The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#40 Maxim Lapierre 2007-08

Guest JL

Guest lisa_11

Here's an article showing Lapierre's thoughts about getting cut.

Lapierre: «C’est à moi de me réveiller»

Maxim Lapierre a quitté Montréal, lundi, animé de la ferme intention d'y revenir au plus tôt.

«Je ne veux pas m'écraser. Je ne m'en vais pas à Hamilton pour me ‘pogner le beigne'», a lancé le jeune joueur de centre aux journalistes.

«Je ne suis pas inquiet. Je vais revenir, c'est sûr. Vous allez me revoir dans le décor. D'ici aux Fêtes, au plus tard.»

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20071001...5/1002/CPSPORTS

Translated in English (by Google, therefore it's awful)

Lapierre has the right attitude given the circumstances. He basically blames himself for being cut and says he will be back.

Guest 1970 Habs
With Begin on the team, I am not sure if he is needed nor am I sure if he deserves a spot. For some unknown reason, I am not confident that he will develop more as a player. He was average when returned to the Bulldogs for the play-off run but does have a knack for coming up big in big games. With so many guys similar to him on team, i would rather see an offensive rookie get a shot - as it seems this year' team once again will lack some offensive firepower.

I do not know what playoffs you watched.

Lappy has earned a spot with the team, he's energetic, he's not afraid to get dirty and he's not too shabby on the boards. He brings a lot of energy to the ice, he's a great instigater, which will lead to the other team taking penalty's. I'm not going to be overly surprised if he's in the line-up this year, I hear he's very well liked by Carbs.

He has many intangibles that I do appreciate.

I think Begin might be the odd man out, I like him but I think Laps is an upgrade over Begin and like you said we have too many of the agitator type guys on this team, but Smokes is also on a one year contract so maybe Smokes is the odd man out after this year. Who knows. Either way Laps should be back next year and will help this team at that point in time.

This has been argued before. Time is on Lapierre's side. Regardless of who he played with Lapierre showed an offensive flair when he was first called up last year. I believe in addition to his defensive game that he has some hidden offensive potential that has yet to be tapped. Contrary to some I do not think in 46 games last year he showed all that he had. If that were the case why was he sent to Hamilton to work on improving his game and most importantly if applied to the other young guys what does that say about guys like Latendresse et al. It is too bad that (for whatever reason) he had a poor Training Camp but sometimes players learn better taking a step backwards.

Here's an article showing Lapierre's thoughts about getting cut.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20071001...5/1002/CPSPORTS

Translated in English (by Google, therefore it's awful)

Lapierre has the right attitude given the circumstances. He basically blames himself for being cut and says he will be back.

I will go farther and say Lapierre is a "Team" player. He may never wear the "C" but I believe he is the type of player who will do anything for the Team to win/succeed. He will be back just wait and see.

HE is a 4th liner , maybe 3rd liner if he's lucky, which we currently have plenty of . He wasn't going to be the difference between making the playoffs and not making them .

Eventually Smolinski and or Begin will move on and Lapierre can fill their spot .

Good decision. He was simply outplayed by both Chipchura and Grabovski at camp and I'm truly glad to see that management stuck to their word in saying that there were no spots guaranteed.

I also love Lapierre's attitude in saying that he'll work his butt off to get back up as soon as possible. I love that in a player! Good luck Max, I'm sure you'll be back sooner rather than later!

Guest 1970 Habs
HE is a 4th liner , maybe 3rd liner if he's lucky, which we currently have plenty of . He wasn't going to be the difference between making the playoffs and not making them .

Eventually Smolinski and or Begin will move on and Lapierre can fill their spot .

Sorry but I must disagree with you here. I think you are selling him short and believe we have seen the full potential of Maxim Lapierre.

However that is just my humble hockey opinion.

I don't believe, that he came to camp, out of shape

I think he was joking. In his interview today, Lapierre was saying that he finished first in several team fitness tests this year.

I do wonder however how much of an effect the long playoffs, the long season had to do with his lack lustered performances at camp... mind you, O'Byrne, Price, Grabovski and Chipchura were in the same boat.

