The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens

#46 Andrei Kostitsyn 2007-08

jl-1

Ok, I agree we should sign this kid, but let's not get ahead of ourselves... I've seen some excellent plays from him this season. On some occasions I was left speechless, but honestly, does one season dictate his career?

It sure gives us a taste of what we can expect from him, he's undoubtedly got an amazing shot and has great hands. I really don't think he's proven himself yet. We all expected greatness from Ryder after his 1st season, we all know where he ended up?

Give the kid an option... "You've had a great season, at this point we're willing to offer you _ _ _ _ for 2 years, if you keep progressing through these 2 yrs, then you can expect to receive _ _ _ _ from us", make the kid work for his $$.

His game during the playoffs kind of frightened me, he wasn't battling for the puck in the corners and gave up it up too quickly, specially against Flyers. He's a great player with a promising future, hopefully with the Habs. But he's got to over-come a few things, he get's thrown off his game too easily, one good hit and he avoids the corners. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see him in a Habs uniform next season, but I don't think he's quite worth a 4 or 5 mil contract, atleast not yet in his career.

Just something to think about...

Ok, I agree we should sign this kid, but let's not get ahead of ourselves... I've seen some excellent plays from him this season. On some occasions I was left speechless, but honestly, does one season dictate his career?

It sure gives us a taste of what we can expect from him, he's undoubtedly got an amazing shot and has great hands. I really don't think he's proven himself yet. We all expected greatness from Ryder after his 1st season, we all know where he ended up?

Give the kid an option... "You've had a great season, at this point we're willing to offer you _ _ _ _ for 2 years, if you keep progressing through these 2 yrs, then you can expect to receive _ _ _ _ from us", make the kid work for his $$.

His game during the playoffs kind of frightened me, he wasn't battling for the puck in the corners and gave up it up too quickly, specially against Flyers. He's a great player with a promising future, hopefully with the Habs. But he's got to over-come a few things, he get's thrown off his game too easily, one good hit and he avoids the corners. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see him in a Habs uniform next season, but I don't think he's quite worth a 4 or 5 mil contract, atleast not yet in his career.

Yup, he ended up being our top goal scorer two years in a row at 1.1 Million, then 2.95. Why not just go the year by year route, same as Ryder?

Totally agree with you, however try to tell the GMs that who are willing to sign players to big contracts that are not even as good as Andrei is.

Might want to forward that to his agent.

Hello Kevin Lowe!

I wanted to say the same thing... think we'll see him in an Oilers shirt tomorrow...
really unlikely the Oilers will do anything of interest this FA season as the Oilers have no first round draft pick to offer as compensation...

Totally agree with you, however try to tell the GMs that who are willing to sign players to big contracts that are not even as good as Andrei is.

I'm sure we're not the only people who noticed his lack of play during the playoffs. All eyes were on him, both brothers were expected to explode during the post season. The way you play in the post season can make all the difference when signing contracts. Teams love players who really turn it up during the playoffs, but let's not be too hard on the kid, it was his 1st playoff appearance.

really unlikely the Oilers will do anything of interest this FA season as the Oilers have no first round draft pick to offer as compensation...

that's a relief. i can scratch at least one gm off my list of worries. :P<_<

I'm sure we're not the only people who noticed his lack of play during the playoffs. All eyes were on him, both brothers were expected to explode during the post season. The way you play in the post season can make all the difference when signing contracts. Teams love players who really turn it up during the playoffs, but let's not be too hard on the kid, it was his 1st playoff appearance.

i hear your point and i'm fairly certain that his one full, albeit breakout, season has been brought up by gainey and co. but i don't think his playoff performance is a huge factor. as you said, it was his first playoffs, with a young team, and most players struggled. we've seen what he can do so there's no reason to believe he can't get better. :)

...this is torture. i expect to hear an announcement well before noon that he's signed. :angry:

i totally hear you, but unfortunately the way other teams are spending money on less promising forwards (malone's deal in tampa is ridiculous) andrei's price is being pushed way up... and i rather gainey spent 4-5mil on him for this season when he doesn't really deserve it yet but we can keep him than seeing him leave through an offer sheet, just because bg tried to argue rationally and didn't want to overpay him by 1-2mil. don't get me wrong, i wouldn't want bg to do something like that all the time, but this kid is special imho and bg should do all he can to keep him. especially because this would also have a huge positive impact on little sergei ;)

BREAKING NEWS:

Montreal Canadiens agree to terms with restricted free agent Andreew Kostitsyn. Sources say it's a three year deal worth $3.25 million per year. Also, Detroit signs goalie Ty Conklin to a one year deal at $750,000. Details to follow.

Archived