The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

39 Cristobal Huet 06-07

jl-1

this is commical. Huet was an all star last year and the entire team was bad and  hung him out to dry for alot over his bad stretch. Are we going to go with halak, who was solid but not great, proved that he could be a backup and even that is a question mark, a guy isnt evaluated and given a spot based on 7 good games and 5 bad ones and a few average games. And price, playing good for canada doesnt mean he will be great in the NHL, it means nothing. Hes a big question mark until he proves he can do it in the nhl. Huet will be #1 next year. To do or think otherwise will get us 10+ points out of the playoffs compared to 1 or being in.

i couldnt agree with you more...

people keep suggesting we trade huet...but he is an all star goalie...he is so good and so underrated and he has been named one of the three starts in 15+ games this season..

not to mention he costs less than 3M dollars...

i hope huet re-signs with us

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest jeff33
i couldnt agree with you more...

people keep suggesting we trade huet...but he is an all star goalie...he is so good and so underrated  and he has been named one of the three starts in 15+ games this season..

not to mention he costs less than 3M dollars...

i hope huet re-signs with us

seriously...this thread cracks me up. so many people lost faith in this guy because he stopped making 40 saves a night for a little while. not to mention the team was atrocious during that stretch at both ends of the ice....i remember even at the time thinking how is this huets fault? he got chosen to the all star team BY THE COACHES. that says a LOT. hes a very good goalie, not a guy to make yuo win by himself, altho he has the talent to steal games, but if nothing else a reliable goalie who will give you good goaltending consistently. with a team in front of him he could go far, very comparable to miller in buffalo. his age is his only downfall, but the young guys coming up will be ready by the time it becomes an issue. our goaltending situation is fine, probably the most stable position on the team.

Guest saks39

exactly. There were quite a few games we shouldnt have won that huet kept us in this year and actually stole us a point or a W. The team is horrendus defensivly for a month and its 100% on the goalie? :roll:

exactly. There were quite a few games we shouldnt have won that huet kept us in this year and actually stole us a point or a W. The team is horrendus defensivly for a month and its 100% on the goalie? :roll:

i guess people here dont know who to blame....

lets hope gainey gives huet a contract extension...

• 1 month later...
So if we are making the playoff cutoff and a good offer comes for him you would trade him and ruin our chances of going far in the playoffs.

The word used was SUICIDE!!!

Halak and Price will highly unlikely be able to replace him!!!

At this point in time, yes...but next year's trade deadline is a long way away. Who knows who might be ready or not - only time (and games) will tell.

Guest habinto
At this point in time, yes...but next year's trade deadline is a long way away. Who knows who might be ready or not - only time (and games) will tell.

Sounds like a lot of "ifs" to me

Guest habs_fan1160

I like Huet a lot and he's been solid and great for us. But I never did think Huet would be a long term solution for the Habs - eventually Price would take over. I just didn't expect it to be any time soon.

I have a lot of respect for Huet, he saved this team over and over again.

I'm sure a Halak/Price duo could propel us into the playoffs. Huet's value is very high right now and as high as it will ever be (don't forget his all-star selection) and if we take the chance of playing him next year that value could go down, if I was Gainey I'd trade Huet this summer and possibly on draft day to get a young but proven center.

I love Huet but I'm thinking about our needs right now and we have so much talent on G.

I'm sure a Halak/Price duo could propel us into the playoffs. Huet's value is very high right now and as high as it will ever be (don't forget his all-star selection) and if we take the chance of playing him next year that value could go down, if I was Gainey I'd trade Huet this summer and possibly on draft day to get a young but proven center.

I love Huet but I'm thinking about our needs right now and we have so much talent on G.

I would trade Huet now too... consider that we will save potentially close to 1.9 million if we go with Price and Halak as well as gain more money to sign other players that could make the team better overall.

Guest Miltie01
I would trade Huet now too... consider that we will save potentially close to 1.9 million if we go with Price and Halak as well as gain more money to sign other players that could make the team better overall.

It is something that must be at least considered, especially if a good return can be made.

The player development people all feel the other two guys are ready, so maybe it is time to trade one of these three fine assets.

Guest Renko

Trading Huet right now does 2 things for us. First it frees up cap space we could spend on another position. Second it reduces the log jam we have in goal. The way Price is playing right now, I would put good money on the fact he's NHL ready next year, and even if he isnt, Halak has proven he can play in the league. There's no better time to trade Huet than right now, as much as I like him.

Why not wait until we are sure Halak can be a full timer and Price is NHL ready, what is the hurry? We KNOW Huet is capable, we don't know if the other two are. God, we have to be the most impatience fans in hockey, ready throw away proper development for the sake of trying to win now rather than win later.

Guest Garthy18
Why not wait until we are sure Halak can be a full timer and Price is NHL ready, what is the hurry? We KNOW Huet is capable, we don't know if the other two are. God, we have to be the most impatience fans in hockey, ready throw away proper development for the sake of trying to win now rather than win later.

Totally agree, trading Huet is so silly it belongs in silly land and Huet can win now anyway and the future of the crease looks great, why mess it up for more cap space and another samsanov. Huet was the darling of habs fans not long ago and now you want him gone, no wonder players think twice before coming to montreal.

Guest CanadianMike
:blink: can't believe so many of you want to trade Huet "already" I mean the guy hasn't even given us 1 full season yet. We still have so many questions.

Guest Talon

The people who are proposing to trade Huet are underestimating Gainey's desire for experience. Huet might not have a ton of experience but he is not a rookie and there is no way Gainey goes with two rookies in net for season (unless the playoffs are out of the picture).

