The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#14 Tomas Plekanec 2007-08

jl-1

I like it though because it's energizing for the team. Even if he doesn't get a point on the play hes usually flying across the ice to his teammate and jumping at them. Koivu is similar in that way. The rest of the team is a bit more relaxed after a goal is scored generally. Higgens will go crazy on occasion.

Guest overlords
I like it though because it's energizing for the team. Even if he doesn't get a point on the play hes usually flying across the ice to his teammate and jumping at them. Koivu is similar in that way. The rest of the team is a bit more relaxed after a goal is scored generally. Higgens will go crazy on occasion.

Perezhogin used to lose it too lol. Kosty will scream like a lunatic (has done it on numerous occasion). PLeks always seems happy for whoever scores. Shows good team chemistry when they are not only happy for the team goal, but for their teammate's goal.

Perezhogin used to lose it too lol. Kosty will scream like a lunatic (has done it on numerous occasion). PLeks always seems happy for whoever scores. Shows good team chemistry when they are not only happy for the team goal, but for their teammate's goal.

Yeah I truely like this guy. He seems to be a diamond in the ruff. Most people thought he would be a career third line player, but hes been putting up very good numbers more comparable to a second line center. I guess the Habs do draft some good players once in a while.

Guest RussianRifle: AK-27
Yeah I truely like this guy. He seems to be a diamond in the ruff. Most people thought he would be a career third line player, but hes been putting up very good numbers more comparable to a second line center. I guess the Habs do draft some good players once in a while.

He plays a no nonsense style of game that is characterized by speed and hockey sense. I attribute much of his newfound success with Kovalev to his hockey IQ as well as familiarity. He is fairly adept at reading his linemates with and without the puck and I find he is becoming increasingly dangerous behind the net. He jumps into the cycle game well also.

Guest muskeg

plekanec has got me wishing i could see into the future to see what he'll become in a few years...honestly though, that urge isn't as great as the excitement of watching it happen!

plekanec has got me wishing i could see into the future to see what he'll become in a few years...honestly though, that urge isn't as great as the excitement of watching it happen!

As I started reading your post, the last part of it was exactly the response I would have had if you didn't write it yourself ;)

Guest thefooligan5

I am just starting to notice hot great of a passer Plekanec is. Not exluding the wonderful pass to Chipchura which set up his goal, I recall another time last night in which Pleks grabs the back around the defensive blue line and immediately turned and fired the puck through two defensemen to a hab (name escapes me) at the offensive blue-line and the player didn't even have to move his stick. It was a perfect pass which led to a wonderful scoring chance (or maybe even a goal .. I am seriously blanking on this one). I Tampa announcers were tremendously impressed with the pass as well. He is a much better centre than I think a lot of people give him credit for. His progress over the past year has been amazing and I hope the habs hold onto him for a long time as they are short on top-line centres and he is so young it would be criminal to let him go (provided we don't get a better centre in return).

In the low scoring NHL it exactly what you want out of your second line centre.

:blink::)

To me, if your second-line centre produces 50 points, he's done his job. Anything above that is gravy. :)

But let's be honest: given the season Kovalev is having, and given Kostitsyn's recent offensive explosion, Plekanec is, for all intents and purposes, our first-line centre right now.

Guest stevesaku
:blink::)

To me, if your second-line centre produces 50 points, he's done his job. Anything above that is gravy. :)

But let's be honest: given the season Kovalev is having, and given Kostitsyn's recent offensive explosion, Plekanec is, for all intents and purposes, our first-line centre right now.

yes, he now centres our first line. he has been our best centre this whole season.

Guest jfk0202

Nice game...didn't get a star but his linemates did hehe. That's ok Kosti deserved it for that move and Kovy played like a star.

After 41 games, Pleks now has 36 points. On pace for 72pts. Wouldn't that be unreal!!!! Go pleks!!! Got my fingers crossed this line continues and...

Kovy 76pts

Pleks 72pts

A.Kosti 46pts (If he hadn't played so much last year, he might of been top 5 rookies)

Guest LarryRobinson
NEVER! break up the kovy-pleks-kosty line!

True!!!!

I havent felt this confident in a line in a long time. As for Pleks, you know he's getting the job done when he earns a spot on my fantasy team. :D

Guest RussianRifle: AK-27

Just some food for thought.

I was watching the Dallas/Minnesota game last night at work and, being a habs fan, I paid particular attention to Mike Ribeiro. Watching him play, I couldn't help but think that he plays very much like Plekanec. He's a little finer and a little farther along in his game, but I noticed striking similarities. While Pleks seems to have more speed, they both skate the same way. Ribeiro seems to make a living out of coasting around in the offensive zone, twisting and turning and dishing off a soft, short pass. Pleks uses the saucer pass much more, especially to catch Kostistyn blazing down the wing, but their passing for the most part almost seems identical. Ribeiro's game is played south of the hashmarks on both sides of the ice, like plekanec and he is very adept at holding onto the puck, curling around and gently threading a pass to a teammate. Both seems to minimize stickhandling with the puck, preferring instead to push it, and use relatively straight sticks.

Guest overlords
Just some food for thought.

I was watching the Dallas/Minnesota game last night at work and, being a habs fan, I paid particular attention to Mike Ribeiro. Watching him play, I couldn't help but think that he plays very much like Plekanec. He's a little finer and a little farther along in his game, but I noticed striking similarities. While Pleks seems to have more speed, they both skate the same way. Ribeiro seems to make a living out of coasting around in the offensive zone, twisting and turning and dishing off a soft, short pass. Pleks uses the saucer pass much more, especially to catch Kostistyn blazing down the wing, but their passing for the most part almost seems identical. Ribeiro's game is played south of the hashmarks on both sides of the ice, like plekanec and he is very adept at holding onto the puck, curling around and gently threading a pass to a teammate. Both seems to minimize stickhandling with the puck, preferring instead to push it, and use relatively straight sticks.

I noticed some of those similarities as well. Pleks has a bit more grit and is more sound defensively though. But ribs can thread those passes through traffic like nobody's business. I think at this point i'd rather pleks, but it's annoying that ribs keeps making gainey look so bad :P

Guest swansee
I noticed some of those similarities as well. Pleks has a bit more grit and is more sound defensively though. But ribs can thread those passes through traffic like nobody's business. I think at this point i'd rather pleks, but it's annoying that ribs keeps making gainey look so bad :P

The other difference is Plekanec is much more disciplined and consistent, he works very hard all the time.

Can't figure out Ribeiro either but then again Czerkawski lead the league in scoring for much of one season but we got little of that when he was in Montreal.

Archived