The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

39 Cristobal Huet 06-07

jl-1

im thinking thats why he only signed him to a 2 year deal.....i think if he is doing well by the trade deadline...we can see him packaged in a trade.

You mean if Halak has proven he is a #1 goaltender. Trading your #1 away at the trade deadline is a big message that you don't expect to make it at playoff time.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest feistyboy27

I predict next season Huet will start either:

1)40-45 games. In this case it would be a platoon with Halak which I doub

2)48-52 games. In this case he would be the #1 but not your typical #1, with the backup played alot.

3)55-60 games. In this case he would be the full fledged #1.

I really think 2 or 3 is most likely unless he gets injured again.

Guest sh00n

People turn on our players way too fast. For his first game back in months, I thought Huet was great in nets against the Laffs. Imagine if he stayed healthy? I could've seen us 6th seed easily.

Guest TPSchild

There is no way Halak should be traded off he gave this team a chance for playoff position. Halak and Huet should get even games at the start of next season and see who is performing well, like this season with Huet and Abby.

Guest FlHabsFan

Oh god. Not that again. They should under no circumstances go with this on again off again garbage that Guy did this season. It lets neither guy get into a rhythm for the season (Huet really started to emerge once they got off that system due to Abby tanking).

Then there is the confidence issue. Everyone knows what braincases goalies can be. The platoon system just messes with their heads more.

Then there is the team factor. The guys need to bond with their goalie and get (again) into a rhythm. Each goalie has their own style and if you keep switching, then the rest of the team has to switch their style too.

IMHO the platoon system is what doomed the team. Huet is #1. If he earns the job yet again in the fall, then he should be in net as a true starter.

Guest KOIVU#11

Huet will get us thorugh next season....MAYBE. But lets face it, even before he was injured he wasnt playing very good hockey, and I've preached this soo many times that he lets in a weak goal practically every game, him and Aebischer spend way too much time on their knees sliding around, so pucks are beating him up high left right and center, and then even when he's down on his knees he still lets tricklers go through his legs. He's been like it since last season, its nothing new. He's a bandaid for a bullet wound that is currently our goaltending situation and Bob has to seriously look at aquiring a golatender if he wants to have a relatively successful season next year.

Guest feistyboy27

Saying Halak deserves a platoon based on a few good weeks of hockey is complete garbage. Halak has earned himself the backup job for next season likely, which was far from secure for him before. Congratulations, that is his reward, not a platoon. The platoon was a dumb idea to start this season, you sign Huet for 2 years to starters contract and dont give him the reigns. No absolute lunacy to have a platoon to start next season, play Huet in 3/4s of the games and if he is doing well keep it like that. Only if he struggles even think of a demented platoon.

Saying Halak deserves a platoon based on a few good weeks of hockey is complete garbage.  Halak has earned himself the backup job for next season likely, which was far from secure for him before.  Congratulations, that is his reward, not a platoon.  The platoon was a dumb idea to start this season, you sign Huet for 2 years to starters contract and dont give him the reigns.  No absolute lunacy to have a platoon to start next season, play Huet in 3/4s of the games and if he is doing well keep it like that.  Only if he struggles even think of a demented platoon.

I agree. Platooning just causes problems since it doesn't allow for either Goalie to gain confidence or bounce back. The job is Huet's unless he COMPLETELY blows next season, which I doubt.

Guest feistyboy27
I agree. Platooning just causes problems since it doesn't allow for either Goalie to gain confidence or bounce back. The job is Huet's unless he COMPLETELY blows next season, which I doubt.

Yes confidence is a big part of being a good goaltender. Huet has had to go through his whole career with people doubting if he is good enough. To be put in a platoon with a talented rookie goaltender only ignites that self doubt.

Dont get me wrong, I like Halak, but if they start next season with a platoon, or even rush to it prematurely I will be disgusted. I also stand by what I said, Halak has done nothing to earn a platoon situation at this point, a few good weeks of goaltending, even as a rookie, does not earn that.

