaltender. I was really impressed that he didn't fold but played phenomenal last Sat. against the Laffs after the initial 3 goals. Also, Abby played stellar against the Sens (who were on a tear all year long) last year. Heck, Abby even made me good money on the two bets I made going with Montreal....

Anyways, Huet was a HUGE reason why they made the playoffs last year. He should be given the chance to prove people right/wrong about being called a 1/2 season wonder. I figure after the Sens game Tuesday. Give Huet the next 10 games. Huet will be facing teams like Carolina (hate 'em too), NJ Devils, the make me laffs, Atlanta, Ottawa... and the 10th game is Buffalo. That'll be a pretty good indication of skills. If he plays like he did last year well.... then obviously he deserves it. If not then Abby deserves the chance to take it.

Regardless, I would just like to see either Huet (preferably, for reasons above)or Abby get regular starts instead of just 2 or so games here and there.

Guest J.Outlaw

I love that we have 2 goalies that I can trust for the most part is not gonna lose any games for us...we are far from the JC Bergeron/Andre Racicot fiascos...Aibescher was Roy's protege for many years...and if not for being traded would definetley still be number 1 in Colorado...(thank you Gainey for removing that spoiled brat)...

goaltending should definetely not be an issue for the canadiens for quite some time

I love that we have 2 goalies that I can trust for the most part is not gonna lose any games for us

The thing is, we need Huet to pick up the ball and run with it, we're tight against the cap with a lot of guys to resign and we simply can't afford a 2 million dollar backup.. Huet was very good against Boston and should be given every chance to lead this team again, why he wasn't in net against Toronto makes no sense to me.

Don't get me wrong, Aebischer is a fine goalie, but Huet played very good and like I said, having a 2 million dollar back up makes no sense with our cap position...

Guest Abbyland
The thing is, we need Huet to pick up the ball and run with it, we're tight against the cap with a lot of guys to resign and we simply can't afford a 2 million dollar backup.. Huet was very good against Boston and should be given every chance to lead this team again, why he wasn't in net against Toronto makes no sense to me.

Don't get me wrong, Aebischer is a fine goalie, but Huet played very good and like I said, having a 2 million dollar back up makes no sense with our cap position...

And if you move Huet you even have more than 2 million dollar back..... It all depends on what other GM's want to give us!

Guest Rainman
I think Abby derserves it more than Huet. Huet has only played 1/2 a season while Abby took over for Roy and in that first season he played amazing and then last season he was doing fine until he was traded...And look what he did in te Olympics..Plus he is only 28 to Huets 31 which is a huge difference bc Abby is just entering his prime...Abby is just gonna get better and has clearly shown this season he is a #1 and should get the majority of the starts

I don't know if you've been watching the same games I have, but while Abby's style of play may make the highlight reel more often, he also gives some (most?) of us too many heart attack moments. Huet was as cool as they come tonight vs Carolina. And after tonight's shutout, I believe a lot of fans will be having second thoughts about who should "get the majority of the starts."

GO HABS GO !!!

Guest TORHABSFAN
I don't know if you've been watching the same games I have, but while Abby's style of play may make the highlight reel more often, he also gives some (most?) of us too many heart attack moments.  Huet was as cool as they come tonight vs Carolina. And after tonight's shutout, I believe a lot of fans will be having second thoughts about who should "get the majority of the starts."

GO HABS GO !!!

I am not having 2nd thoughts. I have been saying Huet is the man all along. Nice Shutout Huet!!!

HUET HUET HUET HUET HUET!

Guest silversnake

great game by Huet and like he said in the interview , he knew Carolina would come out fast/strong in the first and he blocked all 16 shots in the first. Great job and i really hope he gets the start on Saturday.

Archived