The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#46 Andrei Kostitsyn 2007-08

jl-1

Prospal just signed 4 years 14 million which is 3.5 million/year so I dont think Andrei will get more than that!

That's good to hear - We definetly have to keep Andrei but I would rather not have to pay him more than 3.5million-4million.

Glad to hear negotiations went well and hope to hear the results soon. This is a huge resigning.

I have no evidence to back me up, but based on his career thus far and his play after brother Sergei was called up, I have a feeling that Andrei is the kind of person who excels when he's in a comfortable environment. Most players tend to get stale after snagging a big contract. I believe Andrei will be the opposite. He obviously likes playing with his brother in Montreal, he has no interest in going anywhere else, and if we do indeed work out a four-year contract, he won't have to worry about anything except his on-ice performance. This level of security will help him to excel IMO.

I have no evidence to back me up, but based on his career thus far and his play after brother Sergei was called up, I have a feeling that Andrei is the kind of person who excels when he's in a comfortable environment. Most players tend to get stale after snagging a big contract. I believe Andrei will be the opposite. He obviously likes playing with his brother in Montreal, he has no interest in going anywhere else, and if we do indeed work out a four-year contract, he won't have to worry about anything except his on-ice performance. This level of security will help him to excel IMO.

Hmm, interesting line of thinking and I hope you're right. I wonder if part of his comfort level in Montreal is because team doctors helped him so much with his seizures/epilepsy? I know I'd be grateful in his case. Just speculation but it's great to see him healthy and playing well. Amazing to think we got him tenth and he may still be a big steal - which goes right back to the health issues and the fact that Montreal give him a shot when some other teams didn't.

I don't want to get my hopes up, because it's Meehan, and he is a slimeball par excellence, but man, would it ever be sweet if we could get Andrei squared away to a reasonable long-term contract which would give us more flexibility under the cap.
Sounds like there may be some "back ending" (as was in Lapierre's), to help absorb Tanguay and others (Sundin, Streit or another D-man) for this coming season. We'll see.

I say he gets signed tomorrow

That would be nice. It would even be nice as the other RFA salaries are more predictable making it fairly easy to see how much cap space is left for BG to sign UFA player(s).

My guess $3.75 per season and 4 year deal. Andrei can now bring the family to live in Montreal.

Sounds like there may be some "back ending" (as was in Lapierre's), to help absorb Tanguay and others (Sundin, Streit or another D-man) for this coming season. We'll see.

that's most likely the case if meehan is meeting with the capologist (does anyone else find that title hilarious?!).

I think that we'll learn alot about AK46 by the length of the contract he signs. I believe that a two year deal would matchhim up with the duration of his brother contract allowing them to go shopping together. Not a good scenario for the club. But if he signs a 3 or 4 year deal, it will be easier to resign Sergei in 2 years time. They are very dynamic players who can contribute alot to the team. Further down the line if they become UFAs at the same time, I don't think we will have to worry about other NHL clubs nabing them as much as we do the Russian leagues.

It's coming tomorrow!

I guarantee it! :D

I guess you were right as the Montreal Canadiens extended a RFA qualifying offer to Andrei. :D

The qualifying offers, which expire July 15, ensure that those players who re-sign with Montreal are protected if another NHL team submits an offer sheet. The team has the right of first refusal or draft choice compensation should any of the players sign offer sheets with other NHL clubs.

It will be interesting to see if another NHL team submits an offer sheet to Andrei Kostitsyn.

bad news for bob, Jeff Carter just got 5 million a season for 3 years from philly, he got 29 goals and 52 points, very comparable stats to Andrei, lets hope Mehaan doesn't try to get a similar deal, but I can definitely see Gainey having to offer atleast 4.5 per season for a 3 year or more deal now.

Obviously Meehan was asking for a lot because he had to have a meeting or whatever with the capologist. This is the first time I've ever heard of an agent having to meet with one.

of course he will because he is meehan, that little greedy piece of pond scum has been a pest for the past few years. He always holds out for the "big money"

I will go on record right now saying that if the talks or deal fall through it is all meehan's fault :angry:

Archived