The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

39 Cristobal Huet 06-07

jl-1

Guest Banishing Blade

At Huet's current price-tag, there really is no point in trading him; he's a solid starter who can hold his ground. Trading him doesn't really benefit the team at all, as we lose a proven starter and are forced to go with a Price / Halak combination, or to go out and get a new goalie, which seems redundant. Going with Price / Halak doesn't seem wise at all for a team that's rebuilding; let Price succeed in the AHL for a season or two, rather than bringing him up to the NHL and putting the heavy burden of making the playoffs on his shoulders.

Yes, Price has demonstrated that he is talented and is a potential #1 goaltender, but let him grow. Trading Huet now would only hurt the team. Besides, our key issues right now has nothing to do with our goaltending.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest TORHABSFAN
I honestly believe people are still clouded by the 6 goals that were allowed against Toronto that sent us packing, rather than looking at the dozens of games he won for us. If we wouldn't have gave Abby so many chances to screw up with, we would all be singing a different tune.

Once again, Huet needs to come in and fight for his Fan Support, and you honestly think a 19 year old will come to THIS city and be able to hold the weight of all your expectations? the Media's expectations? Listen to everyone in here, you are ready to ship off one of the biggest surprises and blessings this team has recieved since Theo won the Vezina and the Hart. For what? because he had about 8 shakey games during a flu epidemic? Because he let in 6 goals in the game of the season, meanwhile our team gave up a 5 on 3 and a 4 minute PP when they were in the driver's seat in the 3rd?

Its Ridiculous, you guys are all ready to chew Huet up and spit him out, Goalies in this city are like no name brand gums, chew them for a short while and spit them out. Not even legends like Roy can survive in this city for a very long time, and you guys are ready to throw a 19 year old in this? Boy I can't wait until he has a shakey period during the season, i'll probably be reading about how we should buy him out or trade him for a bucket of pucks. If Huet is getting this much doubt thrown at him by the fans of this team for doing very little wrong, then i just can't see any goalie being able to satisfy your hunger, not even Price, poor kid, he has no idea...

I swear my opinion that we should trade Huet has nothing to do with that one game. It has more to do with his injuries, his inability to play many consecitive games or over 50 dames a year, and his curent trade value. I am not bashing the guy at all.. I think he would be great splitting time with Halak. I just don't think he is a 55-70 game starter. I also believe in both Halak and Price and I see a oppertuinity to exchange a player with high value in a area where we have a surplus for a player in a spot we need.

Guest TORHABSFAN
At Huet's current price-tag, there really is no point in trading him; he's a solid starter who can hold his ground. Trading him doesn't really benefit the team at all, as we lose a proven starter and are forced to go with a Price / Halak combination, or to go out and get a new goalie, which seems redundant. Going with Price / Halak doesn't seem wise at all for a team that's rebuilding; let Price succeed in the AHL for a season or two, rather than bringing him up to the NHL and putting the heavy burden of making the playoffs on his shoulders.

Yes, Price has demonstrated that he is talented and is a potential #1 goaltender, but let him grow. Trading Huet now would only hurt the team. Besides, our key issues right now has nothing to do with our goaltending.

I complety digsagree and I no longer believe that Huet is a proven "Starter" I believe Huet is outstanding in a Platoon situation when he is given rest along the way... However it is my believe that many NHL GMs would agree with your assesment and that being the case I see the time to move him as now while his value is high.

His 3 mil dollar contract may not seem likle alot to you but. thats 3 mil that we can add to our offer for a top 6 foward or it can be used for a Souray replacement should he not recign. Curently we are in a spot to sign Souray or a forword however we need both. Also Huet maybe the type of clincher for a packge deal that could ship off Sammsonov and/or Kovalev something that would be HUGE for Us.

In Theory think about perhaps a deal that could send Huet Sammy and Kovy and maybe a pick to Tampa for St.Louis and some slighty over paid role player or something.

Tampa would get there starting Goalie plus two guys with huge offensive upside that while they may under achive Vinny and Brad may be able to help that out.. The players take up a total of aroun 11 mil but if they unload St. Louis and a nother player they could send 8.5 mil back this way they only really add 2.5 in payroll and gain a player on there roster and maybee a pick.

for us we get our top 6 foward and clear some space to resign Souray or a replacement.

now I know thats just some weird theory or fantasy senerio but I am just trying to show some benifts of opening your mind to tradeing Huet.

