• Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Greek Hab

To Columbus clb38.gif

Huet

Ryder

To Montreal mon38.gif

Rick Nash

Reasons; CJB has no good goalies what so ever. Leclaire is Terrible, with a capital 'T', and Norrena is more of a back-up goalie, yet he has a better winning average than Lecalire does. Huet would be a good tender for the Jackets, since he does see alot of shots with us, and Cristo would probably get the same thing in CBJ, since their D. is garbage.

Before I start, know that I'm basing this trade proposal on two things:

1. Waddell, the Thrashers' GM, has a self imposed cap to respect, his team is not good, doesn't have enough depth even with Kovalchuk and Hossa in the line-up, and he stated publicly that his priority was to re-sign Hossa who is scheduled to become a UFA at the end of the season.
  2. Kevin Lowe stated in early July that he was shocked to hear that a young star player was available through trade talks. He didn't name him but many so-called experts were thinking that it was Kovalchuk.
On the other hand, I'm still stuck on the idea that this team needs an offensive star, a true natural goals scorer. With the signature of Andrei Markov, one of Russia's top players in the world right now, I truly feel that Russians are still drawn by Montreal in spite of the treatment to Kovalev. Of course it would be great to land Markov's good friend and training partner Alexander Ovechkin but the odds of that happening are slim to none.

However, I still feel that the Atlanta Thrashers could be persuaded in trading Ilya Kovalchuk. Understanding that it would have to cost us big time to get him, here's what I think would at the very least get their attention and possibly convince them:

To Montreal:

To Atlanta:

1st round pick in 2008

Also, for the first time in a couple of decades, it feels like we have enough depth and assets to complete a trade of some magnitude which would have an immediate impact. We'll never finish low enough to draft that top prospect unless we trade for one. Atlanta would then have enough money to re-sign pending UFA Marian Hossa.

Then I sign UFA defenseman David Tanabe to a two year deal.

Our team could look somewhat like this:

Kovalchuk - Koivu - Kovalev

Higgins - Plekanec - Kostitsyn

Streit - Smolinski - Kostopoulos

Latendresse - Chipchura - Lapierre

Murray - Grabovski

Markov - Tanabe

Hamrlik - Brisebois

Bouillon - Gorges

O'Byrne

Huet

Price/Halak

Guest habs_4_9_10

I'm OK with your trade (I'd prefer not to trade Komi, but if it's for an all-star i'd think about it.), but i'd rather take Danny Markov as UFA than David Tanabe...

Guest Miltie01
I'm OK with your trade (I'd prefer not to trade Komi, but if it's for an all-star i'd think about it.), but i'd rather take Danny Markov as UFA than David Tanabe...

I like Komi, but trading him if the return was right would not be felt in a couple of seasons.

With guys like McDonogh, Valentanko, O'Byrne, Fisher and Emelin coming we could afford to lose him for a really good deal.

Guest Oatmeal777

I'd like to make a pitch for Dion Phaneuf when he becomes a Restricted Free Agent. If I understand correctly the Calgary Flames let Roman Hamrlik go only because they didn't have the cap room to sign him. Well, if they're that hard up we can offer Phaneuf a huge contract and either they let him go, or they buyout/trade/don't resign one or two of their top players (paywise). So we get Dion Phaneuf for a ton of money and picks (worth it imo) or they cut loose one of their other players and we pick him up.

The drawback to all this is that it will never happen because Bob Gainey has too much class to pull a Lowe.

I'd like to make a pitch for Dion Phaneuf when he becomes a Restricted Free Agent. If I understand correctly the Calgary Flames let Roman Hamrlik go only because they didn't have the cap room to sign him. Well, if they're that hard up we can offer Phaneuf a huge contract and either they let him go, or they buyout/trade/don't resign one or two of their top players (paywise). So we get Dion Phaneuf for a ton of money and picks (worth it imo) or they cut loose one of their other players and we pick him up.

The drawback to all this is that it will never happen because Bob Gainey has too much class to pull a Lowe.

#1 i think you're right - gainey would never do it

#2 i think calgary would let ANY player - that includes iginla and kipper - go before they lost Phaneuf. He's their new franchise player & will still be having all star seasons long after Iggy & Kipper are retired.

There may be players that can be pulled from the flames (again, i dont think gainey would) but Phaneuf isnt one, imho.

Guest OutlawTorn81

Far too many Halak rumours circulating these days. It all seems very short-sighted to me, seeing as Huet is going to be a free agent after this season and my thinking is that the Habs will be going with Price starting next season. They're going to want a credible back up for him, and since Yann Danis is also in the final year of his contract, all that goaltending depth the Habs have right now may not be around next year at this time. Gainey's far too much the strategist to make a move involving Halak, I think.

I think that is WAY too much for Kovalchuck...

the problem with so many trade scenarios is that one side thinks "thats way too much" and the other thinks "thats not enough"

The scenario JL has suggested - part of me thinks "wow thats a lot to give up for Kovalchuk" - but then the other side of me thinks...would they even accept?

