The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Max Pacioretty

franck5890

Guest xe_liam88

I have a feeling Pax will be in Hamilton next year, if he isnt in Montreal....the kid is huge and he is physically ready to play in the pro's. The only up side to a NCAA program is you get to do studies, and it gives you four years to develop physically. A guy like Turris will benefit from spending 2 or more years in Uni because he is scronny...Pax will be in Pro shape and I think after this year his skills will be ready as well...This guy could become a much better version of Chris Higgins...as he will probably play a Higgins like game add the size!

...also...I think the fact that everyone was so down on this pick shows how much all these fans Witching with a B and complaining really know about hockey. I think that as fans we are required to cheer our team on and not boo them in the arena when they have a bad game!

Just think if you were a high class player, would you want to come to a place where you could score a goal in 79 of 82 games, but the 3 games that you didnt score were three in a row because maybe you were having a bad week, and you got booed senselessly and turned inside out...I know I wouldnt and I know most players in the league do not either! It is impossible to perform to 100% of your ability over an 82 game professional season...impossible, so as fans it is absolutley ridiculous to think that

Guest 1970 Habs
http://www.sportsline.com/collegehockey/story/10518197

Thats a good read on Max if anyone is interested...

Excellent read for everybody. Thanks Habguy. :D

The best part I like about the article are these two things from Michigan coach Red Berenson:

"He doesn't have to be told," Berenson said. "He knows to stick up for his teammates."

"He's been a good two-way player as a freshman, to be able to come in and play (on the first line)," Berenson said. "Think about it. Porter's line every night plays against the other team's top line, and Max has been able to hold his own in that department defensively as well as offensively."

Guest 1970 Habs
His stats after 18 games:

GP G A PTS PIMS

18 5 13 18 32

Michigan is ranked 2nd Nationwide in winning percentage and offensive scoring averaging 4.12 goals per game. This is a pwerhouse team yet Max plays on the top line as a rookie. The coach in Michigan says his size opens up ice space for his more creative linemates but that Max is more than able to keep up with them.

To put things into perspective on how well he is doing as a rookie:

Of his 5 goals (2 are game winning goals) the other 3 are power play goals (second highest on the team)

He is +12, second highest on the the team behind Mark Mitera who is +13

His 18 pts ties him for 8th nationwide for pts per game for rookies and ranked 61st nationwide of all players.

Any wonder why he made Team USA?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest 1970 Habs

I do not think Max was happy after the game at the World Juniors. Here is what he had to say:

“We are obviously disappointed about the loss but we’re playing for a medal tomorrow so we have got to get over the fact that we just lost a game that we didn’t show up for,” said the American forward Max Pacioretty.

However American head coach John Hynes agreed. He is what he had to say:

“I don’t think it was our A-game tonight. I give credit to them but we didn’t play as well as we should have.”

Source: http://www.worldjuniors2008.com/zapas.asp?id=1899

Max has 0 points? :huh:

He played on the 4th line, with no PP time. He did a good job in his role; in the game vs Canada I thought he was one of the better American players. By the end he was getting some time on the top line, but it was too late.

Still, Pax is an awesome prospect. He's got wicked speed for a guy his size, and he showed in this tournament that even if he doesn't become a high-end scoring machine he's got the tools to fill a checking role. Like the versatility in his game.

He played on the 4th line, with no PP time. He did a good job in his role; in the game vs Canada I thought he was one of the better American players. By the end he was getting some time on the top line, but it was too late.

Still, Pax is an awesome prospect. He's got wicked speed for a guy his size, and he showed in this tournament that even if he doesn't become a high-end scoring machine he's got the tools to fill a checking role. Like the versatility in his game.

I agree. I really liked what I saw of him today.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 1970 Habs

Looks like Max is out with a shoulder injury.

Here is a must Read for Habs Fans - The Max Pax (Package)

Source: http://www.mlive.com/sports/kzgazette/inde....xml&coll=7

Thursday, January 10, 2008

Freshman helps propel Michigan to No. 1 in country

BY RICK SHANLEY

Special to the Gazette

KALAMAZOO -- The night was October 13th.

The place was the Excel Energy Center in Minneapolis.

And it was the moment Michigan hockey coach Red Berenson realized Max Pacioretty wasn't a typical freshman.

As play moved through the neutral zone, Pacioretty cut across the middle and crushed 217-pound Minnesota forward Ryan Stoa with a hit. Right at center ice. In front of more than 14,000 fans.

``That was a big-time hit,'' Berenson said. ``That was like, `wow.'''

Anyone who's met Berenson or talked to him briefly would probably agree the veteran coach isn't easily excitable. But that play caught his attention because it illustrated how complete a player the 19-year-old Pacioretty (pronounced: Patch-uh-ready) already is.

He doesn't just play on Michigan's top forward line with seniors Kevin Porter and Chad Kolarik -- he makes it work.

The fact he's scored 18 points in his first 18 games is impressive, but his willingness to use his 6-foot-2, 215-pound body as a wrecking ball is almost more valuable because it creates room for Porter and Kolarik, Michigan's top two scorers.

``One of the things that gets your attention is he's become our most physical player right from the get go,'' Berenson said. ``That's a big part of his game. He's strong on his feet and he plays the man with authority.''

For a season that began with some big questions -- How will the Wolverines compete with just three seniors and 12 freshmen? Can they easily shake off last spring's 8-5 loss in the first round of the NCAA Tournament? -- Pacioretty has delivered a lot of comforting answers.

Thanks in large part to his play, the Wolverines are 16-2 and ranked first in the country heading into this weekend's home-and-home series against Western Michigan.

They're riding a five-game winning streak and Pacioretty is riding a hockey high after the last 12 months he's had.

The Montreal Canadiens drafted him in the first round of last summer's NHL Entry Draft and then Team USA invited him to be on the World Junior squad that played the Broncos last month in an exhibition before heading off to the World Junior Championships in the Czech Republic.

It's Pacioretty's ability -- as was illustrated in Minnesota -- to leave a mark that makes him such a hot commodity.

Just ask WMU goaltender Jerry Kuhn.

``He has one of the hardest shots I've faced in a long time,'' said Kuhn, who played on the same junior team with Pacioretty last year. ``One time he hit me in the head and bent my cage so bad I had to get a new one.''

Through it all, Pacioretty seems to have an almost out-of-body understanding and appreciation for where he is and where he's going. He didn't grow up in a hockey family, but he was drawn to the sport and to the New York Rangers as a kid in New Canaan, Conn. He instantly fell in love with the University of Michigan when he and his dad took a tour and, like many players who have laced up their skates for Berenson, Pacioretty is already enamored with Michigan hockey.

``The second we left for the World Juniors I realized how fortunate I am to wear a Michigan jersey and I couldn't wait to get back,'' Pacioretty said. ``I've been counting down the days since I could get back.''

It's an outlook that will likely make it difficult for Pacioretty if the Canadiens come calling in the next year or two, which is a good possibility. For now, though, he's playing as if there's no tomorrow.

And Berenson is enjoying the spectacle.

``You sense that he's a little worldlier. He's got an air of confidence about him, but also an air of awe and humility,'' Berenson said. ``I think he's enjoying this a lot more than even he thought he would.''

Guest jennifer_rocket
I think I forgot to mention that Max is out with a shoulder injury. :(

Oh man, shoulder injury. :unsure:

Do you know how severe the injury is? Or for how long he will out?

I'm super excited about this player!

Archived