The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens

#20 Bryan Smolinski 2007-08

jl-1

Guest CanadianMike

Hearing people call in to Team990 and listening to Tony on Team990 this guy should have never been approached by the Habs. It seems fans can't get over his contract (no trade).

Maybe he shouldn't play every game?

Guest 1970 Habs
I think it was in an article I saw that Smolinski has only been allowed to go unbenched because the team wants to send a positive message out to other UFA's. It's a smart long term move IMO, but it may be hurting us a lot in the short term.

I would love to read that article, because it is nuts to do so.

I find it difficult to believe that it is actually happening in either case because if a player is not performing you just hurt the team by sending a negative message to the rest of the players.

I am not slamming you Overlords (as the messenger).

I am slamming whoever wrote the bloody article.

Guest MTL_HABS_24
He played awful once again. Another Samsonov.....

Unfortunately for Gainey - and the team, AND us - that seems to be the case. It must eat at GMs when they sign a player for the things he has done in the past, having no other insight, and then have that player flop in a major way.

I always thought of Smoke as a good two-way player, responsible defensively and possessing a goal scorer's touch.

Sadly, his skills seemed to have deteriorated rapidly once he signed on the dotted line.

Man, THAT's what is SO wrong with guaranteed contracts in hockey. No accountability, whatsoever.

Guest overlords
How is it his fault if we agreed to a contract with him? Am I missing something here? :blink:

You misunderstood and jumped in at the end of a point :P. By " taking advantage at our position with UFA's" i did not mean ( this is what i think you understood) that we needed people to sign here. By UFA situation i mean that we really can't afford to send down another fresh UFA signing to the pressbox so early in the season ( even though he deserves it). We can't afford to let our image get any worse with UFA's, that's all.

I would love to read that article, because it is nuts to do so.

I find it difficult to believe that it is actually happening in either case because if a player is not performing you just hurt the team by sending a negative message to the rest of the players.

I am not slamming you Overlords (as the messenger).

I am slamming whoever wrote the bloody article.

lol, don't worry 1970, i don't offend too easily ;). I'm really trying to find the article because more than one person has asked me about it, it could have been from habsinsideout but i doubt it. I'll get back to you as soon as i find it.

He played awful once again. Another Samsonov.....

What exactly were people expecting of Smolinksi ?

He's not a goal scorer

And you have to remember , whenever a player plays in Montreal his points total seems to always drop

Sometimes I think people expected wayyyyyyyyy too much out of him

He's not a goal scorer

And you have to remember , whenever a player plays in Montreal his points total seems to always drop

Couldn't have said it better myself.

He's not a goal scorer

People have to expect something of him if he's going to be playing on the first line tomorrow.

That's not HIS choice. ;)

Oh of course it isn't.

I just wish Carbonneau wouldn't put him in this situation where the chances are more likely than not that he's going to fail on that line.

Guest rosalie52
they were booing everyone by the end of the game ;) I wouldn't put much stock into it, once he scores a a goal or gets an assist most of the fans will be cheering him again

I hope so 'cause I wish him the best.

He's not a goal scorer

I'm not unhappy with his his production, I mean whatever, but what I am unhappy about is he hasn't been great defensively, he hasn't been winning faceoffs (48% I think), he just hasn't done the little things we brought him into do, that's all I was expecting out of him, and so far, imo, he hasn't delivered.

I'm not unhappy with his his production, I mean whatever, but what I am unhappy about is he hasn't been great defensively, he hasn't been winning faceoffs (48% I think), he just hasn't done the little things we brought him into do, that's all I was expecting out of him, and so far, imo, he hasn't delivered.

Face-off percentage is below my expectations as well. If he could win 55% and do nothing more than I think people would be a bit easier on him.

Archived