Guest JL

# 27 - Alex Kovalev

8458529.jpg

Position: Right Wing

Shoots: Left

Height: 6' 2"

Weight: 222

Born: 24 Feb '73

Born in: Togliatti, Russian Federation (former_USSR)

MTL Season: 3rd

NHL Season: 14th

Drafted: NY Rangers' 1st round choice, 15th overall, in 1991

Acquired: Acquired from NY Rangers on March 2nd, 2004 in return for Jozef Balej and a 2nd round draft pick in 2004 / Signed a four-year contract on August 3, 2005

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest jennifer_rocket

Oh my God, Kovalev's thread isn't leading in post count...! Shocking! I wonder if Kovalev's thread or Brisebois' thread will lead by the end of the season in number of posts? It's a tough one to predict!

Go Kovalev! All we're asking for is 60 points!

Guest habs_fan1160

I was reading in the Hockey News magainze about Bob Gainey having trouble with his GM position in Montreal and they said that Kovy doesn't want to be in Montreal and it shows with his play.

Maybe that's his whole problem with lack of effort, if he doesn't want to be playing here why would he play hard?

why wouldnt he ask for a trade then?

so his first season here when he scored 65 points in 69 games, was because he wanted to be here, and last year he suddenly decided he didn't want to be here? Sounds like Hockeynews doesn't have a clue what they are talking about.

Kovalev had a bad season, he is older, slowing down, but was largely inconsistent and didn't mesh well with his linemates for nearly half the season. This season will either prove he is on the tail end of his career, or that it was just a bad season he would like to forget. It has nothing to do with him wanting to or not wanting to be here, because based on his pre-season, he wants to be here again this year by looks of it if we follow Hockeynews logic.

Guest jzun00
I was reading in the Hockey News magainze about Bob Gainey having trouble with his GM position in Montreal and they said that Kovy doesn't want to be in Montreal and it shows with his play.

Maybe that's his whole problem with lack of effort, if he doesn't want to be playing here why would he play hard?

OMG can we reserve judgment until he atleast plays one shift?

Guest jennifer_rocket
OMG can we reserve judgment until he atleast plays one shift?

For real. The season hasn't even started. We should be taking this opportunity to give everyone a fresh start, offer optmisitic opinions, and so forth to coincide with everyone's new player thread. Ya know, new player thread, fresh start, good times!?

Guest Oatmeal777

I bet he wants to be here more than anywhere. He's a proud guy and he knows that Montreal is a city that shows it's appreciation for talent with a louder cheer than any other. Remember when he was blowing kisses to the crowd in the first game? Hahaha

Guest keithman

I'm all about fresh starts, and I really hope he can play well this year. The Habs need him. I won't knock on him....I have to see him play. he'll either be praised or tazed.

Guest 1970 Habs
Everyone has a bad year, He looked injured to me last year, he just needs a strong start to get things going.

And a stronger work ethic and positive attitude. He seems to have that in the the Pre-season.

I don't know what to expect from Kovalev anymore, so I think anything he can bring to the team beyond what he did last year will be a bonus. I think it's time for the younger players to pick up the slack for him and Koivu. Koivu especially has been carrying the torch for so long, through good and bad, that I think he has every right to expect the youngsters to provide a much-deserved assist.

Guest voicemajor2000

Alex is a quality player, and is a good person. I hope he can get his on ice stuff straightened out, and that his off ice stuff will be non-existent, except for his charity work. I know he can be a good top sixer for us, and a point producer. Good luck kovy... lead us to the promised land!

Guest fansince1975

I hope that Kovalev plays like he did in pre-season. It would be really nice if the speed and young offensive talent in Grabs and Kostitsyn work well with Kovalev. This line could certainly cause nightmares for opposition defence and goalie. Lots of speed and with the great shot that Kovalev has I would suspect that most of the goals will come from Kovalev. It would be really nice if Kovalev averaged a point a game. I think he can do it.

Guest habs_fan1160

I really hope he can find his legs out there this season and the best season he's physically able to have.

In all fairness though, a lot of his lack of production last season was based on the fact that he was put on lines that he didn't click with. You can put any player on a line and if there's no chemestry on that line they're going to struggle.

But I hope he can have a much improved season this year, we all know he's not a crappy player and he does have potential so hopefully we'll get to see some of that potential this season.

I really think we have nothing to worry about with Alex this year. He is a fantastic talent in the league and with the linemates that he is being lined with, we are going to see him at his best. and this year he is healthy! that is a hugh bonus.

I am truly crossing my fingers in hope that he becomes the mentor I always hoped he would be to our young Russians/Belorussians. A positive example, not the other way around, as he could have such a great influence on them and their future in North America!

Archived