The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#6 Tom Kostopoulos 2007-08

Guest JL

Guest Greek Hab

Well, I guess I'll start with the first post in Tom's thread. :P

I just want to wish all the players the best of luck this season. I know I tend to favour Tom alot in my posts, but there is no doubt in my mind that I'm always cheering for the CH first and above all. Tom's presence on this year's roster is a bonus for me. I hope he and the other members of our team send a clear message to the rest of the league, that we are not soft team, and that we all stand up for one another.

Komo, Markov(who has been roughing people up as of late), Begin, Bouillon(if he is still on the team), and Tom hopefully can feed the fire to inspire the rest of the team to be a tough squad.

Bonne saison Les Boys!

and

ZHTO KOΣTOΠOYΛOΣ!!!

Guest Greek Hab

I felt that this Articleneeded to be addressed again, just to remind people that Tom has got the team's back, and that I'm not just over-confident on my gut feeling. This article also touches base on our overall 4th-line-toughness and grit. Also take into mind that our 4th line is fairly good defensively.

Full Steam Ahead

kostopoulos_27-09-07.jpg

MONTREAL – Nothing’s more uncomfortable than having a rock stuck in your shoe. Guy Carbonneau decided to stick three in the Bruins’ skates Thursday night at the Bell Centre.

By: Heather Engel

begin_lapierre_27-09-07.jpg

The Canadiens’ bench boss put together a line that could rival a Red Bull, joining the forces of Steve Begin, Tom Kostopoulos and Maxim Lapierre. Judging by the number of close encounters the Bruins had with the Bell Centre boards, the experiment was a successful one. At the end of the night, the trio dished out 10 hits.

“It’s always fun to play with guys with as much energy as Begin and Lapierre,” said Kostopoulos, who introduced Aaron Ward and Matt Hunwick to his shoulder with a couple of solid checks. “Those two always work really hard. They know how to do the little things well and don’t hold back. You have no choice but to do the same.”

One of the Canadiens’ free agent signings this summer, Kostopoulos came to Begin’s defense after the latter was on the receiving end of a Milan Lucic check. Despite being four inches shorter and 15 pounds lighter than his opponent, the 28-year-old didn’t hesitate before dropping the gloves for a little dance with the Bruins left-winger.

“The concept of a team is important,” explained Kostopoulos. “In this case, I just happened to be quicker than Begin to have a go at it with Lucic, otherwise, he would have done it. One thing is for sure, we have to stick together.”

Lapierre was also at ease skating with a couple of guys whose style of play echoes his own.

“Playing with them, it gives you a whole different perspective to the game,” said Lapierre. “When you’re surrounded by guys who are constantly working hard and always looking to finish their checks, it makes for a more intense game.”

The 22-year-old center was happy with his performance after his coach expressed his wish for a little more.

“It went better than the last game, that’s for sure,” admitted the Montreal native, who was minus-3 in three games before Thursday’s contest. “Our line played well and we were in their zone almost the entire time. Aside from a few times in the second period, we were always on their backs.”

The message was loud and clear. The Senators will be the next ones to face the music, and the boards, Saturday night in Ottawa.

Guest KovalevMTL

I know it was preseason but I didnt hear Toms name that much. Not at all actually. Even tho I passed out a few times, lol. I really dont know much about Kostopoulos. I hope he fits his role and enforces his role and makes a name for himself during the season. And when teams play us they'll be thinking "Tom Kostopoulos is out there guys, He's gonna Kostopoulos in our tracks".

Guest Greek Hab

Nice!!! Tom is going to be on the 3rd line tonight.

Latendresse - Plekanec - Kostopoulos

I can't wait for tonight!!!!!! Beer is in the fridge, big screen tv has been dusted, and my heart is pounding with excitement!

GO HABS GO!!!!!!

Guest CanadianMike

I can't wait for tonight!!!!!! Beer is in the fridge, big screen tv has been dusted, and my heart is pounding with excitement!

GO HABS GO!!!!!!