It was a mistake this year to do so. Sure Aebischer was playing great early this season, but Huet starting most of the games probably would have played similarly. While there are other periods Aebischer played alot worse then Huet, some he may have been similar. You dont demote your starting goalie to a backup because the backup has a couple good games. A good backup should theoreticaly have stretches over an 82 game season he hypotheticaly would have played equal or better to the starter, but over most of that time the starter is probably equal or better. The wise move is to stay with the starter, and not jump ship whenever the backup has a couple of good games. I hope that is what we see this season, and I am confident in Huet doing a good job in this case.

Guest Y ASK Y

Just reading the last few posts it occurred to me that maybe the reason why the Habs had the season that they did was that Coach Carbonneau was so "indecisive" (understandable for a rookie coach), that is, he played two goalies and that didn't let them and the teammates to get into the "groove" of each other. Switched Streit and Dandenault from defensemen to forwards. Switching lines like hot potatoes. Even switching Kovy to centre for a little bit.

Like these were all good ideas but maybe coach should of just stuck with something and let it stick for awhile.

Also, I found this quote from John Tortorella of the Lightnings very interesting from an article in nhl.com:

Defensively, New Jersey should expect to see more of Lecavalier, St. Louis and Brad Richards, the Lightning's big three players. St. Louis played 28:07, while Lecavalier was on 26:03 and Richards 24:17.

"This is the playoffs," Tortorella said. "I am going to live and die with my best players."

Koivu, Ryder, Kovy, Huet, and even Sammy (in a sense that's what he was paid to be) should of been "ridden" to the end. At the end of the season, wherever the chips may fall, at least the highest paid players proved whether they sucked or was worth their salary.

Guest jeff33
Just reading the last few posts it occurred to me that maybe the reason why the Habs had the season that they did was that Coach Carbonneau was so "indecisive" (understandable for a rookie coach), that is, he played two goalies and that didn't let them and the teammates to get into the "groove" of each other.  Switched Streit and Dandenault from defensemen to forwards.  Switching lines like hot potatoes.  Even switching Kovy to centre for a little bit.

Like these were all good ideas but maybe coach should of just stuck with something and let it stick for awhile.

Also, I found this quote from John Tortorella of the Lightnings very interesting from an article in nhl.com:

Defensively, New Jersey should expect to see more of Lecavalier, St. Louis and Brad Richards, the Lightning's big three players. St. Louis played 28:07, while Lecavalier was on 26:03 and Richards 24:17.

"This is the playoffs," Tortorella said. "I am going to live and die with my best players."

Koivu, Ryder, Kovy, Huet, and even Sammy (in a sense that's what he was paid to be) should of been "ridden" to the end.  At the end of the season, wherever the chips may fall, at least the highest paid players proved whether they sucked or was worth their salary.

i agree with this completely, it bothered me all year. my beef with carbo was his handling of the top 6 fwds and the goalies. he was very reluctant to ride his best players or his top goalie. i think next year its gotta be 65/35 huet unless halak gets hot. definetly a lesson that shuold be learned from this year. im not blaming abby for us missing the playoffs but he was in net way toomuch this year, your number 1 has to be your number 1 or dont be shocked when he cant stay in the zone.

Guest feistyboy27

Carbonneau basically overcoached the team. LOL! When you think too much about how to arrange lines, how to evaluate both goaltenders, how to use everybody and test who should be playing and what roles they should be playing, you are basically overanalying what you should be doing. Just go with a #1 goalie unless he really struggles, obviously Huet; go with your 6 best forwards on the top 2 lines, and if you arrange them only switch among those 6, and only if one of the lines is clearly not working, only change who the top 6 are under a last resort. Decide whether you want Streit or Dandenault to be a forward first or a defenceman first, the versatility is nice, so either can fill for emergency situations, but decide which one you prefer to focus on them being.

Guest habinto
if he is...then i would trade him.

He is the best and most proven goalie on our team so we should keep him until we are comfortable with the up and coming kids. We are not rebuilding therefore we need to keep the best and most experienced goalie.

The Comfort thing is where the contraversy is/will be.

Guest stevesaku
He is the best and most proven goalie on our team so we should keep him until we are comfortable with the up and coming kids.  We are not rebuilding therefore we need to keep the best and most experienced goalie.  

The Comfort thing is where the contraversy is/will be.

we will not sign him at the end of his contract i believe...so why lose him for nothing??

Guest ram84
we will not sign him at the end of his contract i believe...so why lose him for nothing??

