The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#40 Maxim Lapierre 2007-08

Guest JL

Guest kjdriedger

With Begin on the team, I am not sure if he is needed nor am I sure if he deserves a spot. For some unknown reason, I am not confident that he will develop more as a player. He was average when returned to the Bulldogs for the play-off run but does have a knack for coming up big in big games. With so many guys similar to him on team, i would rather see an offensive rookie get a shot - as it seems this year' team once again will lack some offensive firepower.

Guest habs_fan1160

Lappy has earned a spot with the team, he's energetic, he's not afraid to get dirty and he's not too shabby on the boards.

He brings a lot of energy to the ice, he's a great instigater, which will lead to the other team taking penalty's.

I'm not going to be overly surprised if he's in the line-up this year, I hear he's very well liked by Carbs.

"Lapierre has been sent to the minors." - Team990(Stock Exchange)

Huh. If this is indeed true, I applaud Carbo for thinking outside the box and not letting seniority get in the way of icing the best possible team. Lapierre hasn't had a good training camp, and Chipchura looks to be NHL ready.

Guest CanadianMike

wow! I guess even if his face/name has been everywhere (new jerseys/jamboree ads with Lats, his tshirts are going fast at the souvenir shop etc..) Habs really showed that you have a bad camp you get sent down.

work hard Max...you will be back. This guy grew on me. Didn't care much about him when he first joined the team.

It seems as though Lapierre came into camp with the impression that a spot was his...Good to see Carbo making the right decision (although difficult).

I like toughness but I'm not a fan of the agitator type who won't drop the gloves...Laps is a hard worker though so he will probably find himself back in Montreal sooner rather than later.

Guest Brando
It seems as though Lapierre came into camp with the impression that a spot was his...Good to see Carbo making the right decision (although difficult).

I like toughness but I'm not a fan of the agitator type who won't drop the gloves...Laps is a hard worker though so he will probably find himself back in Montreal sooner rather than later.

I feel the same way. Personally, the Crosby spearing incident is right up their with my memories of Ribs writhing in pain on the ice then laughing afterwards as me least favourite Habs moments ever. I think LaPierre has the makings of a solid 4th liner in the future. But he needs to be more than an agitator to succeed - in his first 4 games he showed he has offensive potential - he needs to work on that!

Guest RedLightRacicot

There is just no room for him at the moment if it's at the expense of what we need which is a scorer. Hopefully Grabs can contribute more offensively that Lapierre would have and Chips just out played Lapierre in every category. His skills are expendable at the moment!

"On m'a dit que je devais aller à prendre à jouer à l'aile, tant à gauche qu'à droite, et que la Ligue américaine était l'endroit tout désigné pour cela", a indiqué Lapierre.

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/237751.html

He's been told that he was sent down to learn to play wing, both sides.

my wife is sad Lapierre got sent down (on her Bday) :(

Garth :angry:

What does Murray have to do with the Lapierre situation?

Murray is an extra forward who will probably spend a lot of time in the press box, would you rather Lapierre sit in the press box?

Guest jdm_jason

And once he does I think Lapierre will be a great addition along side Chips and Kostopoulos, that will be a very good 4th line IMO.

And once he does I think Lapierre will be a great addition along side Chips and Kostopoulos, that will be a very good 4th line IMO.

But then what about Begin? We have too many of these "agitator types" (Chipchura will be more of a defensive forward though).

Had we not signed Kostopolous, I'd be fine with Lapierre having a spot. But with Begin, Kostopolous, Chipchura, Smolinski, etc. there really isn't room.

Guest jdm_jason

I think Begin might be the odd man out, I like him but I think Laps is an upgrade over Begin and like you said we have too many of the agitator type guys on this team, but Smokes is also on a one year contract so maybe Smokes is the odd man out after this year. Who knows. Either way Laps should be back next year and will help this team at that point in time.

Guest bigsby
Good decision. Lapierre is a decent depth player, but it didn't make sense to take away spots from Chipchura (who had a great camp and has more upside than Lapierre) or Grabvoski (who has the offensive skill to make it big)

you're right, not to mention a mediocre camp didn't help his case much. that doesn't mean that i'm not disappointed though. i'm more disappointed with his camp than the decision to send him down. i'm a fan and will miss him being the tucker of our team...at least until he's called up ;)

Guest CanadianMike
What does Murray have to do with the Lapierre situation?

Murray is an extra forward who will probably spend a lot of time in the press box, would you rather Lapierre sit in the press box?

yes!

He could wait his turn in the press box. Players get injured and go in slumps don't they?

Guest ForeverGuyLafleur
yes!

He could wait his turn in the press box. Players get injured and go in slumps don't they?

The same could be applied to Lapierre's case, don't you think? He is in better spot than Murray to steal jobs if he stayed here.

According to canadiens.com, Gainey said that he can work on his penalty killing and face-offs in Hamilton.

yes!

How is sitting in the press box going to help him develop his game?

Lapierre can progress therefore management would rather he do it playing a ton of minutes for Hamilton.

Murray has probably reached his potential so sitting in the press box will not hurt his development.

Guest StratfordStreak

I find it hilarious that they put him all over their merchandise magazine, and his picture is featured prominently on this website, and then they banish him to Hamilton.

I find it hilarious that they put him all over their merchandise magazine, and his picture is featured prominently on this website, and then they banish him to Hamilton.

Yeah, the kid had played half a season for us in an agitator type role and suddenly he's a media superstar. Makes no sense. Can we wait until players earn their accolades before going overboard with the media hype? <_<

Guest bigsby
Can we wait until players earn their accolades before going overboard with the media hype? <_<

that could/should be moved to the price thread...or lats' thread for that matter... ;)

Archived