The people who are proposing to trade Huet are underestimating Gainey's desire for experience. Huet might not have a ton of experience but he is not a rookie and there is no way Gainey goes with two rookies in net for season (unless the playoffs are out of the picture).
Gainey may surprise everyone... only time will tell. His goal is to win in 2009 IMO, though he would parobably like to see better results next season than what has happened the past year. I don't think he would want to miss the playoffs two seasons in a row... which could temper his game plan to keep Huet at least for the start of the season and see how things go from there as regards the entire team's performance.

Guest CristoWallHuet39

This is going to be Huet's first full season (50+ games) with no Theodore or Aebischer to waste starts and he's going to show that he can do it. No point trading him; lets just let him finish his contract here with the Habs, because he IS worth it. Halak will back him up and Price will stay in the minors for the season. Next year we shall re-evaluate everything.

Guest TORHABSFAN
This is going to be Huet's first full season (50+ games) with no Theodore or Aebischer to waste starts and he's going to show that he can do it. No point trading him; lets just let him finish his contract here with the Habs, because he IS worth it. Halak will back him up and Price will stay in the minors for the season. Next year we shall re-evaluate everything.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him still start less than 50 games. Halak will get hot agian and force the issuse.

Guest stevesaku

it seems huet cant play passed a certain amount. he has been jynxed his entire career. and when he was about to win i think his 30th game he never did. he lost the rest of his starts. i hope he can break through the adversity and play around 55 games for us but i have a feeling he cant carry the load for long.

it seems huet cant play passed a certain amount. he has been jynxed his entire career. and when he was about to win i think his 30th game he never did. he lost the rest of his starts. i hope he can break through the adversity and play around 55 games for us but i have a feeling he cant carry the load for long.

Huet's weird. At times he looks like the All Star player we love, but other times he looks incredibly shaky, and injuries haven't halped things either. I don't know if it's coincidence or fatigue, but if he is to truly be a #1 goaltender, he needs to a.) stay healthy b.) play consistantly well

Guest TORHABSFAN
Huet is an All-Star for crying out loud, Halak's stats were nowhere near Huet's. its foolish to suggest Huet will lose his job to Halak, he has saved the skins off our backs more often than not since hes been here.

Yeah Huet was an Allstar. However shortly after being named an Allstar his season took a serious Nose Dive.. He did not have a year anywhere close to the previous one. Personally I think the nose dive will continue, I hate to say it because I do like him but I wonder if he is capiable of playing over 50 games. I also wonder if he is able to play 7 striaght games or continuasly play 3-4 games a week. I see it over and over agian he wares down easily and has a brutal game after playing 6 or 7 striaght games.

When Huet was at his best it was half way through a season and he started off by splitting time with Theodore. Then when that was finnaly over it wasn't long before he was splitting time with Abby. In the Playoffs he was good but not great.

This season he started off kindda slow than picked it up. However again when he was at his best he was splitting time with Abby.. Once the platoon ended and he started getting full time his game started to fade.

Sadly as much as I like him I have to admit this is not the sign of a true #1 goalie. He doesn't have wat it takes to last all season with out a platoon.

Plus for 2 striaght season he missed time do to injury this has to be considered as well.

I am not trying to bash the guy as I do like him. In fact some on this board accused me of being a bigger Huet fan than a Habs fan (that was really stupid btw) But here is waht I am saying.. His Value is very high right now.. It will neve be higher in fact its a huge risk to think it can even stay this high at the trade deadline. We need cap space now and we have 2 goalies who are NHL ready and either perhaps both maybe Superstars in the making. We also have Danis who is capable of being a good NHL back up should either Halak or Price falture.

We are in cap trouble now so lets deal with it now!! If you add Huet to a package deal you may be able to unload Sammsonov and Kovalev and actualy get some real value in return. not to mention the cap space we can clear..

I really hate saying this but maybe we should reconginze the symptoms of a nose dive before it happens and unload the player when the value is still high. Just think what could have been if we did that with Theodore!!! Man I ahte saying that too cause Theo was one of my favs..

Mark my words if we don't trade Huet before the Season we will regret it later on!

I honestly believe people are still clouded by the 6 goals that were allowed against Toronto that sent us packing, rather than looking at the dozens of games he won for us. If we wouldn't have gave Abby so many chances to screw up with, we would all be singing a different tune.

Once again, Huet needs to come in and fight for his Fan Support, and you honestly think a 19 year old will come to THIS city and be able to hold the weight of all your expectations? the Media's expectations? Listen to everyone in here, you are ready to ship off one of the biggest surprises and blessings this team has recieved since Theo won the Vezina and the Hart. For what? because he had about 8 shakey games during a flu epidemic? Because he let in 6 goals in the game of the season, meanwhile our team gave up a 5 on 3 and a 4 minute PP when they were in the driver's seat in the 3rd?

Its Ridiculous, you guys are all ready to chew Huet up and spit him out, Goalies in this city are like no name brand gums, chew them for a short while and spit them out. Not even legends like Roy can survive in this city for a very long time, and you guys are ready to throw a 19 year old in this? Boy I can't wait until he has a shakey period during the season, i'll probably be reading about how we should buy him out or trade him for a bucket of pucks. If Huet is getting this much doubt thrown at him by the fans of this team for doing very little wrong, then i just can't see any goalie being able to satisfy your hunger, not even Price, poor kid, he has no idea...

Archived