Born in: Bonavista, NF, Canada

MTL Season: 4th

NHL Season: 4th

Drafted: Montréal's 8th round choice, 216th overall, in 1998

Acquired: 9th pick (8th round, 216th overall) - 1998

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think Ryder will haven a great year. I have met him and seen how he parties and I think he needs to gain maturity. I would think he will not go over 26 goals this year.

Guest Miltie01
I don't think Ryder will haven a great year. I have met him and seen how he parties and I think he needs to gain maturity. I would think he will not go over 26 goals this year.

No one partied more or abused himself more than Guy Lafleur, and no one has had great years like him since !!!!

If this is true I say party on Michael !!!!

26 goals would probably still be the most on the team

As far as the partying I'm sure the vast majority of NHL players party ALOT

No one partied more or abused himself more than Guy Lafleur, and no one has had great years like him since !!!!

If this is true I say party on Michael !!!!

:lol::lol:

Fact is, many hockey players party.

Actually, I'm pretty sure all do.

Though, I don't believe it has anything do to with their level of maturity. They like to go out and have fun aswell.

As for Ryder's point production; I can't see him getting over 30 goals.

Guest f30marco

ryder is still going to score but how much i dont know. cant say that everybody parties thiough, sergei samsonov looks like the guy that doesnt hit the night life, more of a guy who stays home next to the fire place and with a glass of wine and reads a book. no insult intended, i just see him doing that.

Guest gottaHABit

This whole thing with Ryder makes no sense, he's practically the poster child for Bob's "rebuild/ build from within" philosophy. But then again, Habs's management (... Claude Julien excluded) had little or nothing to do with his success. They essentially drafted him as an afterthought, and then went so far as to send him to the ECHL. The fact that Ryder even made it to the bigs is a testament to his own ability and his belief in himself. In the 3 years since making the NHL, Ryder has qualified for (..and in my opinion was robbed of) rookie of the year honors, and has twice lead his team in scoring. For that you don't even get an offer for a multi year deal???? A winning management would never treat a proven performer like this, they would be looking for more players like him.

Guest electron
This whole thing with Ryder makes no sense, he's practically the poster child for Bob's "rebuild/ build from within" philosophy. But then again, Habs's management (... Claude Julien excluded) had little or nothing to do with his success. They essentially drafted him as an afterthought, and then went so far as to send him to the ECHL. The fact that Ryder even made it to the bigs is a testament to his own ability and his belief in himself. In the 3 years since making the NHL, Ryder has qualified for (..and in my opinion was robbed of) rookie of the year honors, and has twice lead his team in scoring. For that you don't even get an offer for a multi year deal???? A winning management would never treat a proven performer like this, they would be looking for more players like him.

These are my feelings, almost to the letter. Ryder basically came out of nowhere, and has worked his way up the ladder thru hard work and perserverance. He definitely deserves a multi year contract, and hopefully, it will be with the habs.

I guarantee Ryder was offered a multi year deal, whether it was a fair multi year deal is anybody's guess.

For one, I disagree that the management had little or nothing to do with his success. Since Gainey/Carbo took over, he's been playing on the first line with Koivu in spite of constant pressure to give that spot to Kovalev. Also, he's been on the first PP unit all of that time, which shows that management is a big part in Ryder's success.

Also, I remember reading an interview by Ryder saying that neither side discussed a long term contract, that both were happy with the one year deal.

Guest gottaHABit
For one, I disagree that the management had little or nothing to do with his success. Since Gainey/Carbo took over, he's been playing on the first line with Koivu in spite of constant pressure to give that spot to Kovalev. Also, he's been on the first PP unit all of that time, which shows that management is a big part in Ryder's success.

Also, I remember reading an interview by Ryder saying that neither side discussed a long term contract, that both were happy with the one year deal.

I respect your opinion JL, but it I think Ryder's past performances are the reason he sees a lot of PP time. Just like Kovalev's past performances are the reason he's not on the first line.

that's a post that shows the whole situation in a nutshell.why should he settle for anything less than kovy is making.He's done more for habs the last 3 yrs than almost anyone else,and he's not in the top 5 in salary.BG should have had the foresight to seeing salaries explode for top players and locked him up last year.