To get a bonefide superstar you need to pay...dearly. As much as Id love to add a franchise player, part of me thinks "lets wait and see" - between our second and third year players, the acquisitions over the summer - and the emergence of a couple of our prospects...im not entirely sure we dont have a contending team already. I mean imagine for a minute that:

* Koivu-Ryder-Higgins plays a whole season like they started last year before higgins' injury. Thats 60-75 pts each - with higgins & ryder likely hitting 30 goals.

* Kostitsyn's preseason is the real deal. The guy has been amazing - well over a point a game if im not mistaken. If he plays like this & brings Kovalev & Pleks along for the ride, we could have a second line (#1a) that meets or beats the production of the first

* Smolinski / Lats / ?? provides us with punch from the 3rd line

* Markov-Hammer-Komi-Obyrne (or whomeever takes that last spot) gives us a potent & defensively sound top 4.

If all of those things can happen - and I dont think any are a stretch - we'll be doing VERY well this season...

Would I add a superstar if i could? Sure - but only if it means not upsetting the solid lineup we seem to be producing - and only if we can move primarily older players - I really dont want to move much youth.

Guest overlords
the problem with so many trade scenarios is that one side thinks "thats way too much" and the other thinks "thats not enough"

The scenario JL has suggested - part of me thinks "wow thats a lot to give up for Kovalchuk" - but then the other side of me thinks...would they even accept?

To get a bonefide superstar you need to pay...dearly. As much as Id love to add a franchise player, part of me thinks "lets wait and see" - between our second and third year players, the acquisitions over the summer - and the emergence of a couple of our prospects...im not entirely sure we dont have a contending team already. I mean imagine for a minute that:

* Koivu-Ryder-Higgins plays a whole season like they started last year before higgins' injury. Thats 60-75 pts each - with higgins & ryder likely hitting 30 goals.

* Kostitsyn's preseason is the real deal. The guy has been amazing - well over a point a game if im not mistaken. If he plays like this & brings Kovalev & Pleks along for the ride, we could have a second line (#1a) that meets or beats the production of the first

* Smolinski / Lats / ?? provides us with punch from the 3rd line

* Markov-Hammer-Komi-Obyrne (or whomeever takes that last spot) gives us a potent & defensively sound top 4.

If all of those things can happen - and I dont think any are a stretch - we'll be doing VERY well this season...

Would I add a superstar if i could? Sure - but only if it means not upsetting the solid lineup we seem to be producing - and only if we can move primarily older players - I really dont want to move much youth.

The thing that i find ridiculous is that we have enough cap room leftover to sign a big name UFA ( if they were still UFA i mean). If we get rid of dandenault/bouilllon/both like i think they will, that's even more cap room, with a team that looks so promising, could u imagine if we had signed a bonafide superstar?

Wishlist:

3rd line:-----------Players

(40goals-42assits)Chipchura

(20goals-25assits)Smolinski

(27goals-13assits)Latendresse

I don't think Chipchura will ever hit 40 goals... Thats not his style. I'd be satisfied if he had a 35-40 point season and had a +/- of more than 10.

Guest overlords
Wishlist:

3rd line:-----------Players

(40goals-42assits)Chipchura

(20goals-25assits)Smolinski

(27goals-13assits)Latendresse

I really don't se ehow the 2 defensive forwards on that line would get more points than the powerfoward who would get PP time. That looks like some real bias right there :rolleyes:

Guest HabsMan11
maybe 40 for his career

lmao how optimistic :D

i can see him scoring 10-20 a year in his career...kind of like smolinski, which is y he needs to make the team while smoke is here so he can teach him

I don't think a major deal is possible, seeing as we would have to give some important pieces to recieve such a player. Ryder will be as good as gone, and I do believe Zherdev , once on a better team matet playing with better players will produce just as much as Ryder and possibly more, and is 3 years younger. Huet would be the key part of the deal, as Columbus is missing a number 1 goalie. After being elected for the all-star game, Huet is a great goalie in this league, and could help Montreal, but with him, being a UFA at the end of this year, we should get something in return for him, this is where Brassard comes in. Highly touted, by many scouts, has the frame and skill to become a solid 1st line center. Being great friends and linemate in Drummondvile with Latendresse can only help. Between Price and Halak, Huet will barely be missed. Some might argue that it is not logical to go into a season with such inexperice in the goal, but many teams are proceeding this way, Minnesota,L.A,Pittsburgh, just to name a few. Columbus is weak on the blueline, a defensemen with experience, such as Dandenault can only help. Rivet was not higly thought of in Montreal, but went on to be SJs #1 Dman. Picks are exchanged, since ClB seems to getting the better deal at the moment, they would surrender a higher pick.

To Mtl: Zherdev,Brassard,2nd pick

To Clb: Ryder,Huet,Dandenault,4th pick

Higgins-Koivu-Zherdev

Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Kovalev

Smolinski-Brassard-Latendresse

Lapierre-Chipchura-Kostopolous

Markov-Komisarek

Hamerlik-Streit

Brisebois-Bouillon/Gorges/OByrne

Price

Halak

Thoughts?