The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#3 Ryan O'byrne 2007-08

Guest JL

Guest jennifer_rocket
Is it official? Did he make the team? Great size and skill. Look for him as a staple on our back end for years to come.

Well, he's currently "on the roster," but we'll have to wait and see tomorrow if he makes the final cuts.

Guest electron

I hope he makes it over Boullion and Dandenault. I can tolerate the odd mistake from a rookie, due to learning, moreso, than from the regulars.

This defense situation is downright bizarre, but I think O'Byrne will be going back to Hamilton for awhile.

Look at the situation, we have 5 players who are guaranteed spots: Markov, Komisarek, Dandenault, Bouillion, and Hamrlik

Then you have Streit (who is back to being a defensman) and Gorges, who for various reasons, will not be sent Hamilton

That leaves 2 questions to be answered:

1.) How many defensman will we go with on roster. 7 is the Usual number, but it's possible to go with 8 and only 13 forwards?

2.) Where does Brisebois fit into this all, will he be waived?

If both of these happen (8 dmen on roster and Brisebois waived), you could see O'Byrne with a roster (but not a lineup) spot. There is also a slight possibility a trade takes place by tomorrow, but in all likelihood, O'Byrne is on his way to Hamilton tomorrow.

Guest electron

Hopefully we can flip Boullion or Dandenault for a draft pick. I don't even care what round. We can't keep giving roster spots to the veterans, when they keep making mistakes, over and over.

This defense situation is downright bizarre, but I think O'Byrne will be going back to Hamilton for awhile.

Look at the situation, we have 5 players who are guaranteed spots: Markov, Komisarek, Dandenault, Bouillion, and Hamrlik

Then you have Streit (who is back to being a defensman) and Gorges, who for various reasons, will not be sent Hamilton

1.) How many defensman will we go with on roster. 7 is the Usual number, but it's possible to go with 8 and only 13 forwards?

If both of these happen (8 dmen on roster and Brisebois waived), you could see O'Byrne with a roster (but not a lineup) spot. There is also a slight possibility a trade takes place by tomorrow, but in all likelihood, O'Byrne is on his way to Hamilton tomorrow.

I remember reading not long ago that we will be going with 8 defensemen this season. I think it was brianw6 who had found the article if I'm not mistaken, since I was wondering the same thing.

Guest Handlanger

Although I have to say, Dandy's spot is not even close to be guaranteed at the moment...

He'll be back. The hab's just need to get rid of the back log on D and since he has a two way contract this makes sense from an organization. Perhaps they are in the works as we speak for trading a couple d-men and didn't want to lower their worth. Guess only BG knows

Although I have to say, Dandy's spot is not even close to be guaranteed at the moment...

He has almost 4 million left on his contract, his spot is guarnateed. The only veteren who could have been waived was Brisebois.

Anyways, this is such a shame. I knew this would happen, O'Byrne was fighting for a spot that didn't exist. Having to send him down thanks to Brisebois, Bouillion, and Dandenault was not Gainey's best achievement.

I have no doubt he will be up with the big club at some point this season. Too bad, he really worked hard this training camp.

It's hard to say. With 8 dmen on roster, that means you have to have almost half of our dmen injured before we need a callup

I remember reading not long ago that we will be going with 8 defensemen this season. I think it was brianw6 who had found the article if I'm not mistaken, since I was wondering the same thing.

Oh okay. I guess we did that last year. ALthough it's a little strange. Normally you put the 23rd man at forward because you have twice as many players there. With 8 dmen you are scratching 1/4 of your defense every game. Or we could just go with a 22 man roster and save a little cap space.

Guest JIMVINNY

I'm certain that within a couple of weeks, there will be certain teams realizing they need a bit more depth on D, and we'll see Gainey be able to make a trade or two. at that point, we might see a call-up of o'byrne, and while he may not play a lot, he will get some game action.

He has almost 4 million left on his contract, his spot is guarnateed. The only veteren who could have been waived was Brisebois.

