The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#20 Bryan Smolinski 2007-08

jl-1

talk about a player stepping it up at a great time.

I think he read the boards :P

keep it up Smoke.

Nah, I think he finally realized that if he doesn't start producing and working hard, he'll either be making the league minimum somewhere else next year or playing in Europe. ;)

Kudos to Smoke for a strong performance tonight.

Guest Onzeee

he is the level headed vet between 2 smash brothers lol

but its nice to see Brian playing to his potential this late in the season, and one thing is for sure if he is givin a bit of time to get a shot off he can snipe

Guest Habs_Mania

I'm not quite ready to jump on the Smoke bandwagon just yet. I will admit that he's been playing up to his potentional (since he was last called out of the pressbox) which isn't necessarily getting offensive production but digging hard in the corners and winning faceoffs and making life difficult for the opposition's offense. When he is on his game, he reminds me of a crane swinging two wrecking balls (begin and tk) around.

Guest jennifer_rocket

Definitely picking up his play a little bit.

I hope he can continue the trend into the playoffs, and play some monster games for us when it counts the most.

Guest 1970 Habs
Great performance tonight. Although he's been playing pretty solid for a little while now, just good to see it show up on paper. He's seemed to find a nice fit between Begin and TK.

Definitely picking up his play a little bit.

I hope he can continue the trend into the playoffs, and play some monster games for us when it counts the most.

Well in the faceoff circle I think he is more than a little warmed up.

Since 12 February:

3 games under 50%

8 games between 50-59%

4 games betwwen 60-69%

3 games between 70-79%

If that is not hot I do not know what is. :lol:

Well in the faceoff circle I think he is more than a little warmed up.

Since 12 February:

3 games under 50%

8 games between 50-59%

4 games betwwen 60-69%

3 games between 70-79%

If that is not hot I do not know what is. :lol:

I don't think anyone would disagree that Smoke has been hot in the faceoff circle for quite a while now, but at $2 million, one expects more from him than just winning draws: work ethic, puck control, will to win the board battles down low, and the odd goal here and there. And he has only started to elevate those elements of his game recently.

Guest jennifer_rocket
Smokes/Begin/Stopper will be key in the playoffs. They will need to keep playing like they have been playing the last two games.

They are definitely playing very well together. Yesterday against the Leafs they had the opposition bottled up consistently in the offensive zone. Great work!

Guest fansince1975

How he has played recently is why BG signed him this past summer. Scoring goals is a bonus. Keys are winning face-offs, shutting down top line and killing penalties. Everything else is gravy.

Any combination of the following players with Smoke at center should be a good shutdown line and play with energy. Begin, Kostopolous, Streit, Dandenault, Lapierre, Stewart, Chips, S.Kostitsyn, Higgins

Some of these combinations would have offensive ability, some would be giant pests, and some would just be great defensively. With a long playoff run. Minor injuries will happen. Therefore the shutdown line will also change but defensive ability and defensive skill will be key for this line. No floaters or poor defensive players allowed.

Smolinksi took some heat during the season for his performance and I will agree it could have been better. However looking at his stats after the regular season was over compared to Bonk, the guy he replaced Smolinski didn't do too bad. In fact her did pretty good :)

Smolinksi GP: 64

Goals - 8

Assits - 17

Points - 25

FO% 51.8

+/- = -6

Bonk Gp 79

Goals - 14

Assists - 15

Points - 29

FO% 52

+/- = -31

Bonk has a slight, slight edge in the faceoff circle and has 4 more points. Smolinski has 4 less points but played in 15 fewer games. The -6 is not the greatest stat for a defensive forward but it is still alot better then Bonks -31. Also Bonk was given 233.09 PP minutes this past season and had 6 goals. Smolinki? 37:43 minutes and managed 1 goal.

I thought at the start of the season whe should have kept Bonk and I know there were fans who thought the same but but looking at their stats now I have to admit signing Smolinski was a good idea. Given the fact he has been doing quite well this past month in the Faceoff circle, how he and the 4th line are coming together and that he has the most playoff experience on the team this guy is a great asset to the team at this time of the year.

Smolinski's stats are respectable only because he really elevated his play over the past few weeks, including his faceoff percentage. While I'm very happy to finally be seeing the player I thought we were getting last summer, it doesn't make up for the other three-quarters of the season in which he was, franky, quite subpar.

I do agree that his experience should be useful in the playoffs.

Guest Habs_Mania

that was a big goal he got to break boston's back. his solid play continues from the final stretch and into the post season. keep it up smoke. i don't think i have ever seen a fire in his eyes quite like he has lately. i think he really wants it.

Guest jennifer_rocket

All shall be forgiven should he continue to play good out there.

Does anyone know his faceoff percentage from last night?

50%! Not bad. :)

Archived