I hope he scores for you. (takes the puck and during his interview dedicates it to you Greek Hab :lol: )

GO HABS GO!!!!!!

i hope it means more icetime for him, not the other way around ;)

I like to think that I had reasonable expectations on Kostopoulos but I'll admit that he's surpassed them all. He was fast, good on the forecheck and even did a good job killing penalties. He was third on the team in icetime amongst forwards with 15:54 minutes, lead the team in hits with 5 and managed 2 blocked shots! :blink:

Guest Greek Hab
I like to think that I had reasonable expectations on Kostopoulos but I'll admit that he's surpassed them all. He was fast, good on the forecheck and even did a good job killing penalties. He was third on the team in icetime amongst forwards with 15:54 minutes, lead the team in hits with 5 and managed 2 blocked shots! :blink:

I guess you can say he gave 154% tonight. ;)

Keep it up!

Thanks for pointing that out above, again this isnt someone i noticed much, maybe because i dont know his number #6 a lucky one of mine, now that i know that i will keep my eye on him next game :)

Im glad he is receiving a positve response,

Guest Greek Hab

A quote from the pre-game Article from the Canadiens.com website.

"A return home for Kostopoulos: It’ll be a special night for winger Tom Kostopoulos, who grew up in Mississauga, a few kilometers west of Toronto. Having spent the last couple of years on the west coast, the 28-year-old will get the chance to play in front of family and friends."

I'll be looking out for that! Hope to see some blue and white in the stands...that is, blue and white of the Greek flag :lol:

A quote from the pre-game Article from the Canadiens.com website.

"A return home for Kostopoulos: It’ll be a special night for winger Tom Kostopoulos, who grew up in Mississauga, a few kilometers west of Toronto. Having spent the last couple of years on the west coast, the 28-year-old will get the chance to play in front of family and friends."

I'll be looking out for that! Hope to see some blue and white in the stands...that is, blue and white of the Greek flag :lol:

good thing your sentence was rather short, you got me worried for a fraction of a second there :lol:

Guest Greek Hab

Well I think Tom had a less than average game tonight, but showed some positive in the attacking zone, by crashing the net. Smolinski is much to point to for who led that line on the attack. Although Tom was a -1 vs. the Pens...that 1st goal was completely *****, with Crosby knocking Carey over.

Tom also got a shot on net tonight from the blue line, just to kill some time, and almost gave a nice pass to Smolinski across the ice for a shot on net. I really do think Tom should be on the 4th line. He is a shutdown man...and I think it would suit the team better if Mathieu, who has been surprisingly good to move up with Smokes to the 3rd. And possibly Begin, if Gui continues his confusing play.

If that were to happen (4th line becoming the 3rd line), perhaps a Lapierre - Chipchura - Kostopoulos line would be a good combination. What do you think?

P.S.

Great read IhateToronto...I hope Tom shows better gameplay in the coming future. O, and I...hate...Toronto...also :P

You need role players and he's one. He's definitely not hurting the team and he's the only toughness with have out there aside from Komisarek who must stay on the ice. He has his place in the line-up game in, game out.

Guest CanadianMike

He is better than I expected, but we can't afford to have him play every game (we have Begin) and we need to play our young guns! Sitting him after 3 games isn't bad.

Guest Greek Hab
I'm sorry Greek Hab, but I think it is Kosto's turn to have a turn in the pressbox (and make space for Grabs for Sat's game).

Yea, I was expecting something like that to happen. But while Tom is sitting and pondering in the press-box on how to get better, I hope Carbo is doing the same to know how to properly use his shutdown-enforcer.

Also! If Latendresse does not show promise until the end of this month, something needs to be done. I at least want to see 3 points minimum from him.

Stats

Kostopoulos GP(3) G(0) A(0) +/-(-3) PIM (0) Shots (4) yes.gif

Latendresse GP(3) G(0) A(0) +/-(-2) PIM(4) Shots(0) uhuh.gif

Guest CanadianMike
Yea, I was expecting something like that to happen. But while Tom is sitting and pondering in the press-box on how to get better, I hope Carbo is doing the same to know how to properly use his shutdown-enforcer.

Also! If Latendresse does not show promise until the end of this month, something needs to be done. I at least want to see 3 points minimum from him.

Stats

Kostopoulos GP(3) G(0) A(0) +/-(-3) PIM (0) Shots (4) yes.gif

Latendresse GP(3) G(0) A(0) +/-(-2) PIM(4) Shots(0) uhuh.gif

oh yes, for sure..agree!

Archived