The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#46 Andrei Kostitsyn 2007-08

jl-1

if you check the game day thread, tsn is reporting that he'll be in the lineup tonight if begin is injured. either way, i stand by my earlier statement that he'll play this weekend.

Guest Perezhiggins
Is it possible he was injured more seriously than originally thought from the Roberts hit?

That's actually what I was thinking... it doesn't make much sense to sit him for over a week.

Guest mtl1010

Kostitsyn most likely wont be a player that wants to leave if carbo talks to him about it and explain why but if carbo just says he's sitting out again, then i think he'll want to leave

Guest habinto
That's exactly what I mean, but it's not a good thing. "If it aint broke don't fix it" is a horrible philosophy in general, whether in business or a sports team, because there are always ways to improve.

And we need to integrate present performance with future performance to ensure we are, one day, a true contender.

Guest habinto
I disagree with you for about a million reasons but i wont get into them here because i will end up typing for hours.

Are yo saying that it is a good strategy to "not fix it if it is not broken"? Any company with that mentality would lose their competitive advantage in a short time and become less of a company if they don't adapt to changes - fix on the run. Decisons and actions need to be made to succeed today and to succeed tomorrow.

Kots is a player of the future that needs to be integrated today. Having said that, I have not concluded on what it means (or how) kots should be integrated - Carbo's decision could be right or not. From my sofa it looks odd that Carbo is siting the kid, but Carbo does have more details to work with than me on my sofa.

We have been doig great with the current lineup, We have back to back games,

Most likely someone will have a poor or not up to tandard game tonight, or someone will tired, sore and kostystyn will replace, him, UNless we really blow the canes out of the water tonight.

but i think its going to be a tough gritty game, and we will see him in the lineup for tomorrows game

Back to Back games are a killer especially on the road

Yes and no. By changing something that already works, you also run the risk of making things worst.

True, but it's about moderation. I wouldn't at this point do a complete shuffle of our lineup, but I would try to make a couple strategic insertions. You could get worse, yes, but that's a risk you take to get better. Because chances are, no matter how good we look, there is always a way to make things better.

So what I'm saying, is not that we should shuffle everyone and do anything significant to try and get better at this point, but small changes shouldn't be avoided just because we're winning.

Guest Perezhiggins

I seriously think they should bench Ryder tomorrow against the Penguins and give a chance to Kostitsyn to play with Koivu and Higgins. That line could really dominate. It would allow Kostitsyn to revert to his natural position (RW), it would give him quality ice-time, and it would allow him to play with our best center; there's no better way to assess his play.

Guest Banishing Blade
I seriously think they should bench Ryder tomorrow against the Penguins and give a chance to Kostitsyn to play with Koivu and Higgins. That line could really dominate. It would allow Kostitsyn to revert to his natural position (RW), it would give him quality ice-time, and it would allow him to play with our best center; there's no better way to assess his play.

I'm sort of in favor of this, but minus the benching of Ryder. Bench a d-man and move Dandenault to D for one game, or bench a fourth-liner, then modify the first three lines so we see...

Higgins-Koivu-Kostitsyn

Latendresse-Plekanec-Kovalev

Grabovski-Smolinski-Ryder

This way, Ryder doesn't have to be benched. He still has four points; however, he isn't producing at all on the first line. I don't think we should treat him like Kostitsyn, Grabovski, or Latendresse, as he's proven he can play in the NHL; I do, however, think we need to somehow spark him, as he's been (IMO) relatively useless on the top line.

That's wandering a bit off-topic, though... with regards to Kostitsyn, it would benefit him as well to play with Koivu and Higgins, as (as you pointed out) he can move to his natural wing and gets a shot at producing. He was playing with a revolving door of centers at the start of the season, so I don't entirely fault him for his performance (though he did play a part in it). I don't think his play was worthy of a three-game sit, though...

Guest Greek Hab
I'm sort of in favor of this, but minus the benching of Ryder. Bench a d-man and move Dandenault to D for one game, or bench a fourth-liner, then modify the first three lines so we see...