Anyways, this is such a shame. I knew this would happen, O'Byrne was fighting for a spot that didn't exist. Having to send him down thanks to Brisebois, Bouillion, and Dandenault was not Gainey's best achievement.

The spot existed. He wasn't ready at all in my opinion. Way too slow with his feet for the NHL yet. Komi was the same in his early days.

He'll be back, but this was really a no-brainer as he kept leaving players uncovered on the PK (behind him alone in front of the goalie), he was missing/late on his checks and he was getting burned by speed big-time. The game I saw he also got 3 penalties.

Not ready.

But as others have pointed out, he'll get call-ups. That's how the Habs seem to operate. Give the kids a taste (like 10-20 games a year for 1 to 3 years) then have them take the big leap.

He's big and he'll be a really solid D-man in the NHL one day, but he's not there yet.

I agree with Jigger. I like O'Byrne's potential and his willingness to hit, but he is not NHL ready in the here and now. Teams were absolutely exploiting him down low in the preseason and he was blowing coverage assignments left, right, and centre. And that was preseason. Regular-season games would have been a nightmare. O'Byrne is best served back in Hamilton where he can mature as a player and work on his hockey fundamentals. It does no good to throw a punishing hit if it leaves you 10 feet out of position and leads to a goal against.

The spot existed. He wasn't ready at all in my opinion. Way too slow with his feet for the NHL yet. Komi was the same in his early days.

He'll be back, but this was really a no-brainer as he kept leaving players uncovered on the PK (behind him alone in front of the goalie), he was missing/late on his checks and he was getting burned by speed big-time. The game I saw he also got 3 penalties.

Not ready.

But as others have pointed out, he'll get call-ups. That's how the Habs seem to operate. Give the kids a taste (like 10-20 games a year for 1 to 3 years) then have them take the big leap.

He's big and he'll be a really solid D-man in the NHL one day, but he's not there yet.

Fair enough, I guess I do just see Komisarek in this kid, and I know it was a long process, even once he made it to the NHL, until he was anymore than a 7th dman.

But after last years Calder Cup winning team everyone brags about, was there not one defensman ready for the NHL?

Guest 1970 Habs

I think the writing on the wall became clearer with the strong play of Gorges. Had Gorges not played well then I think O'Byrne may of had a chance. However with the number of defencemen in Montreal I prefer that O'Byrne goes back to Hamilton for the ice time.

O'Byrne with one season under his belt will be able to help Valentenko and Carle (once he recovers form his injury) adjust in Hamilton. It will be an interesting defence in Hamilton.

Off the 3 who got cut, he's the one I'm least surprised to see sent down. He has shown great things this year but he also has many important things to work on. Defense is the toughest position to crack the line-up for a young player after goalies. If a rookie forward makes a mistake, there's the defensemen and the goalie to fix it. When a defenseman makes a mistake, only the goalie can fix it. When a goalie makes a mistake... well you all get the point.

Good luck Ryan. He'll get tons of icetime in Hamilton which can only result in positives in his case. Hammer those AHLers! :D

Oh okay. I guess we did that last year. ALthough it's a little strange. Normally you put the 23rd man at forward because you have twice as many players there. With 8 dmen you are scratching 1/4 of your defense every game. Or we could just go with a 22 man roster and save a little cap space.

When you have two defensemen who can play very well as forward, I'm not overly surprised to see us keep 8.

To add to JL's point, defensemen take longer to mature than forwards. Playing great D has less to do with pure 'talent' and one-on-one skills as it does with your on-ice vision and being able to read and anticipate plays. That's what makes a good defenseman, above and beyond how big you are and how many bone-crushing hits you throw, and it takes time to develop. The speed of the NHL game is much faster than the AHL, so it's no surprise that young blueliners struggle in their first few games here. I'm pretty confident O'Byrne will be back next year.

Guest fansince1975

O'Byrne will be back in Montreal very soon. BG just needs to get rid of one or two veteran players that are not helping the team succeed.

I hope he plays great in Hamilton at the start of the season so it forces BG to make room for him.

Archived