Guest Banishing Blade
I complety digsagree and I no longer believe that Huet is a proven "Starter" I believe Huet is outstanding in a Platoon situation when he is given rest along the way... However it is my believe that many NHL GMs would agree with your assesment and that being the case I see the time to move him as now while his value is high.

His value isn't that high, though; he's a bargain for his contract, but there aren't many teams looking for a Huet type player. Rebuilding teams will look to someone reliable, while playoff contention teams will look to a goalie who's played for substantially more than 40 games a season. Right now, considering Halak's play, we can afford to give Huet every every nth game off, because Halak is emerging. If we switch directly to Price / Halak, we risk having two inexperienced goaltenders try to carry us to the playoffs. Granted, Price has played excellently these AHL playoffs, but should we be a bottom-feeder next season, what would that do to his confidence?

His 3 mil dollar contract may not seem likle alot to you but. thats 3 mil that we can add to our offer for a top 6 foward or it can be used for a Souray replacement should he not recign. Curently we are in a spot to sign Souray or a forword however we need both. Also Huet maybe the type of clincher for a packge deal that could ship off Sammsonov and/or Kovalev something that would be HUGE for Us.

Or we could try and move Samsonov's even pricier contract, which would free up 500+ thousand more. Why trade away a player we're using when we could try and trade away one we aren't? I personally feel that the number of teams interested in a player like Huet would probably be the same amount as the number of teams interested in Samsonov ;)

Also, consider that trying to package the likes of Huet and Samsonov / Kovalev isn't an easy task all at once. We're gonna have a hard enough time unloading Sammy as it is.

In Theory think about perhaps a deal that could send Huet Sammy and Kovy and maybe a pick to Tampa for St.Louis and some slighty over paid role player or something.

Tampa would get there starting Goalie plus two guys with huge offensive upside that while they may under achive Vinny and Brad may be able to help that out.. The players take up a total of aroun 11 mil but if they unload St. Louis and a nother player they could send 8.5 mil back this way they only really add 2.5 in payroll and gain a player on there roster and maybee a pick.

for us we get our top 6 foward and clear some space to resign Souray or a replacement.

Tampa Bay has no reason to do that, though; especially after the season St. Louis had. If anything, they'll want to try and unload Richards because, contrary to what Torterella says, it seems the GM's looking at points, not play.

Basically, why would Tampa Bay want Kovalev (coming off a terrible season), Samsonov (self-explanatory), and a late pick in a weak draft for one of their stars plus an overpaid role player (Andre Roy's the priciest one at 1 million, which isn't that bad). I just don't see this kinda trade happening. The only enticing part of the trade I could see would be Huet, because he could alternate with Holmqvist there like he'd alternate with Halak here, but honestly, I can't see Tampa trading St. Louis for the majority of the underachievers we'd be offering.

now I know thats just some weird theory or fantasy senerio but I am just trying to show some benifts of opening your mind to tradeing Huet.

I just can't see us trading Huet for anything we could actually use. If we traded Huet to Tampa with other players, it'd be for Richards, who, even though he'd probably excel here, wouldn't necessarily benefit us, as we would be left with a hole on the wings and potentially even in goal. If we look to dump Samsonov and one of Bouillon or Dandenault, we've freed up approximately $5.25 million for a player who isn't going to be used and a defenseman who can potentially be replaced. That money can be used to sign a good forward, or to re-sign Souray (for those that want to), or to do whatever.

I just can't see a team looking for a guy like Huet, who's played at most 42 games in a season, especially when the likes of Toskala, Nabokov, Giguere, Bryzgalov, and Fernandez are out there.

Guest TORHABSFAN

That was just a weak example don't put to much stock into it. But I disagree with you on Huets trade value I believe it to be much higher than you do. I also believe that adding him to a packages betters the chance of onloading Sammy and or Kovy.

Guest Banishing Blade

I just don't feel Huet would thrive in a system that's not (close to) 1A/1B, nor do I think a team will be willing to unload a superstar for Huet + Samsonov. When teams like San Jose, Minnesota, and maybe even Anaheim are looking to get rid of goaltenders, I just don't see Huet having much value right now. He's perfect right now to serve as a mentor to Halak for at least a season.

I honestly just don't see the purpose in getting rid of Huet just to be replaced by two young guys with little to no NHL experience. Sure, we might get that amazing star forward, but we also lose someone who is capable of winning games, and are left with Halak / Price to backstop us, neither of which (I can see) can carry an NHL team right now. Yes, Price excelled, but why would we put an NHL workload on his shoulders when he's barely adapted to the AHL?