Guest habfan in leafland

No offense but your comments make no sense... Would you care to explain how Management played no role in developing Ryder?!? If anything his improvement is because of management who have allowed him the time to develop! Management still gives him more opportunity then he's earned, in my opinion, to continue to become a more rounded player.

I don't know the facts behind the ECHL but it was only a 5 and 20 game stint he spent there. It could've been because he was returning from injury. It could've been that he was helping a team start the season or end the season. Maybe he didn't have a contract... (surprise, surprise)

You have absolutely ZERO knowledge of contract negotiations that went on between Gainey and Ryder, so to claim he wasn't offered a longer term deal is silly.

I respect your opinion JL, but it I think Ryder's past performances are the reason he sees a lot of PP time. Just like Kovalev's past performances are the reason he's not on the first line.

Ryder is on the PP because of his wrist shot. Having the man advantage allows the time for him to find some space and take a pass. Kovalev on the second line has more to do with wanting to spread out the talent on 2 lines, which is still a debatable strategy.

Guest gottaHABit
No offense but your comments make no sense... Would you care to explain how Management played no role in developing Ryder?!? If anything his improvement is because of management who have allowed him the time to develop! Management still gives him more opportunity then he's earned, in my opinion, to continue to become a more rounded player.

I don't know the facts behind the ECHL but it was only a 5 and 20 game stint he spent there. It could've been because he was returning from injury. It could've been that he was helping a team start the season or end the season. Maybe he didn't have a contract... (surprise, surprise)

You have absolutely ZERO knowledge of contract negotiations that went on between Gainey and Ryder, so to claim he wasn't offered a longer term deal is silly.

Ryder is on the PP because of his wrist shot. Having the man advantage allows the time for him to find some space and take a pass. Kovalev on the second line has more to do with wanting to spread out the talent on 2 lines, which is still a debatable strategy.

It's common knowledge that he wasn't offered a multi year deal. In any case, my post make no sense to you, and your reply makes even less sense to me (... no offense). Arguing beyond this point would be silly, so I won't.

Guest Handlanger
Come on Ryder! Stay consistent, have us another 30 goal campaign, and then sign a contract extension. Yes!

Hopefully he gets another thirty... BUT I predict that Kostitsyn is going to outscore Ryder! :-)

Guest Habanero

I'm up in the air about Ryder right now....

The sad fact is we can't have a repeat of our top line of last year...

Obviously playing with Latendresse for half the year didn't really help.

But the fact that Ryder had the second worse +/- is a concern.... (I guess now the worst since Shelly is gone)

I hope he makes me a believer this year.

Guest 1970 Habs

Seems the old Ryder debate will carry on until the "cows come home" or until he is no longer a Hab. Whichever will come first. :(

I hang my head in shame that we treat the team leading scorer in such a way before the season has even started. :wacko:

GO Ryder GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But the fact that Ryder had the second worse +/- is a concern.... (I guess now the worst since Shelly is gone)

What about Saku having the 3rd worse + - , how do you feel aabout that ?

Or that Latendresse , Kovalev, Higins, Boullion etc were also " - " ?

It concerns me that 3/4 of the team last year had were " minus "

It's his contract year , he becomes an UFA next year . If he wants BIG bucks or simlar money to this year , he needs to put up the points

Guest electron

If the defense plays better, then all the players +/- will get better. With Shelly gone, and if we reduce the minutes of Boullion, Dandenault and Brisebois, we will only get better. If you can't get it out of your own zone, it is inevitable, that the other team will get more chances. We were outshot too many times last year, as well as the several years before that.

Guest habfan in leafland
If the defense plays better, then all the players +/- will get better. With Shelly gone, and if we reduce the minutes of Boullion, Dandenault and Brisebois, we will only get better. If you can't get it out of your own zone, it is inevitable, that the other team will get more chances. We were outshot too many times last year, as well as the several years before that.

Of course, if the offence plays better 5 on 5 then all the players +/- will get better as well... :D

Archived