Catches: Left

Height: 5' 11"

Weight: 180

Born: 13 May '85

Born in: Bratislava, Slovak Republic

MTL Season: 1

NHL Season: 1

Drafted: Montréal's 9th round choice, 271st overall, in 2003

Acquired: Canadiens' 11th pick (271st overall) in 2003 (9th round)

Halak's only seen icetime once in the last five games; does this seem weird to anyone other than me?

I have a sneaking suspicion that he'll be sent on his way to Hamilton, which would be a shame in my opinion; not because I believe he's better than Carey Price (or vice-versa), but moreso because of the lack of chance given by the organization in training camp after first cuts (similar to Yann Danis before the first cuts).

I find it bizarre that they choose to play Huet (who already has a spot with the team) over someone who's battling for a position.

... or maybe they know they want to go with Halak? And keep the rest of the time to prepare Huet and give Price more experience at the "NHL" level?

Just listing out another possibility ;):P

That's a possibility, I always fear the "worst-case scenario" though. :lol:

It just seems to much to me like the case with Danis, where he was kicked to the backburner. Whatever the team decides, I'll support (for now ;)) as I really think both Halak and Price will be great in their own right.

The plus side is, if one falters in the NHL, the team can swap them without worry.

Guest electron

I sure hope we don't get rid of Halak. I can see him turning into another Tony Esposito. As a low draft pick, he has done fantastic, to get to where he is now. The same as Carey Price. I would go with the 2 kids. I can't see 2 sure fire goalie prospects, failing. Especially, if we break camp with the 6 best defenseman, and not the 6 with guaranteed contracts.

It just seems to much to me like the case with Danis, where he was kicked to the backburner. Whatever the team decides, I'll support (for now ;)) as I really think both Halak and Price will be great in their own right.

Well Price was the highest draft pick of Gainey's, he is the one with all the hype, and overall I think everyone will cater to him. It is sort of unfortunate for Danis and Halak, but I guess it's somewhat natural. I'm not sure if it's right or wrong, but we need to face the fact that for the most part Price will always be given the royal treatment. In the long run this may be best for the team, and one could argue that Price has earned it with his play in the past. But if I were Danis or Halak, I could see being a little bit upset.

While the competition at defense and for forwards seemed to be good this camp, I think barring some huge surprise (good or bad), the goaltending situation was decided a long time ago ...

Guest Miltie01

The club already had a good idea of what Halak is all about, with Carey there is still questions.

That is why Halak did not get as much playing time in pre season.

Guest jzun00
The club already had a good idea of what Halak is all about, with Carey there is still questions.

That is why Halak did not get as much playing time in pre season.

I think you are right Miltie01.

Guest HabSteve

just heard renaud lavoie on sports 30 talking about how the "Halak Camp" is not happy at all right now, they said that he will report to Hamilton but his situation might be something to pay attention to..

just heard renaud lavoie on sports 30 talking about how the "Halak Camp" is not happy at all right now, they said that he will report to Hamilton but his situation might be something to pay attention to..

I can't say I really blame him here. It's not that I blame Gainey either for giving Price the upperhand at every point, just a bad situation all around. Sometimes fairness has to be thrown aside (when Price came in and was given the starting job for Hamilton's playoffs it sure wasn't fair - but it worked).

But at the same time, I wouldn't blame Halak or Danis one bit for being upset. Danis outplayed both of them by the sounds of it and was sent down. Halak wasn't given nearly the chances Price was to show what he was capable of. But I guess when you're the 5th pick overall, win Gold at the juniors, and then win a Calder Cup, you get special treatment.

Wow, i wonder if we are going to trade him away

Really depends on Huet.

Unless Price bombs, Halak will never be given his spot. But it's possible that they want Halak as the backup here at some point. RIght now it's too early to trade Huet, but it could happen at some point, and then we may see the Price - Halak tandem.

But who really knows ..?

Guest 1970 Habs

So similar to Danis. Except last year Halk stoled the show from Danis. This year Price took it from both of them.

I wonder if either of them are a little disgruntled. It will be interesting what happens when Halak becomes an RFA this year and Danis an UFA.

I would not be surprised if both are gone by next year.

So similar to Danis. Except last year Halk stoled the show from Danis. This year Price took it from both of them.

Not really. Price didn't exactly "take" anything. Don't get me wrong, he played well in his games but;

1. Danis was the best goalie at camp (from Carbonneau's mouth, no-less)

2. Halak only had ice-time in one of the last 5 pre-season games; not near a legitimate chance to prove himself.

Guest 1970 Habs

Notice I said "took" not "won". Semantics really right. :)

Maybe I should have said was given but that isn't even fair as Carey played very well.

Regardless how he got the #2 job I do not begrudge Carey Price.

Gainey saw Halak last year so now he probably wants to see Carey Price at the NHL level to make an overall assessment of his top 2 goalie prospects.

Notice I said "took" not "won". Semantics really right. :)

Yes, you said took. But he did not take; for him to take it from Halak, it would have had to have been Halak's in the first place; which it was not -- it was Price's.

But the best of luck to both 'tenders this season. Hopefully Price puts some wins up for us (we'll need them :lol:) and hopefully Halak isn't discouraged in Hamilton.

Guest 1970 Habs

Only time will tell.

However if Price works out well this year I do not see him playing a key role.

I see him being packaged in a deal for a draft pick or prospect.

Guest jennifer_rocket
Only time will tell.

However if Price works out well this year I do not see him playing a key role.

I see him being packaged in a deal for a draft pick or prospect.

I see him being Price's backup next season if he is still with the organization at that point.

Guest RedLightRacicot
I see him being Price's backup next season if he is still with the organization at that point.

I don't see Huet being here after this season and I would love to see Halak backing up Price. If he is more than just a back-up then some healthy competition for Price won't hurt and his value would increase in the process. I love the idea of having too many # 1 Goaltender's.

Guest habs_fan1160

I was really surprised to see Halak go down rather than Price. Obviously Price deserves the spot more but if they're going by ice time like they said they were this doesn't really make much sense.

Archived