The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Guy Carbonneau 2007-08

Guest JL

Guy Carbonneau

1994_2.jpg

Position: Head coach

Born in Sept-Îles on March 18, 1960, Guy Carbonneau became the 28th Head Coach in Montreal Canadiens history on May 5, 2006. He had made a second comeback within the Canadiens’ organization on January 14, 2006, as Associate Coach to Bob Gainey.

Starting in 2002-03, Carbonneau was Assistant General Manager for the Dallas Stars, the team with which he put an end to his playing career in July 2000.

In August 2000, he had made his first comeback within the Canadiens’ organization as Supervisor of Prospect Development. In November 2000, he joined the Canadiens’ coaching staff.

Carbonneau had a stellar 19-year career as a centreman in the NHL, winning three Stanley Cups, two with the Canadiens (1986 and 1993) and a last one with the Stars (1999).

The Sept-Iles native played for 13 seasons with the Canadiens, including five as the team’s captain (1989-1994). In Montreal, he won the Frank Selke Trophy on three different occasions (1988, 1989 and 1992) and played in 912 games, 10th highest in team’s history.

Carbonneau scored 221 goals and 326 assists for a total of 547 points. He also played in 161 playoff games with the Canadiens, 5th highest among all Canadiens’ players, and collected 73 points, including 30 goals.

After playing one season with the St. Louis Blues (1994-95) and five with the Dallas Stars, he retired after playing in 1318 games in the NHL and registering 663 points, including 260 goals.

Carbonneau was a Canadiens’ 3rd round pick (44th overall) in 1979. In four seasons with the Chicoutimi Saguenéens, he collected 171 goals and 435 points in 273 games. He had his best season in 1979-80, with 72 goals and 182 points in 72 games, and a berth on the QMJHL 2nd All-Star Team. That same season, he added 24 points, including nine goals in 12 playoff games. Carbonneau renewed his ties with the Saguenéens in 1999 as he became president of the team.

In 2004-05, the QMJHL created a trophy in Guy Carbonneau’s name, trophy awarded to the best defensive forward of the League.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow he had awesome junior stats.During his time as a hab he had really good stats for a defensive forward.A defensive forward who can put up 50 points a season is a real asset to any team.Now if his coaching days are as good as his playing days then I can see him leading the habs to their next Stanley Cup.

Guest CharlottetownHabbies
Wow he had awesome junior stats.During his time as a hab he had really good stats for a defensive forward.A defensive forward who can put up 50 points a season is a real asset to any team.Now if his coaching days are as good as his playing days then I can see him leading the habs to their next Stanley Cup.

Now we have offensive forwards making 4 Mill. who barely score 50.

Guest overlords
Snazzy picture of Carbo !!!!

My mom used to work where carbo and the rest of the habs got their suits. At one point Chris Nilan gave her a puck and they all gave her their autograph. I have a very nice autograph book :D.

Guest electron

I just hope that Carbo doesn't keep taking things personal, and remains objective throughout this season. Last year, he eerily reminded me of Mario Tremblay, and that sent shivers thru me. Here's hoping, that he has learned.

Guest Miltie01

Carbo was a talented offensive player, so obviously the Habs made him a checking center !!!

It kills me when people come here and wax poeticly how Carbo does not know how to handle talented player and doesn't understand offensive hockey.

Nothing is farther from the truth. All the excuses we make for Kovalev...If only he had the right line mates, if only he had the right amount of ice time, if only he was on the top line.....all of them could have been used for Guy Carbonneau. He didn't need to use those excuses, he went about his business and helped the team.

Carbo understands talent, more importantly, he understands the sacrifices that talent sometimes has to make in order to win !!!!

Carbo was a talented offensive player, so obviously the Habs made him a checking center !!!

It kills me when people come here and wax poeticly how Carbo does not know how to handle talented player and doesn't understand offensive hockey.

Nothing is farther from the truth. All the excuses we make for Kovalev...If only he had the right line mates, if only he had the right amount of ice time, if only he was on the top line.....all of them could have been used for Guy Carbonneau. He didn't need to use those excuses, he went about his business and helped the team.

Carbo understands talent, more importantly, he understands the sacrifices that talent sometimes has to make in order to win !!!!

No, no Miltie, you got it all wrong... He forgot and lost all of those qualities when he became head coach! :P:lol:

Please please please dont play the juggle game this season. Let the lines gel a bit instead of trying something new every game.

On the flip side, don't keep a line together for 50+ games when it is clear that they aren't working. ;)

A little more of a balanced approach to line-making is what I want. Don't be afraid to experiment and try new things, but have the vision and courage to stick with your experiments and give them a fair chance.

