The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens

#20 Bryan Smolinski 2007-08

jl-1

I don't think BG would sign Smoke. But this is based on the hope of landing Sundin. With Sundin no need or room for Smoke.

If BG does not land Sundin does he then look for a veteran center that is under $1.5 million for one season. Press box type of player that could see occasional action on 3rd or 2nd line depending on injury situation.

I would personally GUESS that BG will go after a more offensive or bigger center if Montreal cannot sign Sundin in two weeks. This would eliminate Smoke from the equation.

I don't think BG would sign Smoke. But this is based on the hope of landing Sundin. With Sundin no need or room for Smoke.

If BG does not land Sundin does he then look for a veteran center that is under $1.5 million for one season. Press box type of player that could see occasional action on 3rd or 2nd line depending on injury situation.

I would personally GUESS that BG will go after a more offensive or bigger center if Montreal cannot sign Sundin in two weeks. This would eliminate Smoke from the equation.

I agree with you but you never know. No one has signed Smokes up to now and if Sundin doesn't come our way then I'd consider Smokes but at a reduced price of about a million a year.

I agree with you but you never know. No one has signed Smokes up to now and if Sundin doesn't come our way then I'd consider Smokes but at a reduced price of about a million a year.

I'd consider him, although I think we may be better off looking at the trade route.

I'd consider him, although I think we may be better off looking at the trade route.

But who are u willing to trade in order to get someone in return, And then if your only willing to trade our baggage, how do you expect to receive someone Great in return..

Anyways... I dont know if he will be back if he does come back then no problem, if he doesnt then no problem..

I'd hope he does land somewhere though

But who are u willing to trade in order to get someone in return, And then if your only willing to trade our baggage, how do you expect to receive someone Great in return..

Anyways... I dont know if he will be back if he does come back then no problem, if he doesnt then no problem..

I'd hope he does land somewhere though

I'd be willing to trade picks and prospects. I wouldn't expect someone great, but if we can get someone who is good for 50 points, it may be worth giving up something.

I'd be willing to trade picks and prospects. I wouldn't expect someone great, but if we can get someone who is good for 50 points, it may be worth giving up something.

The problem with the 50 point guys that makes GMs hesitate in trading them is the potential. The thought process is, if they got 50 this year, maybe they'll get 60 next year ;)

Regardless, 50 point guys are making alot more than they deserve nowadays. Heck, everyone is making more than they deserve.

I guess I'm in a grumpy mood :lol:

Ugh... Is Smolinski's thread STILL on our board's roster section? <_<:lol:

I really, really hope Gainey doesn't consider bringing back Smolinski. I know the team needs a plan B down the middle because Sundin doesn't appear ready to come to Montreal, and Chipchura might stumble badly, but Smolinski is NOT the plan B we need. He played poorly ALL season long last year, except for one round in the post-season. We need someone more consistent on our club.

The problem with the 50 point guys that makes GMs hesitate in trading them is the potential. The thought process is, if they got 50 this year, maybe they'll get 60 next year ;)

Regardless, 50 point guys are making alot more than they deserve nowadays. Heck, everyone is making more than they deserve.

I guess I'm in a grumpy mood :lol:

Well I'm talking a 50 point player in his 30s, not a guy with tons of potential left. Possibly a guy on the downside of his career. Not to bring this up again, but that was why I liked when someone posted about Lang: he's the type of player I think we could use and might come at a reasonable price. Now even he made 4 million: not cheap, but we have the cap space, may as well use it to fill a pressing need.

Well I'm talking a 50 point player in his 30s, not a guy with tons of potential left. Possibly a guy on the downside of his career. Not to bring this up again, but that was why I liked when someone posted about Lang: he's the type of player I think we could use and might come at a reasonable price. Now even he made 4 million: not cheap, but we have the cap space, may as well use it to fill a pressing need.

I understand all that Graeme. But what's another 50 point guy going to do for us. We had seven 50 point guys last year to lead the NHL. We'll probably have seven again this year, maybe eight. We are in desperate need of someone that can take over and dominate a game. We haven't had that guy since Guy Lafleur. I'm talking about a Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, SUNDIN ;)

My whole point is that we're strong enough as it is without another 50 point guy. We lost Streit, we gained Tanguay. If we can't get that elusive elite player can we get a 30 point guy at 2-3 mil that can win faceoffs and be overpowering. I feel that would be a good alternative.