I think he was joking. In his interview today, Lapierre was saying that he finished first in several team fitness tests this year.

I do wonder however how much of an effect the long playoffs, the long season had to do with his lack lustered performances at camp... mind you, O'Byrne, Price, Grabovski and Chipchura were in the same boat.

Well I guess he didn't have as much conditioning time, but I wouldn't think it would have a huge impact.

It was probably a mixture of a couple of things. To start with, he just isn't that good when compared to prospects like Chipchura and Grabvoski, so he was somewhat fighting an uphill battle with limited lineup spots. There was also probably a bit of taking his spot for granted, most of us didn't think he'd end up in Hamilton (the press box maybe, but not back to the minors).

Guest HabsWinCup2007

Lapierre was cut..... that is sooo unreal..... I was really shocked to see that..... given his hard work last season.....

I'm sure he will be back in due time :)

Guest jennifer_rocket
Lapierre was cut..... that is sooo unreal..... I was really shocked to see that..... given his hard work last season.....

I'm sure he will be back in due time :)

Montreal's transitioning. There will be a place for Lapierre in the future. I'm sure he will be the first one called up when necessary! For now, hopefully he will have good developments in his game in Hamilton. We've got plenty of centers, so him learning to play the wing will be excellent. Someday I hope he and Chipchura can shut down the opposition like nothing else!

Guest habs_fan1160

If Begin is a "durable" this season as he was last season, I'm sure we'll see a lot more of Lappy in a Canadiens uniform.

From my understanding and the last I heard, Begin is still dealing with a nagging injury.

Lappy definately has a bright future with this club, I expect we'll be seeing him at some point this season. He's a pretty big crowd pleaser in MTL and Carbs likes him.

Guest habsrule_10

Anyone who watched Lapierre play in Hamilton and during his Junior career knows there is more to this player than what he showed last year in Montreal. His offensive ability was lost somewhere. I have always wondered why they did not try him on the wing, given the number of centres in the system. By all accounts Lapierre had a poor training camp/preseason and I only hope that the club (Gainey/Carbs) have been clear on what they want him to work on in Hamilton. Unless I am going to be totally astounded by all of the Habs current line-up, I know he has a future with this team. In the meantime, I will enjoy watching him play in Hamilton.

Guest CanadianMike

Lots of talk about the billboards in town with Lapierre's face on it. Will they/should they take them down?

He probably will be back soon, so no need to take them down IMO. bad PR dept. though. I know they needed a young/french face (to go with the Higgins, Komi ads), but maybe they should stick to safer picks next time. :P

Guest RadioHab

Gotta feel for the guy though it must be somewhat humiliating for him in a sense. He should be back soon though so I say keep your chin up and stay focused Max.

Guest Miltie01

Some guys need to go up and down a couple times before they stick !!!

Remember everyone was ticked Kostitsyn didn't stick at the start and was sent down after a callup last year ?

It turns out it was exactly what he needed !!!

If it were my call I would have took Lappy over Begin and Murray put together, but maybe it's a good think it wasn't my call. :)

It is a good thing it's not your call :P

I actually don't have an issue with Murray . He played quite well in PO's the year before but for whatever reason the coach didn't appear , to me, to give him a fair shake.

If it were my call I would have took Lappy over Begin and Murray put together, but maybe it's a good think it wasn't my call. :)

The thing is that Lapierre wasn't battling with Begin and Murray, who are both left handed left wingers who can also play center, but he was battling with Chipchura and Grabovski and he lost to both. The team now wants him to work on becoming a good winger and the AHL is the best place for him to learn. It's not like he's this very talented player sent down afterall. We already have two guys who prefer playing right wing in Kovalev and Kostitsyn (who will likely have to play left), and we also have Ryder and Kostopoulos. There just wasn't any room for Lapierre in the line-up at this point in time.

Guest halifax_habs

I like Lapierre but I'd much rather have Begin on our PK.

Not playing the same position...

I thought they were going to try him on the wing.I guess they will have to wait to see how Maxim adapts to the wing.

Archived