Wanting to trade Huet, among other things, is one of the few things I'll understand; many people enjoy the philosophy of "letting the kids play," but that has to end at some point. Gainey's building a team for '08-'09, and filling his team with rookies and sophomores right now won't prepare us that team.

I would support trading Huet at the deadline if we're out of the playoff hunt, though.

Let's keep this thread about Huet as there is a thread about the Battle between the pipes in the General Habs Discussion section. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest habs_fan1160

Does anyone think Huet will actually be here this year?

I think his trade value is pretty high right now - he's played good for us and had a spot in the All Star game. I think we should unload him now, while we can get something back for him. We have enough goaltenders - and if Price comes up, he'd probably be the better choice for a starter.

Huet is a good goaltender, and I appreciate all he's done - but he lacks consistancy. He's not great 82 games a season like we need him to be, he's a little bit older now, he doesn't have as much expierence as a starter and remember he's only had two or three good season's in the NHL.

I have a feeling if we hang onto him it'll be like the Theodore situation where we have a goaltender with amazing trade value, that plunges to "OMG we have to give him away for anything we can."

Guest NDSuto

I totally agree! What else could I say?

I also think that Gainey should trade him while he has his best value, we'll regret it if we wait untill the trade dead line or if we lose him for nothing on the UFA market.

I also think that Gainey should trade him while he has his best value, we'll regret it if we wait untill the trade dead line or if we lose him for nothing on the UFA market.

Easier said than done

Which Teams NEED a goalie ?

And those that do, is Huet a better replacement than the one they have now ?

Guest NDSuto

I think LA do need a goalie, maybe Huet could be a good fit in Florida too.

Do you know where we could have the list of every goalie by team?

I think LA do need a goalie, maybe Huet could be a good fit in Florida too.

Do you know where we could have the list of every goalie by team?

florida, yes, but l.a., they need a goalie, but they are paying big bucks to dan cloutier. how about phoenix, columbus, tampa, boston, even toronto?

Guest NDSuto

I think Boston will go on with Thomas for a while and they also have Toivonen who does a great job.

Phoenix are totally in need of a good player at any position, Cujo is not the one they need but they have some average goalie that could work well for them if they had a better defensive.

Brian Boucher and Pascal Leclaire in Colombus are not bad goalies but Huet still is way better than them so it would be a good option, plus the Habs would play him only once a year.

I still belive that Marc Denis can do the job, he did not have a good season, as well as the complete team. Plus Holmwvist did a good job replacing Denis so I don't think they would trade with Montreal, the salary cap will be an other element that won't help them trading with any team.

Toronto believe in Raycroft that responded well this year. He'll have to work on his consitancy but they could make a long way with him. I think the fact that they play the Habs 8 times a year will discouraged them to trade with Montreal.

There's others city we could also think of like St. Louis or Edmonton (Roloson is getting old)

Huet would be a perfect fit for a team with a young goalie who needs an experienced, reliable veteran to share the workload. Huet could start as the team's 1A starter and gradually ease the younger goalie into the starter's role.

That being said, I have absolutely no desire to trade Huet right now unless we get something phenomenal in return. It's not like he's in year one of Theo's monster-size contract. He's our only proven starter, he only has a year left on his contract, and he comes cheap for what he brings. Halak has only played a handful of NHL games. Price, for all his success in junior and the AHL, is completely untested at the NHL level. The idea of starting the season with two unproven young goalies when defense is already a problem and the team has trouble scoring goals makes my hair stand on end. Price will be our starting goalie eventually, but Rome wasn't built in a day. ;)

Huet would be a perfect fit for a team with a young goalie who needs an experienced, reliable veteran to share the workload. Huet could start as the team's 1A starter and gradually ease the younger goalie into the starter's role.

That being said, I have absolutely no desire to trade Huet right now unless we get something phenomenal in return. It's not like he's in year one of Theo's monster-size contract. He's our only proven starter, he only has a year left on his contract, and he comes cheap for what he brings. Halak has only played a handful of NHL games. Price, for all his success in junior and the AHL, is completely untested at the NHL level. The idea of starting the season with two unproven young goalies when defense is already a problem and the team has trouble scoring goals makes my hair stand on end. Price will be our starting goalie eventually, but Rome wasn't built in a day. ;)

True but carey price seems to got used to AHL and he joined in 2 games before the playoffs. He fit in well. Price always fits perfectly in anyteam.