Guest den0923
On the flip side, don't keep a line together for 50+ games when it is clear that they aren't working. ;)

A little more of a balanced approach to line-making is what I want. Don't be afraid to experiment and try new things, but have the vision and courage to stick with your experiments and give them a fair chance.

What is your idea of a fair chance? 5 games 7, 10 ?

Guest Waiting for Cup 25

I was kinda suprised that Lapierre got cut, but I haven't been following the pre-season too closely. I guess he didn't do that well. Bummer. Who's going to pester Crosby now?

Anyway, let's hope that Carbo learned a lot last year. What to do and what not to do. Here's to 07-08! Let's go Carbo!

Guest jennifer_rocket
I was kinda suprised that Lapierre got cut, but I haven't been following the pre-season too closely. I guess he didn't do that well. Bummer. Who's going to pester Crosby now?

Anyway, let's hope that Carbo learned a lot last year. What to do and what not to do. Here's to 07-08! Let's go Carbo!

Well, the thing is... No matter how much Lapierre pesters Crosby, Crosby is still an elite player who produced points against us, and Lapierre is a 4th line energy guy at this stage of his career. Chipchura, Smolinski, Plekanec. These are the guys who will watch Crosby when given the opportunity, and they will do better than Lapierre will right now. We don't necessarily need someone to butt end him in the belly off of the opening face-off. We need someone to check him effectively. And heck, maybe doing that in a more mannerly fashion won't get Crosby fired up so much?

I like the tone of Carbo's comments and his upbeat view of the team he has to work with. I also like the fact that he mentioned the possibility that all 26 players before the final three cuts could get an opportuity to play this year.

I think this team will surprise quite a few people if Carbo can keep things upbeat and away from negative disciplinary measures.

I'm always keen to see a coach be flexible with d-men that possess offensive skills and can display a positive upside playing as a forward. Will Dandenault be this year's Mark Streit?

In any case this, to me, could prove to be a beneficial and wise move with Streit and Dandenault able to play both wing and defense in a crunch.

As far as I'm concerned Carbo will make use of this option.

One player I'm not to sure about in terms of Carbo's plan is Francis Bouillon. With Brisebois being given the number 4 spot, we could see variations that could include Streit, Dandenault, Gorges and Bouillon as a third pairing.

We could also see Begin, Murray and/or Kostopoulos sitting in the press box at times.

If I'm Carbo, I wouldn't mind having all eight d-men in the line-up. If Pleks plays with Lats and Smoke, then a fourth line of Streit-Chipchura-Dandenault is a defenite possibility.

Another thing I think I'd look at would be playing A. Kostitsyn with Koivu and Ryder, and Higgins with Grabovski and Kovalev. I think carbo will continue to experiment with different line combos throughout the season (probably an understatement I know).

Guest 1970 Habs

I thought this was well known. Shows how old I am. Those were the days when the team and farm system had some strong players.

On his coaching: What I am looking for this year is go communication with the players (which he stated he did not do well at times last year) and actions that build positive team chemistry. Simply stated but not always easily done.

Guest crazyhab

If the habs gets off to a poor start,I think Carbo will be gone.Bobs butts on the line if the habs don't make the playoff again.Good luck Carbo .

Please please please dont play the juggle game this season. Let the lines gel a bit instead of trying something new every game.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't! :lol:

I think Carbo is still delirious from his playing days, he is putting Bresbois on second line with Hammer.

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news...75-67ad1d234791

That was before the Ottawa pre-season game. Notice this part in the article? "Brisebois will be paired with Roman Hamrlik and, if all goes well tonight, they will be Mont-real's No. 2 defence pairing when the season opens Wednesday night in Carolina." Followed by "We'll have to see how he plays against Ottawa, but we'll also have two practices after that and Patrice has a lot of experience," Carbonneau said.

I thought this was well known. Shows how old I am. Those were the days when the team and farm system had some strong players.

:lol: You and I both! :D

To be quite honest, I thought Gainey looked more on his game so to speak when he was both coach and Gm. I wouldn't mind seeing that again if Carbo doesn't work out this season. The team would definitely go above and beyond if the guy who has the power to trade you is calling the shots behind the bench.

But...Carbo has a clean slate in a new season to work with; He's got an injection of youth (Grabovsky, Chipchura and Price) and decent veterans to provide examples for that youth (Hamrlik, Smolisnski, Koivu, etc)...I think you're going to see a much better Montreal Canadiens team this season...One that succeeds with Carbo behind the bench.

I've read a couple articles of late saying that Dandenault will be playing a lot a forward this year. I think if Carbo starts the season by playing dmen that couldn't make the cut on back end at the forward position will be very bad for the team chemistry. I say let the fourth liners play their role and if the dmen are not good enough to play on defense...Trade them!

Archived