Yea, Let's mess up the 4th, who have scored a goal in the last 3 games. <Edited> Keep it civil, please. -weepingminotaur

Guest hatethoseleafs

I love Kosi as much as the next guy and feel he has tons of potential but quite honestly,,,,,as long as the team is hot and winning,,,, then dont wake the sleeping bear. He'll get his oppurtunity soon enough and when it happens then the ball will be in his court to remain in the lineup. Its like the RDS announcers said of Chipper in tonights game. He's making a statement to Carbo that he wont allow himself to be benched again.

Guest Bolshevik

This doesn't really have anything to do with the current 'Kostitsyn being sat' situation, but...

Has anyone seen Andrei play with his brother Sergei on the same line? If you have, or if they even have in pro hockey... do they have chemistry? Do they do well together? It'd be a sight to see the Kostitsyns out there at the same time, if they're anything like the Sedins (they're twins, I know, but still).

Guest Maniaque

I've never seen them together, but I hope to one day.

As for now, we have won our last two games 6-2 and 7-4. Thirteen goals is about what we do in 4 games, and we did in 2. Of note here: Kostitsyn was not in the lineup. I dont want to revive the argument from a couple pages back, but the situation is simple enough to me at least: We're playing great hockey right now, and any change is more likely to break things than do good.

However, we are playing tomorow and Carbo may be tempted to give a rest to a few players. I believe Kostitsyn (and Price) will play against the Pens.

Guest Banishing Blade
Yea, Let's mess up the 4th, who have scored a goal in the last 3 games. <Edited> Keep it civil, please. -weepingminotaur

The fourth line isn't what we need to win games. They aren't there to score, and when they do, consider it a bonus. Seriously, if our biggest worry is ruining the fourth line, I'm not that concerned :D

I still don't buy this 'if it isn't broken, don't fix it' philosophy... Kostitsyn was in a completely different situation than his peers are in now; Kostitsyn was playing with a different center every few games, and wasn't playing on his natural wing. Excuses, yes, but then there's the fact that the first line hasn't been all that great, either. They've hustled, they've had their chances, but it just doesn't seem to be clicking at all for Ryder; sprucing up the lines while keeping Ryder in the line-up is ideal. I don't propose Kostitsyn on the first line as a permanent solution, but only to get both himself and Ryder moving. Once that's said and done, let Kostitsyn compete with Latendresse for the second line left wing spot (or move him to the third line right wing; either way's fine by me).

Give Kostitsyn a fair shot. Unless Gainey / Carbo have absolutely no plans for Kostitsyn in the future (outside trading him), he needs to get the ice-time, and benching him for three games, possibly four, simply because the team's on a roll isn't justified. Brisebois was benched when he was playing fairly well (had a bad game, but overall, he was fine) in order to give Gorges a shot; we can't do Kostitsyn the same favor?

I don't know, maybe my preference to Kostitsyn's blinding me, but he doesn't deserve to be benched again. He needs the experience.

Guest silversnake
I don't know, maybe my preference to Kostitsyn blinding me, but he doesn't deserve to be benched again. He needs the experience.

i felt like this as well but after reading a few people in different threads, it can't be favoritism. This kid has something and we all know it. I agree that having a different center and playing on opposite wing should be difficult to accomplish. I feel like carbo has more patience for latendresse but not so much with Kostitsyn.

He needs to play , just no other way around

Guest Greek Hab
The fourth line isn't what we need to win games. They aren't there to score, and when they do, consider it a bonus. Seriously, if our biggest worry is ruining the fourth line, I'm not that concerned :D

I still don't buy this 'if it isn't broken, don't fix it' philosophy...

Give Kostitsyn a fair shot. Unless Gainey / Carbo have absolutely no plans for Kostitsyn in the future (outside trading him), he needs to get the ice-time, and benching him for three games, possibly four, simply because the team's on a roll isn't justified. Brisebois was benched when he was playing fairly well (had a bad game, but overall, he was fine) in order to give Gorges a shot; we can't do Kostitsyn the same favor?

I don't know, maybe my preference to Kostitsyn's blinding me, but he doesn't deserve to be benched again. He needs the experience.

