The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#46 Andrei Kostitsyn 2007-08

jl-1

There is a meeting monday between Bob and Kost (or his agent).

It's beguining to be late....

Perfect, so Meehan can decline the offer at the last minute so someone like Kevin Lowe can offer him $7M.

Perfect, so Meehan can decline the offer at the last minute so someone like Kevin Lowe can offer him $7M.

7 million dollars and 4 first round draft picks for Kostitsyn?

If someone does that Gainey could take the pics.

I don't think so, Kevin Lowe is in my basement watching cartoons... :unsure::lol:

Just make sure you confiscate his cell phone ok? ;)

If his little brother wasn't here I would be a little worried. I know he is staying and loves to play here with his bro, so I am not nervous. Just anxious for it to be done.

Same here. I was more nervous for Pleki last year than I am for Big K this year. The thing is, there's not much going on anywhere yet on the NHL planet so time seems to drag on and on and on.

I'm sure we will get it done before July 1st, if not today (which we are definately running out of time with) it will be probably Monday or Tuesday right before the deadline...even though I too think the sooner we get this guy signed the better for the team

I think that we'll learn alot about AK46 by the length of the contract he signs. I believe that a two year deal would matchhim up with the duration of his brother contract allowing them to go shopping together. Not a good scenario for the club. But if he signs a 3 or 4 year deal, it will be easier to resign Sergei in 2 years time. They are very dynamic players who can contribute alot to the team. Further down the line if they become UFAs at the same time, I don't think we will have to worry about other NHL clubs nabing them as much as we do the Russian leagues.

I think your theory of the two brother skipping town some day is something to worry about... but even if andrei signs for 2 years and is due when sergei is, sergei will still be a RFA... so unless a team gets him with an offer sheet or a trade, he will be resigned... so that situation seems to be further than 2 years away

There is a meeting monday between Bob and Kost (or his agent).

It's beguining to be late....

where did you hear that?

I am getting worried.

I am getting worried. :unsure:

Someone offer up some reassuring news about how Kostitsyn is going to be signed to a nice, fair, four-year deal.

Please. :mellow:

i can't! it's all non-news! the only consolation i can think of is that gainey is not going to risk having to match an offer-sheet so he will be signed before the first. i just don't understand why it's taking so long. meehan! <_<

from habsinsideout:

"Anyone else getting nervous about the Andrei Kostitsyn negotiations?

While Bob Gainey has been wooing Mats Sundin, who plays hard to get better than he plays hockey, there's another clock ticking:

AK46 can become a restricted free agent on Tuesday.

As Pat Hickey points out in his column today, Jeff Carter's deal with the Flyers – three years, $15 million – raises the bar for Kostitsyn, who posted similar numbers this past season and was drafted one spot ahead of Carter in 2003.

Carter has completed a three-year contract that paid $942,000 per. Kostitsyn's deal paid $942,000, $802,000 and $612,000.

Yes, AK46 is said to like Montreal.

Yes, he enjoys playing with his kid brother.

Yes, he's undoubtedly grateful the organization took a chance on drafting him and helped with his medical issues.

But No, he's not an idiot – and neither is his agent, Don Meehan. The market is overheated, and come Tuesday, some loony NHL general manager might dangle a Carter-sized offer sheet in front of Kostitsyn, obliging the Canadiens either to match an iflated number or say goodbye and settle for draft choices.

The Canadiens will not give AK46 $5 million based one good season. But if I'm Meehan, I'm not taking a nickel less than $3.5 million and I'm not going for a day longer than two years, with the idea of cashing in huge on the next contract."

i hate the idea of a two-year contract. :angry:

Someone offer up some reassuring news about how Kostitsyn is going to be signed to a nice, fair, four-year deal.

Please. :mellow:

Well I have no news about the deal but hopefully this article on how big-money RFA offer sheets are likely to stay rare in a salary cap era will reassure you. Sure you can grab a player, but you have to do it by inflating that players salary for a number of years. It sure isn't risk free, and certainly not cheap.

I mean you sign Kostitsyn for 4 years, 6 million per, and he never breaks thirty goals. Oops. That's a big cap hit.

From the Hockey News http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/1686...A-signings.html

You can bet that Don Meehan doesn't ;)

that's what i'd assume. as boone implied: short term now, cash in big later. i just don't understand why he used mike richards' contract as his bench mark ('we're seeking something shorter") and has visited with the capologist. doesn't seem like a two year contract would be this compicated, imho.

this is getting me really worried! for god sakes gainey take some time away from sundin and get kostitsyn signed, who IMO is alot more crucial to sign than sundin....if we wait too long we will have to match a huge offer because for sure some gm will offer kostitsyn a huge contract and that will totally screw everything up if we have to sign him for $5 million...look at carters contract and I think kostitsyn is better than carter and is also a lot more electric on the ice

dont worry fellas i've sent a representative on my behalf to Montreal! Im prepared to make Mr.Meehan an offer he cannot refuse.

By Monday i can gurantee you Andrei Kostitsyn will be playing for the Montreal Canadiens!

Who did you send? Harvey Rosen? :lol: Or maybe one of the splinters? :lol: ........Bad joke

Archived