The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#46 Andrei Kostitsyn 2007-08

jl-1

Guest habinto

this kid has potential and he has shown that he has potential. Let's give him a chance so he can reach his potential before calling him a Berezin!!!! It is way too early to make conclusions on how he will turn out.

i don't like him spending so much time in the press box either but i refuse to believe he's being punished (why the berezin comparison...i think the perezhogin comparison is apt enough?). carbo doesn't like to mess with a winning lineup - which i don't always agree with especially when we can get better by throwing some offense into the mix - we saw that last year at this time, remember? i'd like to see him play against the 'canes moreso than the pens to be honest - i think he's more likely to draw their d into penalties (the thing i love most about his game) but as i've said before, i thinkwe'll see him in the lineup this weekend.

while i don't think he's being punished i will say: lats has had his minutes, keep grabs on the ice, and bring kostitsyn out there tomorrow night!

Guest jennifer_rocket

TSN's Ice chips is reporting that Kostitsyn will not be in the lineup for Friday unless Begin (shot in the hand from Brisebois) can't go due to injury. Not good, not good.

TSN's Ice chips is reporting that Kostitsyn will not be in the lineup for Friday unless Begin (shot in the hand from Brisebois) can't go due to injury. Not good, not good.

Ouch..

Player on player violence, is never the answer :)

rats.

Guest jennifer_rocket
Three straight games in the pressbox? Bah. The only comfort is that we're playing again on Saturday.

Yeah, this is weird. Carbo shuffles, shuffles, shuffles, and shuffles some more... Then Kostitsyn has to sit out for three games (or more) because we won some games. We also won the first game of the year, but those lines didn't stay the same. I would think we could take Grabovski out of the lineup and put Kostitsyn on Smolinski's wing for a game or two, or something... Right? Of crouse I'm right. Let's all yell, at the same time, "GAINEY, GET KOSTITSYN BACK IN THERE!"

are we setting him up to take off for Russia too? he needs a contract this summer, thats all we need is him taking off because he doesn't think he can get a legit chance to play on our team.

I don't understand this decision - as a minimum cycle him with Grabovski so he has a chance to play. I guess in Carbo's mind he is rewarding Grabs for his goal last game(??)

are we setting him up to take off for Russia too? he needs a contract this summer, thats all we need is him taking off because he doesn't think he can get a legit chance to play on our team.

It would be horrible if he did, as most likely he brother would take off with him aswell

That being said, it would be pretty funny if he did run off to Russia, like hogan, we would be the joke of the league, 2 first round picks, running away due to our coaching staff.

That being said, its not going to happen, he will get his chance, and prove to us all how good he really is :)

I've been relatively impressed with Carbo so far, but this is just a mistake. We need to get Kostitsyn the playing time, and like Link mentioned, let's try to keep him somewhat happy here. I wouldn't mess with the lineup too much, but would swapping him with Latendresse really make a huge difference? Maybe even play him in Begin or Kostopolous's spot, I don't know, just get him in there. I don't mind that a rookie sits once inawhile, but 3 straight games in uncalled for for a player of Kostitsyn's calibre.

Unfortunately seems like a case of last year's "if it aint broke don't fix it" philosophy that did us in by the end of the season

Guest St. B. Voyageur
Yeah, this is weird. Carbo shuffles, shuffles, shuffles, and shuffles some more... Then Kostitsyn has to sit out for three games (or more) because we won some games. We also won the first game of the year, but those lines didn't stay the same. I would think we could take Grabovski out of the lineup and put Kostitsyn on Smolinski's wing for a game or two, or something... Right? Of crouse I'm right. Let's all yell, at the same time, "GAINEY, GET KOSTITSYN BACK IN THERE!"

It's a long season and I don't fault Carbo for not putting Kostistyn in the lineup, when the team is winning, not just some games, games against divisional rivals who were both ahead of us in the standings before we played them. The only guy on the team I would sit to get Kostistyn in is Begin, because he can't play 82 games.

I think this is a character test for Kostistyn. If he comes back with a vengeance once he gets in the lineup, that it is a plus for our team. If he sulks and doesn't perform up to the coach's standards, then I think he becomes trade bait, since he has only 3 career goals, which puts him well behind players selected after him in the 2003 entry draft (Getzlaf, Perry, Parise, Richards, Kesler, etc.). It would be a shame if Andrei never got to play with his brother, but if it happens, it will be the player's fault and not the coach's IMO.

Guest mtl1010
I've been relatively impressed with Carbo so far, but this is just a mistake. We need to get Kostitsyn the playing time, and like Link mentioned, let's try to keep him somewhat happy here. I wouldn't mess with the lineup too much, but would swapping him with Latendresse really make a huge difference? Maybe even play him in Begin or Kostopolous's spot, I don't know, just get him in there. I don't mind that a rookie sits once inawhile, but 3 straight games in uncalled for for a player of Kostitsyn's calibre.