Like you were saying a young goalie needs Huet for experience maybe pitts? cause fleury will be great but hes still a rookie

Guest 1970 Habs

Relax, I was only kidding!

Guest Toulonnais
Huet is a good goaltender, and I appreciate all he's done - but he lacks consistancy. He's not great 82 games a season like we need him to be, he's a little bit older now, he doesn't have as much expierence as a starter and remember he's only had two or three good season's in the NHL.

Huet hasn't played a whole season with the Habs !!!! How can you say "he's not great 82 games a season" ?

Before he got injured in february, he was doing real good and made a very nice All Star Game !!!!

He just helped the team to make illusion for a while !!!!

And the year before, didn't he do well the time he defended the net, leading the CH to the series ????

C'm'on, the fans should support him next season !!!! I'm sure he won't dissapoint ya !!!!

Besides, he'll be a great help for Price !!!!

Guest Handlanger

Many teams need a goalie... the problem is: There a lot of goalies in the market this year. Manny Fernandez is available, Abby is available, Gerber will be made available, Garon is available, Raycroft is gonna be available, and so on.... not that these are all good or great goalies, but as a GM you can get them cheaper than aquiring an average goaltender by trade....

Guest habinto
Huet hasn't played a whole season with the Habs !!!! How can you say "he's not great 82 games a season" ?

Before he got injured in february, he was doing real good and made a very nice All Star Game !!!!

And the year before, didn't he do well the time he defended the net, leading the CH to the series ????

C'm'on, the fans should support him next season !!!! I'm sure he won't dissapoint ya !!!!

I agree that Huet is under appreciated. He played great and was rewarded with the Allstar. There is no way that Huet should be traded at the start of the year. Goaltending is the most important position on a team and there is no need to take risks with this position. Huet is the #1 goalie in Montreal, he will be backed up by Halak. If Price is great in the AHL he may come up later on in the year and if he performs than we could trade Huet near the trade deadline. Even that depends on the where we are in the standing at that time.

Only someone riding the short bus would trade Huet to move up in a weak draft (2007 draft).

Guest NDSuto

This year he played 42 games and was not constant at all. Plus, he had two severe injuries in two years...it surely scares a lot. The fact that he only has one year left on his contract plays against him. If we don't wan't to lose him for nothing and if we want to have something in return, we can't wait for the end of the season when the only thing we could trade are his rights.

Personally, I don't think the Habs have what it takes to make the playoffs next year, so to me it's the best occasion to see what the young guys can bring to us, in this case Price and Halak. The Habs always had success with their goaltender so I don't see what we should fear. I'm not the biggest Price's fan but I do think that he should has his chance before the end of the season. I'd like to see Huet and Halak in Montreal untill the trade dead line then we can relay on Price and Halak to end the season.

Guest NDSuto
Many teams need a goalie... the problem is: There a lot of goalies in the market this year. Manny Fernandez is available, Abby is available, Gerber will be made available, Garon is available, Raycroft is gonna be available, and so on.... not that these are all good or great goalies, but as a GM you can get them cheaper than aquiring an average goaltender by trade....

Except for Fernandez, I think Huet has much more value than the others you named. Any ways, I think that it would be a big mistake if we let Huet leave without even having a little draft pick.

Guest habinto
Except for Fernandez, I think Huet has much more value than the others you named. Any ways, I think that it would be a big mistake if we let Huet leave without even having a little draft pick.

See I don't have a problem not getting a draft pick for Huet if we need him to help the team. Helping the team is valuable just like a draft pick is!

BUT if Price and or Halak step up this year than maybe Huet can be traded at the trade deadline - we cold get a good premium like we did with Rivet.

Guest paul_b
Totally agree, trading Huet is so silly it belongs in silly land and Huet can win now anyway and the future of the crease looks great, why mess it up for more cap space and another samsanov. Huet was the darling of habs fans not long ago and now you want him gone, no wonder players think twice before coming to montreal.

Agreed. We need to hold onto HUET, bring up Halak and give Price a full season with the Bulldogs. Huet can be the guy, he just needs the chance. He needs the ice time, not this 2 games for him, then 2 games for Abby like last year. I know Abby is out the door, but that was my biggest complaint last year. HUET is the #1 guy, so play him like it.

Archived