So, basically you want to reward a victorious whooping of the Canes, with a downgrade/failure to one of our players. "Good job guys, we totally played a solid game last night, and didn't go to overboard with our plays...ok due to that, someone has to sit." ??? You should know by now, that Guy doesn't sit players after a win, especially after a 7-4 win(with 5 goals in the first period).

Your point by giving Gorges a chance to hit the ice, came after a OTLOSS, and a not so shabby performance by Patrice, when the leafs came back from our 3-1 lead in the game. So it's irrelevant to Kostitsyn's situation as of now because we have WON our last 3 games.

"simply because the team's on a roll isn't justified"...I'm still scratching my head at that sentence... :huh: ..."even though we are winning games, it's still not good enough."

Until we lose a game, there is no reason to sit anyone, because there are no bad excuses to a win.

So, basically you want to reward a victorious whooping of the Canes, with a downgrade/failure to one of our players. "Good job guys, we totally played a solid game last night, and didn't go to overboard with our plays...ok due to that, someone has to sit." ??? You should know by now, that Guy doesn't sit players after a win, especially after a 7-4 win(with 5 goals in the first period).

Your point by giving Gorges a chance to hit the ice, came after a OTLOSS, and a not so shabby performance by Patrice, when the leafs came back from our 3-1 lead in the game. So it's irrelevant to Kostitsyn's situation as of now because we have WON our last 3 games.

"simply because the team's on a roll isn't justified"...I'm still scratching my head at that sentence... :huh: ..."even though we are winning games, it's still not good enough."

Until we lose a game, there is no reason to sit anyone, because there are no bad excuses to a win.

If Koivu can be demoted to the 4th line after the Canes 3rd goal then pretty much everyone is open to being sat.

Guest Greek Hab
If Koivu can be demoted to the 4th line after the Canes 3rd goal then pretty much everyone is open to being sat.

You're demoting to the 4th line, is comparable to a bench? Ok, fine, let's bench Koivu then, and see how he reacts. B) And with partners like Begin and Kostopoulos...not bad if you ask me...Grit/Clutch/Punch. If it was Murray and Chipchura on the 4th line, that would be a punishment(no offense to Chips, I'm just using a rookie as an example).

And BTW, the 4th line was the only line that were in the + in the +/- with a +1...

Guest Greek Hab

Kostitsyn - Higgins - Ryder

Latendresse - Plekanec - Kovalev

Grabovski - Smolinski - Dandenault

Begin - Chipchura - Kostopoulos

Happy? :unsure:

Guest Greek Hab
I never once said to sit out Koivu.

You just said "pretty much everyone is open to being sat." You either need to re-word your sentence(as in sat-on-the-bench or sat-in-the-box) or elaborate what your point was towards mine, which was promoting failure after a victory(to Banishing Blade's post) and to whom Kostitsyn would replace on the bench. Your post has no relevance to what I was pointing out, except that Koivu is a possible person to sit because he was lazy on the Canes 3rd goal? :huh:

You just said "pretty much everyone is open to being sat." You either need to re-word your sentence(as in sat-on-the-bench or sat-in-the-box) or elaborate what your point was towards mine, which was promoting failure after a victory(to Banishing Blade's post) and to whom would Kostitsyn replace on the bench. Your post has no relevance to what I was pointing out, except that Koivu is a possible person to sit because he was lazy on the Canes 3rd goal? :huh:

My response was to this:

I meant since Koivu can be demoted in a blow-out game then almost anyone can be sitting in the pressbox next game.

I never said since Koivu was demoted to the 4th line that he'll be sitting out next game in order to make room for Kostitsyn.

Guest Greek Hab
My response was to this:

I meant since Koivu can be demoted in a blow-out game then almost anyone can be sitting in the pressbox next game.

I never said since Koivu was demoted to the 4th line that he'll be sitting out next game in order to make room for Kostitsyn.

O, ok. So you're referring to anyone on the team, minus Koivu, could be in the press box. I assumed anyone/everyone, was EVERYONE on the team.

Archived