I understand all that Graeme. But what's another 50 point guy going to do for us. We had seven 50 point guys last year to lead the NHL. We'll probably have seven again this year, maybe eight. We are in desperate need of someone that can take over and dominate a game. We haven't had that guy since Guy Lafleur. I'm talking about a Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, SUNDIN ;)

My whole point is that we're strong enough as it is without another 50 point guy. We lost Streit, we gained Tanguay. If we can't get that elusive elite player can we get a 30 point guy at 2-3 mil that can win faceoffs and be overpowering. I feel that would be a good alternative.

I'm not going to get into this again, you read my posts in the Gainey thread. You know about me not being excited about the possibility of Lapierre centering our second line and all that?

I'm not going to get into this again, you read my posts in the Gainey thread. You know about me not being excited about the possibility of Lapierre centering our second line and all that?

I did read and I know how you feel. I just disagree with spending 4 plus million for a veteran center that's only going to put up 50 points for us. It's really too bad that Smokes can't be as consistent during the regular season as he was in the playoffs, if he was, then our problems would be solved.

I know alot of people disagree but as a "plan B" that everyone is talking about, I would take back Smokes with a cut in pay. Around a million a season would be perfect for us right now. Then we wait and see if an opportunity arises where we can pick up someone via a trade when the season starts.

It's really too bad that Smokes can't be as consistent during the regular season as he was in the playoffs, if he was, then our problems would be solved.

Smolinski got off to a great start against the Bruins, getting a goal in his first game, and then an assist in the 2nd & 3rd games. After that, he went pointless in the last 9 games. I think he reverted to his regular season form & I would be very surprised if he is resigned.

Money. And Sundin. Possible trade for another center.

If no Sundin then at the right price Smoke could be a good spare player.

He played for $2 million last season. I would guess $1.5 million would be his asking price. Is this too high? Maybe but if you have no better choice as spare center and cap space does it really matter if it $1.5 or $1 million?

I did read and I know how you feel. I just disagree with spending 4 plus million for a veteran center that's only going to put up 50 points for us.

I don't really see why you care. The actual money only Boivin and Gillette should be too conerned with, it really doesn't affect us. And what's the point of the extra cap space? It just sits there, it doesn't score us goals, it doesn't play well defensively, it won't put up 50 points, it is just .... there. Now maybe if Gainey has a plan for that cap space (ie. Schneider or something) then I'd have to think long and hard about getting a center such as Lang. But otherwise we have too much cap space, way more than we need for injury callups or a deadline day deal. Plus we could easily clear Dandenault's salary at this point.

I don't really see why you care. The actual money only Boivin and Gillette should be too conerned with, it really doesn't affect us. And what's the point of the extra cap space? It just sits there, it doesn't score us goals, it doesn't play well defensively, it won't put up 50 points, it is just .... there. Now maybe if Gainey has a plan for that cap space (ie. Schneider or something) then I'd have to think long and hard about getting a center such as Lang. But otherwise we have too much cap space, way more than we need for injury callups or a deadline day deal. Plus we could easily clear Dandenault's salary at this point.

Again, I see your point. The only reason I care for the cap space is just in case something comes up during the season. What if an opportunity arises that we can trade for a player that wants out of another team and we don't have the money to throw at him just because we decided to spend the money foolishly and throw it at a player that didn't deserve it.

Again, I see your point. The only reason I care for the cap space is just in case something comes up during the season. What if an opportunity arises that we can trade for a player that wants out of another team and we don't have the money to throw at him just because we decided to spend the money foolishly and throw it at a player that didn't deserve it.

Very unlikely it happens to that degree. If we took a 4 million player, we'd still have a fair bit of space, plus Dandenault can always be waived and go to minors if left unclaimed. Plus, salaries become 'less' as the season wears on. At the deadline, we can get a 9 million player with only 3 million cap space. I guarantee if we start the season with the current roster, we wont end the season at the cap.

Very unlikely it happens to that degree. If we took a 4 million player, we'd still have a fair bit of space, plus Dandenault can always be waived and go to minors if left unclaimed. Plus, salaries become 'less' as the season wears on. At the deadline, we can get a 9 million player with only 3 million cap space. I guarantee if we start the season with the current roster, we wont end the season at the cap.

Maybe you're right, maybe we should give the money and get someone. Time will tell.

Archived