Unfortunately seems like a case of last year's "if it aint broke don't fix it" philosophy that did us in by the end of the season

well, if we're winning games then i guess we wouldn't say the line ups are "broken" so we wouldn't "fix it" ;) meaning we wouldn't change it, right? i'm not supporting sitting kostitsyn out for 3 games, but what i'm trying to say is, its a hard decision for carbo

well, if we're winning games then i guess we wouldn't say the line ups are "broken" so we wouldn't "fix it" ;) meaning we wouldn't change it, right? i'm not supporting sitting kostitsyn out for 3 games, but what i'm trying to say is, its a hard decision for carbo

Yah but it didnt stop carbonneau from switching lines after the carolina game won, the forst game of the year, oh and the game we won against pittsburgh when Price played.

It would be horrible if he did, as most likely he brother would take off with him aswell

That being said, it would be pretty funny if he did run off to Russia, like hogan, we would be the joke of the league, 2 first round picks, running away due to our coaching staff.

That being said, its not going to happen, he will get his chance, and prove to us all how good he really is :)

If Kostitsyn (or Grabovski) decides to take off for Russia next year, it will most likely be a very long time before we draft a player from that part of the world. Not a racist statement, but I remember reading that only 7 Russians were selected at the last entry draft and highly rated Alexei Chereparov was selected 17th overall, stunning every "expert" as he was ranked in the top 5... Teams, including ours, must now manage their risk in selecting those players as they're loosing precious assets. Pointing to the Canadiens alone is a bit short sighted as several teams have lost Russian and Belorussian players the same way in recent years.

That's exactly what I mean, but it's not a good thing. "If it aint broke don't fix it" is a horrible philosophy in general, whether in business or a sports team, because there are always ways to improve.

That's exactly what I mean, but it's not a good thing. "If it aint broke don't fix it" is a horrible philosophy in general, whether in business or a sports team, because there are always ways to improve.

Yes and no. By changing something that already works, you also run the risk of making things worst.

I am normally not a fan of Guy Carbonneau at all, but I am happy with this decision. He is observing the kid in practice, he saw him in the games, there may be a lot more to this situation then we, as fans, realize. There is more to being an asset to a team than having the capabilities to make a flashy move or dangle the puck for a few seconds...I see no reason for anyone in our current lineup to be replaced. There are less skilled guys in the lineup, perhaps, but they fill a very different role and need for our team. I for one see AK as a disappointment and have been unimpressed with his play relative to the 12 skaters we have in the lineup. The only person who conceivably I would replace would be latendresse, but his attitude seems to have turned around a bit.

Spots have got to be earned and ostensibly kosti has done something wrong.

I disagree with you for about a million reasons but i wont get into them here because i will end up typing for hours.

I am normally not a fan of Guy Carbonneau at all, but I am happy with this decision. He is observing the kid in practice, he saw him in the games, there may be a lot more to this situation then we, as fans, realize. There is more to being an asset to a team than having the capabilities to make a flashy move or dangle the puck for a few seconds...I see no reason for anyone in our current lineup to be replaced. There are less skilled guys in the lineup, perhaps, but they fill a very different role and need for our team. I for one see AK as a disappointment and have been unimpressed with his play relative to the 12 skaters we have in the lineup. The only person who conceivably I would replace would be latendresse, but his attitude seems to have turned around a bit.

Spots have got to be earned and ostensibly kosti has done something wrong.

If he has done something wrong then benching him for three or more games isn't going to help him at all. He's in his first full season and he's learning. If it's because he's been invisible then you bench him for one or two games to send him the message. But it's the beginning of the season and we have to give him a chance.

Guest Miltie01

There is obviously something happening here that we do not know.

Others have been sat and then quickly returned to the line up.

A player with this much potential usually won't sit for a long time.

Not fixing something that isn't broken does not cover it.

Maybe he has been pouting and dogging it in practice ?

Maybe he is sick, or has personal problems ? I don't know.

But there is a reason....other than Carbo is nuts or hates skilled players, as many like to think.

Guest CanadianMike
There is obviously something happening here that we do not know.

Others have been sat and then quickly returned to the line up.

A player with this much potential usually won't sit for a long time.

Not fixing something that isn't broken does not cover it.

Maybe he has been pouting and dogging it in practice ?

Maybe he is sick, or has personal problems ? I don't know.

But there is a reason....other than Carbo is nuts or hates skilled players, as many like to think.

I think you are looking way too much into it.

He sits...Habs win 2...Kosts has got to wait. (I am surprised though that he is not back in. I guess Dandy's hip is better).

Archived