True, especially with the goalie propects we have. And there are a lot of teams that need a #1 goalie, florida is one of them, maybe we can get Horton.

Guest FlHabsFan

Trading away a #1 goalie for a couple of rooks with minimal to no nhl experience is suicide and tells your oponents you have no plans to try and win.

Guest stevesaku
Trading away a #1 goalie for a couple of rooks with minimal to no nhl experience is  suicide and tells your oponents you have no plans to try and win.

we dont want to trade him now. but if a good deal comes along at the trade deadline next season...huet is not irreplaceable.

Guest KOIVU#11
i agree with this completely, it bothered me all year. my beef with carbo was his handling of the top 6 fwds and the goalies. he was very reluctant to ride his best players or his top goalie. i think next year its gotta be 65/35 huet unless halak gets hot. definetly a lesson that shuold be learned from this year. im not blaming abby for us missing the playoffs but he was in net way toomuch this year, your number 1 has to be your number 1 or dont be shocked when he cant stay in the zone.

Good point, but somethting that I noticed was that sometimes Huet never really played like a #1 goaltender, he had a period there before his injury that he wasnt playing very well, maybe this injury he had was one that built up over time, but my point is Huet never exactly shined in January or the beginning of Febuary so that could be the reason aebi played more games than a back up goaltender should.

Guest habinto
Trading away a #1 goalie for a couple of rooks with minimal to no nhl experience is  suicide and tells your oponents you have no plans to try and win.

Exactly!!!!

Guest habinto
we dont want to trade him now. but if a good deal comes along at the trade deadline next season...huet is not irreplaceable.

So if we are making the playoff cutoff and a good offer comes for him you would trade him and ruin our chances of going far in the playoffs.

The word used was SUICIDE!!!

Halak and Price will highly unlikely be able to replace him!!!

Guest FlHabsFan
Good point, but somethting that I noticed was that sometimes Huet never really played like a #1 goaltender, he had a period there before his injury that he wasnt playing very well, maybe this injury he had was one that built up over time, but my point is Huet never exactly shined in January or  the beginning of Febuary so that could be the reason aebi played more games than a back up goaltender should.

You mean during the time half the team was sick with the flu?

Guest Keith
Oh god. Not that again. They should under no circumstances go with this on again off again garbage that Guy did this season. It lets neither guy get into a rhythm for the season (Huet really started to emerge once they got off that system due to Abby tanking).

Then there is the confidence issue. Everyone knows what braincases goalies can be. The platoon system just messes with their heads more.  

Then there is the team factor. The guys need to bond with their goalie and get (again) into a rhythm. Each goalie has their own style and if you keep switching, then the rest of the team has to switch their style too.

IMHO the platoon system is what doomed the team.  Huet is #1. If he earns the job yet again in the fall, then he should be in net as a true starter.

You're only looking within the team though. Not to say your points are invalid by any means, but it's like saying pulling the goalie will give us 6 players and a better chance to score and win, truth is the other team has an empty net to dump on.

Platoon goalies can throw off teams in playoff situations, it rests goalies at the most mentally and physically demanding times of the year, as well as alter the other teams playstyle. Look at Martin Brodeur vs Tampa Bay right now, he's considerered the league's best goalie right now and he's not doing well.

Guest FlHabsFan

I agree you need a competant backup who can take a few games every now and then(the back to back games and every now and then to rest your#1). No goalie can really take a full 82+ game schedule. Brodeur is no youngster any more. At 35, hes going to need someone to cover a few more games for him. NJ should of rested him a bit more in the 2nd half, but thats their bed to lie in. And Tampa has a chance to send them to the golf course because of it. But the 2 on 2 off thing, I really think did the opposite of what Guy wanted it to accomplish.

Guest saks39

this is commical. Huet was an all star last year and the entire team was bad and hung him out to dry for alot over his bad stretch. Are we going to go with halak, who was solid but not great, proved that he could be a backup and even that is a question mark, a guy isnt evaluated and given a spot based on 7 good games and 5 bad ones and a few average games. And price, playing good for canada doesnt mean he will be great in the NHL, it means nothing. Hes a big question mark until he proves he can do it in the nhl. Huet will be #1 next year. To do or think otherwise will get us 10+ points out of the playoffs compared to 1 or being in.

Archived